Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cupid's Restaurant original location in the 1950's-1960's was on the corner of Mack and Warren Ave. My father ran the kitchen area for 20 years, and Nick Chakiris ran the front of the house. It was owned by the Masoris brothers; Cupid's closed around 1967 or 1968, and then it was eventually torn down in 1970.

Welcome to Detroityes Greek. Thank you for the detailed information!

Just want to clarify the history of Cupid's Restaurant was located at Mack and Harvard. My grandfather, Gust Constant, opened the restaurant in 1940. The Grosse Pointe news has articles stating how he stayed open after 2am on the weekends...the Park police issued him three citations. I was a toddler in the 50's and we spent many days eating there...never on Tuesday though. Cupid's was closed and the family always went to Greektown on Tuesday evenings for dinner...either Hella's or the Laikon. My grandfather sold Cupid's ~ 1975 to a Butsicaris brother. They turned Cupid's into a Big Boy then.

I can state with certainty that in May/June 1971, the restaurant on Mack at Harvard was a Big Boy. I was in the 8th grade at nearby St. Clare of Montefalco and was allowed to go to that Big Boy with some classmates to celebrate our graduation. It was big deal, so I remember it well. And somewhere still have the Big Boy hamburger wrapper with the date I wrote on it.

A Google search retrieved an eBay auction for a Cupid's Restaurant matchbook cover showing their location on E Warren at Conner.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/134527499196

That restaurant on the corner of Mack Ave. and Harvard became Harvard Grill. I used to eat in that restaurant and get carry out when go to editing studio in Detroit. Now its a some East Indian Restaurant called Noorjahan. Just opened in 2018.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3944...8192?entry=ttu
    Last edited by Danny; October-29-23 at 07:03 AM.

The oldest newspaper references I can find for Cupid's are from 1942.

Here's an article from the Free Press, March 8, 1942:

Name:  Detroit Free Press 08 Mar 1942.png
Views: 110
Size:  231.4 KB

And an ad for the Grosse Pointe location from the Detroit Evening Times, June 9, 1942:

Name:  Detroit Evening Times 09 Jun 1942.png
Views: 106
Size:  271.4 KB

The last references are the obits for the owners/cousins:

April 10, 1978

Name:  Detroit_Free_Press_Mon__Apr_10__1978_.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  157.4 KB

July 26, 1996

Name:  Detroit_Free_Press_Fri__Jul_26__1996_.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  176.1 KB

Another ad for Cupid's on Mack from January 1957:

Name:  Jan 1957.png
Views: 110
Size:  168.2 KB

From 1967 to 1969, they ran want ads for the restaurant under the name of Potpourri. Here's an ad from the Grosse Pointe News from January 1968:

Name:  Jan 1968.png
Views: 105
Size:  281.2 KB

It then changed to a Big Boy in 1970. From the Grosse Pointe News, February 1970:

Name:  Feb 1970.png
Views: 111
Size:  143.5 KB

Wow, MikeM! Excellent sleuthing!! Sounds like the date of the transition from Cupid's to Potpourri to Big Boy at the Mack/Harvard location is a bit clearer!!

You're welcome, Kathleen!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2