Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for a photo of Cupid's Restaurant on Mack Avenue

I am looking for a photograph of Cupid's Restaurant on Mack Avenue. I think it was at the corner of Harvard and Mack in Grosse Pointe Park in the early 1960s. Now I believe it is the Harvard Grill. Can anyone help me out? THANKS!

In the late 60s and early 70s, there was a Big Boy located where Harvard Grill currently is. No idea when the Big Boy opened there.

The Cupids I remember in the 60's was on Warren near Conner.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    The Cupids I remember in the 60's was on Warren near Conner.
    I think that was a Big Boy. Not sure, but think it was by city airport on Connor. I'll check with my sister. She is 8 yrs older and was totally into the cruising scene.

The current building on Harvard and Mack was built for a place called Potpourri, later a Big Boy, Harvard Coney now called Harvard Grill.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I think that was a Big Boy. Not sure, but think it was by city airport on Connor. I'll check with my sister. She is 8 yrs older and was totally into the cruising scene.

The current building on Harvard and Mack was built for a place called Potpourri, later a Big Boy, Harvard Coney now called Harvard Grill.

Cupid's was not on Conner across from the Airport. At various times across from the airport near the old De La Salle were Wood's Drive Inn, A&W, Geiger's, and Big Boy's.

I thought that Cupid's was closer to Sam's Department Store near Conner. I can remember being in a restaurant near Sam's. I'm not sure if it was Cupids. A-Z Safariland is the restaurant I remember being closer to the Airport. It's been a long time but I seem to also remember another Cupid's on Mack.

I remember Cupids at Mack and Harvard. I lived on Bishop, saw it back in the 60's

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    I remember Cupids at Mack and Harvard. I lived on Bishop, saw it back in the 60's
    So it was Cupid's and then a Big Boy. What was it between Big Boy and the Harvard Grill?

Ok did finally call my sister. Cupids was on Warren near Connor. She said kinda like where Popeyes is now. She would drag me around to the drive thrus, Big Boys was like Warren and Dickerson.sometimes cause she had to babysit me.

I saw my fair share of races in those days. Mostly Outer Drive. Title for title stuff. Like I said my sister would drag me around. She would drag race herself or be the flag keeper. She was totally fearless. She had a GTO, I think 1967, gold metal flake, no one ever beat her.

She did say to mention Cupids had the absolute best onion rings.

Google Books Snippet View lists a 1970 City Council Journal Entry as: Cupids Restaurant, Joseph R. and Ann Longo, 12230 Warren E.

Also this 1951 snippet from Michigan Manufacturer.....
    Cupid's Drive-in Restaurant, at 12230 E. Warren, Detroit, is a popular place for delicious food, quickly prepared and tastefully served. Gas-fired equipment — including 3 fryers, broiler and griddle, steam table, 2- oven range, bake oven and .......

Last edited by rooms222; July-22-13 at 08:21 PM.

Cupids was a franchise.

Have confirmed that the restaurant at Harvard and Mack was called Cupid's in the early 1960s and earlier. It is mentioned in the GP News back in the 1940s.
    Last edited by GPCharles; July-23-13 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Have confirmed that the restaurant at Harvard and Mack was called Cupid's in the early 1960s and earlier. It is mentioned in the GP News back in the 1940s.
    Interesting, we moved to Harvard near Mack in 1963 and I have zippo memory of that. I was about 9 and my family rarely ate out.

My sister did say why Big Boys closed. Corporate demanded a sun room had to be added and there was simply no room to expand.

I still miss the 24 hour Rams Horn on Mack where Staples is now. The couple that owned it were so charming and modest. That place made a mint yet they lived in an upper flat on Cadieux. They got old and family didn't want to take over. I made a special delivery [[I worked for a wholesaler in Eastern Market) to their home one time. I ended up staying for at least two hours. What amazing hosts. When I left they sent me home with a gift bag that had wine, chocolates and numerous other goodies.

For pics have you tried the Gp historical society?

For pics have you tried the Gp historical society?
    Yes, and City of GP Park.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    Cupid's was not on Conner across from the Airport. At various times across from the airport near the old De La Salle were Wood's Drive Inn, A&W, Geiger's, and Big Boy's.
    Happy Landing Restaurant was also across from the airport.
    Cupids was on Warren just east of Conner on the south side.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I still miss the 24 hour Rams Horn on Mack where Staples is now. The couple that owned it were so charming and modest. That place made a mint yet they lived in an upper flat on Cadieux. They got old and family didn't want to take over. I made a special delivery [[I worked for a wholesaler in Eastern Market) to their home one time. I ended up staying for at least two hours. What amazing hosts. When I left they sent me home with a gift bag that had wine, chocolates and numerous other goodies.

ahhh yes, ram's horn. best grilled ham and cheese after the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Happy Landing Restaurant was also across from the airport.
    Cupids was on Warren just east of Conner on the south side.
    Happy Landings was on Conner near Sanford, or as it was known in the neighborhood "Crash Landings".

Actually now I am curious. Why a pic of a defunct restaurant? Was it a family business?

At the moment I have way too much time on my hands so I have been looking into this. I really love our east area history. By accident, I came across many pictures of the Village [[GPC) in the early 60's which I gave to the historical society.

Sadly my family, maternal side, had a diner on roughly Macdougal and Jefferson. It is long gone and I know my Mom always felt bad she never took a picture before it got demolished.

Not too out of line. Wasn't Happy Landings finally owned by Sonny Elliot. I understand that he owned a plane and flew out of City Airport.

There was a Big Boy across from City Airport, I think it's a used car lot now.

I'm new to your forum so Hi Everyone. Wanted to clear up the info about Cupids Restaurant. Been good friends for many years with one of the owner's daughters. The original Cupids was at Mack and Harvard and was owned by two brothers from Chicago. This was back in the 1930s. While they continued to own the Mack Ave. property, they bought a large tract of land on Warren and Conner and opened Cupids Drive In, one of the 1st restaurants in the state to have curb service. The original property on Mack was leased to an uncle who changed the original name to The Golden Coffee Pot. When he died in the 1960s or 70s it went back to the brothers. One brother bought the other out and opened a Big Boy. It was eventually leased to the present owner. I do have some photos and will eventually post them. Bye for now.

Quote Originally Posted by nickey m View Post
    I'm new to your forum so Hi Everyone. Wanted to clear up the info about Cupids Restaurant. Been good friends for many years with one of the owner's daughters. The original Cupids was at Mack and Harvard and was owned by two brothers from Chicago. This was back in the 1930s. While they continued to own the Mack Ave. property, they bought a large tract of land on Warren and Conner and opened Cupids Drive In, one of the 1st restaurants in the state to have curb service. The original property on Mack was leased to an uncle who changed the original name to The Golden Coffee Pot. When he died in the 1960s or 70s it went back to the brothers. One brother bought the other out and opened a Big Boy. It was eventually leased to the present owner. I do have some photos and will eventually post them. Bye for now.
    That is so cool! DY really does get responses. Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Not too out of line. Wasn't Happy Landings finally owned by Sonny Elliot. I understand that he owned a plane and flew out of City Airport.

No, Sonny just had Sonny's Weather Station at City Airport. He co-owned a plane with John Butsicaris of Lindell A.C. fame.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast