Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Benny Napoleon lashes out at Metro Times

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...s#.UfEsttLVAaA

MT: What are some weaknesses that you have that you would have to overcome?
    Napoleon:I can’t think of any. You’d have to give me some time.
    MT: OK. Well, maybe we can come back to that, if you think about it while we’re talking. I mean, at every job interview I’ve ever had, “they say no one’s perfect, everybody has some weaknesses.” But maybe this is an exception.
    Napoleon: I’m not in a job interview; I’m in an interview with you for the Metro Times.
    MT: Right, but we kind of treat it, you know—
    Napoleon: I’m not interviewing for a job with Metro Times.

First of all, these are interview questions you would encounter for entry-level, part-time jobs. I have asked these exact same questions myself [[even the movie one). If you can't answer these questions without seriously faltering, your intellect is extremely questionable.

Secondly, is there seriously not an understanding that newspapers and periodicals interview political candidates? That is essentially the only way we the citizens get to interview them.

He's the same. He is more of the same. Provincial, buffoonish, ignorant, uncreative, rude, unprofessional, and above all ill-equipped to handle a grown-up job. Then again, we know that from his entirely ineffective use of his time for the past couple decades.

This may seem moot, but to me it pointedly speaks to what an intellectual inferior Benny is, along with apparently being a hostile jerk. We have had way too much of that. Why people want more of the same here is beyond me.

I'm not only voting for Duggan, I've decided to volunteer for Duggan. We simply cannot have a man like Benny in the Manoogian Mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...s#.UfEsttLVAaA

MT: What are some weaknesses that you have that you would have to overcome?
    Napoleon:I can’t think of any. You’d have to give me some time.
    MT: OK. Well, maybe we can come back to that, if you think about it while we’re talking. I mean, at every job interview I’ve ever had, “they say no one’s perfect, everybody has some weaknesses.” But maybe this is an exception.
    Napoleon: I’m not in a job interview; I’m in an interview with you for the Metro Times.
    MT: Right, but we kind of treat it, you know—
    Napoleon: I’m not interviewing for a job with Metro Times.

First of all, these are interview questions you would encounter for entry-level, part-time jobs. I have asked these exact same questions myself [[even the movie one). If you can't answer these questions without seriously faltering, your intellect is extremely questionable.

Secondly, is there seriously not an understanding that newspapers and periodicals interview political candidates? That is essentially the only way we the citizens get to interview them.

He's the same. He is more of the same. Provincial, buffoonish, ignorant, uncreative, rude, unprofessional, and above all ill-equipped to handle a grown-up job. Then again, we know that from his entirely ineffective use of his time for the past couple decades.

This may seem moot, but to me it pointedly speaks to what an intellectual inferior Benny is, along with apparently being a hostile jerk. We have had way too much of that. Why people want more of the same here is beyond me.

I'm not only voting for Duggan, I've decided to volunteer for Duggan. We simply cannot have a man like Benny in the Manoogian Mansion.
    His answers bring back fond memories of Coleman Young.

I have to side with Benny Napoleon on this one.

Questions such as that are a waste of time. They do nothing to actually gauge the abilities of the person you're asking the question to. Most people give canned responses such as "I'm a workaholic", so if anyhting you're simply going to end up hiring a person who can simply interview good. No one's going to reveal their true weaknesses when it would jeopardize their chance of getting the job.

Either it's hacky journalism, or they are trying to sandbag Napoleon. Given the splashy headline in the Deadline Detroit repost, I'm guessing the latter.

You don't ask someone who's had mostly the same job for 38 years what his weaknesses are. Maybe they should have asked him if he could work weekends as well? How many words per minute he can type?

I don't care for Napoleon, but it's pretty transparent how everyone is lining up behind Duggan [[whom I don't care for either.)

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I have to side with Benny Napoleon on this one.

Questions such as that are a waste of time. They do nothing to actually gauge the abilities of the person you're asking the question to. Most people give canned responses such as "I'm a workaholic", so if anyhting you're simply going to end up hiring a person who can simply interview good. No one's going to reveal their true weaknesses when it would jeopardize their chance of getting the job.

You know, when I run for political office, I totally intend on being an absolute jerk to the exact people who might help me get my name out in a positive manner.

I think this shows that Benny isn't going to be the type of person we need to rebuild the city of Detroit. What I think we need is someone who can work with the region, as well as ALL of the citizens, not just those who they are pandering to for votes. I don't actually like any of the candidates, but Benny seems to be more of the same crap we've seen for years.

Also can we take bets on how soon Malik Shabazz and Sam Riddle endorse a candidate? I can't wait for that sideshow.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    You know, when I run for political office, I totally intend on being an absolute jerk to the exact people who might help me get my name out in a positive manner.

I think this shows that Benny isn't going to be the type of person we need to rebuild the city of Detroit. What I think we need is someone who can work with the region, as well as ALL of the citizens, not just those who they are pandering to for votes. I don't actually like any of the candidates, but Benny seems to be more of the same crap we've seen for years.

Also can we take bets on how soon Malik Shabazz and Sam Riddle endorse a candidate? I can't wait for that sideshow.
    Good Morning, Malik Shabazz is endorsing Mike Duggan. Have a nice day!

I think this shows that Benny isn't going to be the type of person we need to rebuild the city of Detroit.
    That's what those questions are intended to show. Are you a thoughtful, creative, introspective, patient, person who thinks quickly on your feet, or are you a buffoonish jerk who simply wants to get hired/elected? If you are unable or are unwilling to answer simple, inoffensive questions [[regardless of what the question is), you're probably not the best candidate for, well, anything.

Questions like that aren't usually asked to determine what your actual weaknesses are. It's the quality of the response that is usually more useful. But, whatever, apparently a bunch of people here are HR experts now too.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Either it's hacky journalism, or they are trying to sandbag Napoleon. Given the splashy headline in the Deadline Detroit repost, I'm guessing the latter.
    I am reading through the full interview now and I recommend you do the same. They ask some very valid questions about his tenure as police chief, and some other questions that obviously got him riled up since he didn't want to answer them. They aren't sandbagging him, they are asking him legit questions that should be asked of any candidate. I would ask Tom Barrow about why he keeps running. Lisa Howze, Certified Public Accountant, about her qualifications and ability to do math. Krystal Crittendon about her qualifications, since being a lawyer isn't really the same as being a mayor. Duggan about his management stint at DMC that ended with it being sold to a for-profit, then being handed off again. Also why he couldn't have waited two weeks to file his damn papers like any reasonable person. If you're running for office, you need to expect this type of poking and prodding. We as citizens deserve to have those questions asked.

I read all of the interviews and Benny's by far was the most contentious of them. He was not that forthcoming about his record as police chief and the interview went south from there. Benny seems to be hanging his hat on the cop per square mile plan. It was the only thing concrete the interview could get out of him. The concept does interest me, however I would like to know where it has been done before and how effective was it. Duggan's answers to basically the same questions were head and shoulders better than Benny's

That's what those questions are intended to show. Are you a thoughtful, creative, introspective, patient, person who thinks quickly on your feet, or are you a buffoonish jerk who simply wants to get hired/elected? If you are unable or are unwilling to answer simple, inoffensive questions [[regardless of what the question is), you're probably not the best candidate for, well, anything.

Questions like that aren't usually asked to determine what your actual weaknesses are. It's the quality of the response that is usually more useful. But, whatever, apparently a bunch of people here are HR experts now too.
    For the record, I have a degree in Human Resources. So while I never claimed to be an expert, I do know a thing or two about how HR works.

And based on my understanding of how HR works, I also have a vitriol hate for HR. To say how well you can answer a silly question such as "What are your weaknesses" should be a measure of one's ability to do the job is silly. It is this crap that's only worsening the structural unemployment crisis we have now. According to HR's logic, despite the fact that you meet all requirements for the position, because you're not capable of giving a canned response to a stupid or selecting feel-good answers on a personality test, you're automatically disqualified.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    For the record, I have a degree in Human Resources. So while I never claimed to be an expert, I do know a thing or two about how HR works.

And based on my understanding of how HR works, I also have a vitriol hate for HR. To say how well you can answer a silly question such as "What are your weaknesses" should be a measure of one's ability to do the job is silly. It is this crap that's only worsening the structural unemployment crisis we have now. According to HR's logic, despite the fact that you meet all requirements for the position, because you're not capable of giving a canned response to a stupid or selecting feel-good answers on a personality test, you're automatically disqualified.
    While I agree that the question seems silly the reason it is asked is because the interviewer is hoping to find some red flags in the responses. If a person is stupid enough to say one of my biggest weakness is getting up in the morning this should set off some flags even with a candidate who is otherwise qualified to do the job. Now most people are savvy enough not to get caught like that but you would be surprise at the people who get tripped up. But back to Benny the reason that question set him off so was because he was so evasive about his record and he didn't appreciate it, so as a result he came off like a jerk at the tail end of the interview.

Napoleon: I’m not in a job interview;
    Napoleon: I’m not interviewing for a job ...
    Uhh, yeah, you are Benny.

its not the answer to the dumb question, its the RESPONSE to the question.

reminds me of sarah palin, 'what newspapers do you read?'
    'all of them'.

At a private gathering [[non-fundraiser) I asked Mr. Napoleon point-blank what were the top 2-3 industries that he felt city leadership should be trying to attract/cultivate in Detroit? His response was that the city should [[essentially) double-down on reasserting manufacturing en masse. I disagree.

Any person who wants to be mayor of Detroit is nuts. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I don't care for Napoleon, but it's pretty transparent how everyone is lining up behind Duggan [[whom I don't care for either.)
    It's essentially affirmitive action for white suburbanites. Bonus points if Irish and in with the McNamara mob.

Run Wayne County into the ground, be a key cog in the most corrupt political machine in the state, and fail the most basic aspect of campaigning [[qualifying for ballot), and yet Duggan is the "savior".

Can you imagine if an African American Detroiter failed to qualify for the ballot and had Duggan's dismal record of corruption and failure? You think they would be promoted by Metro Times and others as a potential savior?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Good Morning, Malik Shabazz is endorsing Mike Duggan. Have a nice day!
    And if you can keep ahead of Duggan's white-washers, the Tom Sawyers, you can see the places Shabazz hangs out. He's been "tagging in" Duggan all over town!
    Last edited by Gannon; July-25-13 at 11:43 AM.

I'm pretty sure the Metro Times, who may very well be the best source for beneath-the-surface local politics and their related issues, is pretty tired of the same old horseshit that qualifies for leadership in a town that has none. I wouldn't be surprised if they endorsed Lisa Howze singularly based on her lack of ties to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    It's essentially affirmitive action for white suburbanites. Bonus points if Irish and in with the McNamara mob.

Run Wayne County into the ground, be a key cog in the most corrupt political machine in the state, and fail the most basic aspect of campaigning [[qualifying for ballot), and yet Duggan is the "savior".

Can you imagine if an African American Detroiter failed to qualify for the ballot and had Duggan's dismal record of corruption and failure? You think they would be promoted by Metro Times and others as a potential savior?
    Bham1982... please give us some examples of where Duggan has been a failure as head of the DMC?

He took a hospital group that was deep into red ink and brought it back into the black... how is that a failure?

He took low occupancy at his hospitals... added a 29 minutes or less waiting room to doctor policy... and in that way increased the number of patients in his hospitals... how is that a failure?

He prevented Karmanos from leaving the DMC group... how is that a failure?

Personally, I don't like the man... I think he is a bully... but maybe that's what the city needs...

Looking forward to some examples on your part about his failures...

Bonus points if Irish and in with the McNamara mob.

Run Wayne County into the ground,
    McNamara & Duggan DID NOT run Wayne County into the ground. They came in & cleaned up the mess that Lucas left behind. Duggan was the one doing most of that clean up work.
    Last edited by jackie5275; July-25-13 at 11:25 AM.

what is his strategy? More police right? Police police police? Does he have an economic plan or is it just a law enforcement plan because if thats it... IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Metro Times, who may very well be the best source for beneath-the-surface local politics and their related issues, is pretty tired of the same old horseshit that qualifies for leadership in a town that has none. I wouldn't be surprised if they endorsed Lisa Howze singularly based on her lack of ties to anyone.
    Did you know that Lisa Howze CPA, is a Certified Public Accountant? And she looked over Detroit's finances and everything is A-OK! And its just "Rick Snyder" manufacturing this crisis to take away your vote! The pensions are fine, the city could easily pay for more services except things and stuff Lisa Howze, Certified Public Accountant, for Mayor!

So in other words, he's exactly the type of candidate that has been successful in Detroit for the last few decades. A little attack on the hipster entertainment paper will probably be a feather in his cap.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; July-25-13 at 11:17 PM. Reason: remove errant content

Did you know that Lisa Howze CPA, is a Certified Public Accountant? And she looked over Detroit's finances and everything is A-OK! And its just "Rick Snyder" manufacturing this crisis to take away your vote! The pensions are fine, the city could easily pay for more services except things and stuff Lisa Howze, Certified Public Accountant, for Mayor!
    Hey.. I'm a CPA also, plus I'm a bankruptcy expert vote for me, says the convicted felon.

It's essentially affirmitive action for white suburbanites.
    Otherwise known as "America."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast