Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Imagine the system. Think of how many people profit from this nonsense. The lawyers, the judges, the huge security apparatus. Not too many people are willing to rock the boat finally. The total of wasted years and lives in many instances to feed this system amounts to a bad science fiction novel. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Imagine the system. Think of how many people profit from this nonsense. The lawyers, the judges, the huge security apparatus. Not too many people are willing to rock the boat finally. The total of wasted years and lives in many instances to feed this system amounts to a bad science fiction novel. Amen.
    Agreed, why has it taken so long for us to realize how costly this war has been. How many families ruined. I just recently became friends on FB with a JoAnne Fosberg who was sentenced to like 4 years in prison because he rented space to a medical marijuana grow operation which was completely endorsed by the State of Michigan. The Feds came in and now his christian family is in ruins, JoAnne has moved to the Carolinas to be near her husband in prison. They had a nice life in mid michigan but no more.

Things are changing but so damn slowly.

Good video Jimaz, Ill be sharing that.

It just makes me so angry when people complain about the welfare state when they cant even see how the real damage that other government "necessities" are causing so much more damage to our country. I really used to believe in this place.

Default Despite Widespread Juvenile Abuse, Private Juvenile Jail Firm Expands Empire

We look at a major new investigation into how Youth Services International, a private prison company that runs juvenile detention centers, is rapidly expanding its services, despite a record of abuse and neglect over the past 25 years. Despite allegations that include the neglect and abuse of young prisoners and the bribing of public officials to win contracts, Youth Services International has expanded its contracts to operate juvenile prisons in several states. More than 40,000 boys and girls in 16 states have gone through its facilities in the past two decades. This comes as nearly 40 percent of all detained juveniles are now committed to private facilities, and in Florida, it is 100 percent. We are joined by Chris Kirkham, business reporter at The Huffington Post, where he has just published his new two-part investigative series, "Prisoners of Profit: Private Prison Empire Rises Despite Startling Record of Juvenile Abuse." Kirkham explains: "When oversight is not as strong as it can be, companies are only going to be incentivized to do what the government that's paying them makes them do. And so in these cases if the oversight is lacking, if there is not constant monitoring, I think there is an incentive to cut costs and services."

"...the convictions of the two judges and their current incarceration..." Now there's a phrase seldomly heard.

We look at a major new investigation into how Youth Services International, a private prison company that runs juvenile detention centers, is rapidly expanding its services, despite a record of abuse and neglect over the past 25 years
    MY Father, when he was in his 60's, got a job at a Juvenile Detention Center. He tried to help the kids through programs where you took them fishing, camping, or spend time with them to try to help them along and get them to change their lives. My father is a good man, a mentor.
    The kids tried to kill him three times.
    After the third time, he quit.

Juvi centers are no picnic.
    A lot of these so called "kids" are really bad news.

Default Corporations Reap Billions from Mass Incarceration

Default Multiple Anal Probes, Forced Defecation For Stop Sign Violation

"A New Mexico man has filed a federal lawsuit claiming authorities subjected him to eight anal probes including enemas and a colonoscopy after a routine traffic stop.

David Eckert claims his nightmare began on Jan. 2, when he pulled out of a Deming Walmart and failed to make a complete stop at a parking lot sign. He was stopped by traffic police.

His attorney, Shannon Kennedy, said officers told him he appeared to be "clinching his buttocks" and suspected he was carrying drugs in his rectum.".* Cenk Uygur, comedian Dave Rubin [[The Rubin Report) and comedian Jimmy Dore [[TYT Comedy) break it down on The Young Turks.

Default Festival of Dangerous Ideas 2013: David Simon - Some People are More Equal than Other

Total duration 80 minutes:
    There are two Americas. In one, bankers get golden parachutes, insider traders return to society as well-paid consultants, and influence is for sale. In the other, opportunity is scarce and forgiveness scarcer, jail awaits those caught possessing recreational drugs, and cries for help are ignored. Society preaches forgiveness for the rich and retribution for the poor. Entrenched inequality and its companion, poverty, are the dark side of the American dream for a citizenry united by name, but not by rules.

Is the divide fair, the result of natural winners and losers, or is it built into the system? We know that inequality is bad for the rich as well as the poor, and that more equal countries are healthier and happier, but this knowledge won't bring change by itself. What can be done when those with the power to change the divide are those that benefit most from it? As long as the more equal won't let go, the less equal will suffer.

From his journalist days on the crime beat through to his work on shows like The Wire and Treme, David Simon has brought the divide between these two America's to life like no other. Simon looks at the oppressed, the victims of manmade disasters such as the war on drugs through to natural disaster such as Hurricane Katrina, and forces us to ask whether the fictional stories he shows us on screen are any less real than the theatre of compassion we see on the news from the very same people who have the power to treat all citizens equally but choose not to.

David Simon is a journalist, author, and television writer/producer best known as the creator and showrunner of HBO series The Wire and Treme. He spent twelve years on the crime beat for the Baltimore Sun. He also worked on the adaptations of his books Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets and The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood for NBC and HBO respectively.

Chair: Michael Williams is the director of Melbourne's The Wheeler Centre. He worked in publishing and radio broadcasting before joining The Wheeler Centre as programming director at the Centre's inception, helping nurture it into a culturally significant institution.

Where are we headed? And why are we in this handbasket?

GUSHI Guest

Well when kids are raised with no morals, no respect, no discipline, that graph is to be expected, they become adults.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Well when kids are raised with no morals, no respect, no discipline, that graph is to be expected, they become adults.
    Yes, because future adults at the state level are far less disciplined than future adults at the local level who in turn are even less disciplined than future adults at the federal level.

Are you capable of understanding how silly that reasoning appears?

Last edited by Jimaz; October-14-14 at 08:54 PM.

Jimaz that was awesome. John Oliver put it all into perspective with a boatload of humor. I shared this clip on my FB and wrote this to go along with it. Some of you know the drug war and the prison industrial complex is my soapbox, I encourage you all to share this on your FB as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pz3syET3DY "Ironically this [[John Oliver skit) is hilarious but more importantly informative. If you watch this and I see you share this with your friends I will share a memory I have of you or something I love about you. You really cannot beat Muppets talking and singing about mass incarceration. I bet your wondering what wonderful thing Im going to say about you" Thanks Jimaz, Im glad you shared that.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    ... Thanks Jimaz, Im glad you shared that.
    You're most welcome, Django.

Sometimes a situation gets so ridiculously out of control that the best corrective is to ridicule it with humor. That's what John Oliver does so well. It looks like he's not going to run out of material anytime soon. That's how screwed up this country has become.

Shine on, John Oliver!

Three videos, each under ten minutes, about successful alternatives to incarceration for mental illness, drug abuse, and homelessness: Is your city overcriminalized?

Police do not want to be our overpriced and ineffective social workers. It's not their job.

CCA is not interested in what is best for the prisoner or society. They are a corporation. There ethical interest only lies in maximizing the profits for their stockholders. I live in Nashville and I know one of their executives. Any action that reduces the profit to the investors would be unethical by capitalist standards.
    Last edited by David Haley; October-25-14 at 10:47 AM. Reason: improved

Default This is Crazy: Criminalizing Mental Health

Total duration 23 minutes:
    America is “treating” mental illness through incarceration - and the price we are paying both in dollars and human capital is enormous. This is Crazy: Criminalizing Mental Health focuses on the problems with criminalizing mental health told through first-hand accounts. SIGN THE PETITION: Mental health needs to be treated, not criminalized!

Default Immigrants for Sale • FULL DOCUMENTARY • BRAVE NEW FILMS

Total duration 33 minutes:
    The detention of migrants has become a multi-billion dollar industry in which immigrants are sold to the highest bidder and traded like mere products. The Corrections Corporation of America, The Geo Group, and the Management and Training Corporation run over 200 facilities all over the nation. These facilities offer over 150,000 bed spaces and rake in a total profit of close to five billion dollars per year. The fact that these detention centers get paid for the number of people that are in the center per night offers, therefore, no incentive to speed up the legal processes and let the detainees leave the facility.

That is why immigration reform is such a no go topic,to much profit off of it.

When it comes to child support each state represents the person receiving the child support as a client,the more clients the state has the more fed money they get.

Based on that,years ago there was a convention in Las Vegas of child support district supervisors,the topic was the signing up of illegals for collection as a client and how to give them assurance that they would not be charged with being an illegal in the process.

Common sense would be that it would be difficult if not impossible to collect from somebody that was not in the system,but that was not the goal,the goal was to sign up as many clients as possible to generate revenue from the federal government.

If a local jail hold somebody for over 8 hours they are reimbursed by the state and then the state is reimbursed by the federal gov,it kinda gives incentive to jail.

They say the ratio of those in prison or jail of African Americans to Caucasians is uneven,but if one looks at income levels is it a case of African Americans committing more crimes or is it because more are at the poverty level and cannot afford a private attorney.Public defenders are more so negotiators verses defending guilty or not.

If you cannot afford a private attorney you are already guilty and it becomes a case of how much time you will do.

I guess it boils down to everybody head has a value,and there are some who figure out how to collect that value,one way or another,even if they need to create a situation in order to do that.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state...b47-55c0-9c63-

There wasn’t much substance abuse treatment at CAAIR. It was mostly factory work for one of America’s top poultry companies. If McGahey got hurt or worked too slowly, his bosses threatened him with prison.

And he worked for free. CAAIR pocketed the pay.

“It was a slave camp,” McGahey said. “I can’t believe the court sent me there.”

Soon, it would get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state...b47-55c0-9c63-

There wasn’t much substance abuse treatment at CAAIR. It was mostly factory work for one of America’s top poultry companies. If McGahey got hurt or worked too slowly, his bosses threatened him with prison.

And he worked for free. CAAIR pocketed the pay.

“It was a slave camp,” McGahey said. “I can’t believe the court sent me there.”

Soon, it would get worse.
    Link repair:

The judge called it rehab, but it ended up being a 'slave camp' in Oklahoma.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast