Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fisher YMCA on West Grand Boulevard

Does anyone know the architect or architectural firm for the Fisher YMCA on West Grand Boulevard?

Northwestern Branch Y.M.C.A. 2501 West Grand Boulevard built in 1925 Northwset Goldberg Neighborhood Detroit, MI.

Designed by Albert Kahn.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

YMCA Western Branch 1601 Clark built in 1927 Hubbard Farms Historic District Detroit, MI.

Designed by Malcomson & Higginbotham.

Hannan Memorial YMCA 10401 East Jefferson built in 1927 Detroit. MI.

Designed by Robert O. Derrick.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-21-13 at 06:09 PM.

Northeastern YMCA 10100 Harper built in 1931 Leesville, Detroit, MI.

Designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls.
    Also includes a drawing from a 1930 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-20-13 at 11:36 PM.

Any big YWHA's around p69rrh51?

Hannah Building now a rotting hulk on East Jefferson.

Those photos clearly show some boarded-up buildings. Are any of those buildings still functioning as working YMCA premises?
    Last edited by night-timer; July-21-13 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Those photos clearly show some boarded-up buildings. Are any of those buildings still functioning as working YMCA premises?
    None of the above are functioning YMCA's.

those buildings are lovely

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Any big YWHA's around p69rrh51?

I had to look up what YWHA was.
    Aaron DeRoy Community Center 8904 Woodward built in 1939 Detroit, MI.

Designed by Charles N. Agree.
    Also known as Jewish Community Center.
    Also includes an image from a 1941 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

The Northwest Activities Center 18100 Meyers is also a former JCC. I do not have an image unfortunately. This building is unique in that it houses one of the few doubles squash courts in the metro area.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-21-13 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks p69rrh51, I figured there would be YWHA's since Detroit had a big jewish population, also the JCC one you show seems to be active. [[?)

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Thanks p69rrh51, I figured there would be YWHA's since Detroit had a big jewish population, also the JCC one you show seems to be active. [[?)
    The building is in use but is now the Considine Recreation Center. The JCC is now at 6600 W. Maple in West Bloomfield.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Departme...ineCenter.aspx

Wow p69rrh51; you just happen to have pics of Y's, too! LOL!

The Northwest YMCA on the Boulevard, in the photo above designed by Kahn, is now a Wayne County Community Mental Health center.

Funny how, in the mid-twenties, The Boulevard and Grand River was regarded as NorthWest. From the 50's on, the streets north of 6 mile were viewed as Northwest Detroit, as the population pushed northward.

Do you have photos of the Highland Park Y's? on Woodward?

Also, do you have photos of the Y that was displaced by the stadium development downtown? I believe that it was on Elizabeth st. East of Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Wow p69rrh51; you just happen to have pics of Y's, too! LOL!

The Northwest YMCA on the Boulevard, in the photo above designed by Kahn, is now a Wayne County Community Mental Health center.

Funny how, in the mid-twenties, The Boulevard and Grand River was regarded as NorthWest. From the 50's on, the streets north of 6 mile were viewed as Northwest Detroit, as the population pushed northward.

Do you have photos of the Highland Park Y's? on Woodward?

Also, do you have photos of the Y that was displaced by the stadium development downtown? I believe that it was on Elizabeth st. East of Woodward.
    From a previous thread about the stadium district. http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...rd-Field/page3

Just for you Marsha!

Young Women's Christian Association 13130 Woodward Avenue built in 1930 Highland Park, MI.

Designed by George Mason & Company.

Young Men's Christian Association 13160 Woodward Avenue built in 1930 Highland Park, MI.

Designed by Marcus R. Burrowes.

Y.M.C.A Downtown Branch 125 East Adams built in 1908 Detroit, MI. The image is from a 1908 issue of The Western Architect.

Designed by Donaldson & Meier.

Quite an group of architects for the Y's. A veritable who's-who of Detroit's best talent!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Just for you Marsha!

Young Women's Christian Association 13130 Woodward Avenue built in 1930 Highland Park, MI.

Designed by George Mason & Company.
    Thanks p69!

Those Highland Park Y's are beautiful. The YM is now a shelter/drug rehab, the YW has a cafe in the lower level called the Cornerstone Bistro. It's been there a just 2 or 3 years. I've had a nice little meal and attended a few HP events there.

I see you also posted the one on Adams, which I think is the one that I think of as on Elizabeth. It really was an important place back in the day, and so many people stayed there, as they came to Detroit.

And then there was the Albert Kahn-designed Downtown YWCA, where my mother worked for several years. It was at the corner of Witherell and Montcalm. Like the Downtown YMCA, it was torn down for the building of Comerica Park [[it stood pretty much exactly where that goofy carousel is today). The view of downtown from the big 4th floor pool was spectacular.

Here is a picture of it from Lowell's piece from several years back on the demolition for the new ballpark:

Thanks p69!

Those Highland Park Y's are beautiful. The YM is now a shelter/drug rehab, the YW has a cafe in the lower level called the Cornerstone Bistro. It's been there a just 2 or 3 years. I've had a nice little meal and attended a few HP events there.

I see you also posted the one on Adams, which I think is the one that I think of as on Elizabeth. It really was an important place back in the day, and so many people stayed there, as they came to Detroit.
    Marsha I found the address on Adams from a 1931 R. L. Polk City Directory.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Marsha I found the address on Adams from a 1931 R. L. Polk City Directory.

Thanks! I guess that's it; I always think of it as being on Elizabeth, but it must have been Adams.

Thanks! I guess that's it; I always think of it as being on Elizabeth, but it must have been Adams.
    Marsha when it comes to addresses in Detroit nothing is ever concrete.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast