Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ramblings of a DPD retiree. :)

Well, the shit has hit the fan, and there are those who wish to take away my pension and health benefits. My colleagues and I are pretty well stewing over what the future may hold, but I sat on my back porch this afternoon with my mind remembering days gone by. And damn, some of them were funny.....and refreshing to recall.

There was the time I stopped Jeanne Dishong, "Miss Fairweather" on Channel 4, for speeding. I might have warned her and wished her well, but she gave me a ration of shit, so I wrote the ticket for 60 in a 55. On the ticket, where it says "weather", we were supposed to write "NAC" for "Normal Atmospheric Conditions" if it was nice. I couldn't resist it. I wrote "Fair", for Miss Fairweather.

Saw a car pull out of Briggs Stadium in the early sixties, and make a left turn from s/on Trumbull to e/on Michigan from the right lane. Stopped it, and it was Chuck Dressen, manager of the Tigers. As I looked over his driver's license, other members of the Tigers team passed by and every one gave Chuck the horse laugh. I can just imagine how they got on his ass the next day. Naw, didn't write him. Back then the policy was not to write out-of-towners except for extreme violations, and Chuck had a CA driver's license anyway.

Got into a chase on Gratiot that ended up around Connors early in the evening. Car cracked up and the driver was going nowhere. He turned out to be Joe Don Looney, then quarterback of the Lions, and took six coppers to get him cuffed and on his way to the hoosegow for DUI. Met him later at the Lindell AC and sober, he was a perfect gentleman.

Had the honor of meeting Sir Lawrence Olivier alongside Ford Hospital during the filming of "The Betsy", an otherwise forgettable film. Ron Sexton, DPOA pres, asked him, "How do I address you? Sir Lawrence, or Your Honor?". Olivier chuckled and said, "Just call me Larry."

In later years, Jim Bannon, Exec Deputy Chief, asked me to grab a car from the MO Garage and pick up Doug Fraser, UAW president and then a DPD Commissioner, take him to the City Airport and pick up Sen. Ted Kennedy. Take them to Fraser's home and then back to the airport. Doug Fraser was one helluva down-to-earth guy, and Ted Kennedy was a delight. I spoke only when spoken to, but it was an honor. And that from a right-wing conservative......me.

Also had the pleasure of picking up and returning Hal Lindon, he of "Barney Miller" fame, and taking him to "our" 12th Precinct in Palmer Park, where he had a heck of a time with the dicks at number twelve. Some of the guys there were just like the cast in the show; especially Wojo and Fish.

I used to appear regularly in Traffic Court in front of a referee named Roman Gribbs. A straight-shooter, he always impressed me with his fairness, never suspecting he would someday be Mayor. And I worked on his campaign. Just last year, I saw him in a restaurant in Livonia with friends, but I didn't approach him to say hi as he seemed well engaged in conversation with his party. I'm still kicking myself for not doing that.

In my 29 years with the DPD, I don't think there was a day that wasn't remarkable. I loathe the '67 riot, of course, and what has since happened to the old Fort, but even if my pension and healthcare go "poof" in the night, I wouldn't do one goddam thing different.

So there.

Wow! Congratulations for your great attitude and humor.

Ray,

You met Sir Larry!!!!! Priceless!! Thanks for sharing!!!

We are all hoping for the best resolution for you and all other Detroiters who have pensions with the city.

Thanks for sharing Ray!! Hope everything turns out well.

Great stories Ray. If worse comes to worse, you could always write a book. I'd buy a copy.

Encore! I hope you have a few more stories.

Was the purpose of Hal Linden's visit related to the Barney Miller show? Was he here to get ideas?

I hope your pension is saved or at least not cut enough to hurt. It seems like it should be a crime to renege on a promise to police and fire retirees.

Can't remember the purpose of his visit, Jim. I have a vague memory that the 12th Precinct invited him and he accepted, but can't say that for sure.

And Kathleen....your remark reminded me that I had a photo of Sir Lawrence, and here it is. Me, Jim Oliver, Sir Larry, and Ron Sexton, then DPOA prexy.

thank you for sharing Ray. You are one of my favorite posters.

Remember the old Westerns, well you are one of those white hat guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    ...Kathleen....your remark reminded me that I had a photo of Sir Lawrence, and here it is. Me, Jim Oliver, Sir Larry, and Ron Sexton, then DPOA prexy.
    Way cool!!! Thank you for sharing the photo!!!

Gary took my thought exactly. You could write a book, I'm sure. Unfortunately, not all of your colleagues are as literate as you. I heard an NPR interview today with a retired lieutenant. She talked of her $ 50,000 pension and that her husband, a retired sergeant that didn't get as much. She had a real chip on her shoulder. Still -- what?... maybe $80-90,000 thousand for this couple in pension for what I presume might have been -- give or take 30 year careers -- is not all that bad, considering what others are getting by on. I'm not saying it's fair, but she didn't give a compelling argument -- just bitterness. Wish they would interview you instead!

Sheesh, dtguy, I hear of some of these pension amounts and I shake my head. Mine is about 1,900 a month and change [[plus BCBS of MI); and I'm happy as a toad with that. With the wife's SS and savings, we're ok, but it'll be tight if the pension goes away. I'll worry about that when the time comes.

The kids will be happy to know our cemetery plot and services are paid for in full. Our grave marker will have the word "Tuebor" inscribed.

Count me as another book buyer. Even your most mundane stories would fascinate me.

Sheesh, dtguy, I hear of some of these pension amounts and I shake my head. Mine is about 1,900 a month and change [[plus BCBS of MI); and I'm happy as a toad with that. With the wife's SS and savings, we're ok, but it'll be tight if the pension goes away. I'll worry about that when the time comes.

The kids will be happy to know our cemetery plot and services are paid for in full. Our grave marker will have the word "Tuebor" inscribed.
    So, the difference is because she retired a lieutenant? Is there that big a gap between the brass and the grunts? Also, she didn't sound that old, but that's just a guess on my part. Ray, you never sound like an old fart here, but because of some of your past posts [[with dates and photos), it's obvious you're older than dirt. I don't think anyone here would think your pension is excessive.

Ray...Sign me up for a copy Too...Hope things work out for you...Heard on the News from Emerg Mgr.."Things will stay the same thru the end of the year"..Always enjoy your Stories...Whaler

Ray, we've talked before but I was under a different username. We knew some mutual motorcycle cops back in the late 60's, early 70's. I was with the DFD for 30 years and retired at a Lieutenants pay. My pension is about $200 more than yours, so I don't know how the lieutenant above is getting $50,000/yr, but she must have earned it. We have BCBSM as well and pay a monthly premium for that. The City has been good to us, while working and after retirement. I can make it on what we get today, between the wifes social security and my pension. If they take away a portion of the pension and then we have to pay for healthcare insurance, it will be hard to make ends meet. All I wanted to do was to retire and be able to pay my bills, take a vacation or two once in awhile and have a savings to help with unexpected emergencies.

I have a son who is a cop in Detroit and a son in law who is a Detroit firefighter. This is affecting my entire family.

Now, they are threatening to take all that away and I am very angry. As you know, we gave up a lot when police and fire were bargaining years ago. We chose to stay with the City because it offered a secure job, a decent wage and some benefits that we could look forward to using when we got older. Unlike the private sector, the City didn't pay well, but it was a good, steady job.

I am angry that people were able to put their fingers in the cookie jar and scoop out millions and millions of dollars for their own self gain. I am angry that the administration and the mayors haven't been held accountable for their inactions to stop the corruption that has gone on for many years.

Like you, I wouldn't have done it any differently. We were there for the long haul, we ran to the danger, we did our jobs to the best of our ability. The City of Detroit never missed a check for me, and has never missed a pension check to me, so, for that, I am thankful. I wish the best for you and hope that the cuts aren't too deep for us. The stresses and anxiety I felt on the job at times are rising up again today. At 70, my chances of putting on an air tank and running into a fire are gone. What can we do now? Besides, most of the younger generation think the "older" generation are throwaways anyway. The one thing I want them to know is...in the blink of an eye, your day will be here and you'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Gary took my thought exactly. You could write a book, I'm sure. Unfortunately, not all of your colleagues are as literate as you. I heard an NPR interview today with a retired lieutenant. She talked of her $ 50,000 pension and that her husband, a retired sergeant that didn't get as much. She had a real chip on her shoulder. Still -- what?... maybe $80-90,000 thousand for this couple in pension for what I presume might have been -- give or take 30 year careers -- is not all that bad, considering what others are getting by on. I'm not saying it's fair, but she didn't give a compelling argument -- just bitterness. Wish they would interview you instead!
    I think they are referring to Kenny Peltier and his wife she retired as a commander not a lieutenant. She is still owed her sick time and comp time to the tune of $150K.

My father is a Sgt with DPD. He was looking to retire in the next 12-18 months after 39 years now he will keep working just so he knows he will get a pay check.

He is alot like you Ray I don't think my father would change a thing with the way he lived and worked we still live in Detroit in the deadliest zip code in the state 48205. To be honest I think the only thing that takes his mind off the worries of losing part of his pension is he gets to put that uniform that he has PROUDLY worn for 38 years on a little bit longer.

Ray, it seriously makes me sick to my stomach to think they'd even consider cutting the pension of someone that served their community as you and others did. I hope people realize what people that put their lives on the line for their community are due, and rise to the occasion by speaking out. Best wishes.

Well, the shit has hit the fan, and there are those who wish to take away my pension and health benefits. My colleagues and I are pretty well stewing over what the future may hold, but I sat on my back porch this afternoon with my mind remembering days gone by. And damn, some of them were funny.....and refreshing to recall.
    Ray,

Who wishes to take away your pension and health benefits?

This isn't about the desire to fuck over retirees, it's about figuring out how to deal with our inability to pay for all of these promises that were made decades ago that we can no longer afford to maintain.

Nobody is happy about this situation, least of all us remaining Detroit residents who have suffered declining services for decades as increasing numbers of residents and businesses fled the city for greener pastures that offered better services and lower taxes, which the city has been increasingly unable to provide, largely due to our unsustainable legacy costs.

Much is made of the possible threats to retiree benefits, but what about us remaining Detroiters who have sacrificed basic city services for decades so that the pensions could continue to be paid?

Many people feel that the city is looking to screw the unions, but the city isn't some kind of faceless mega-corporation owned by jet-setting billionaires who just want to screw pensioners so they can buy another Mercedes. The city is just the 700,000 of us residents who are still here, trying to pay the debts left to us by the 1.2 million of our former neighbors who have left the table and stuck us with the tab.

And before you say anything about broken promises, the sanctity of pensions, or any of that, let me say that the overwhelmingly vast majority of people in my generation [[30-somethings) and younger don't even know what pensions and retiree health care are. Out of all my family and friends under 40, I can only think of two who have a pension plan. And social security? Forget about it... That system, not unlike the Detroit pension plan, will be broke before we ever get to see a check, even though we have been paying into it our whole lives.

America is entering an era of broken promises and failing institutions. We have been borrowing from the future, just to maintain the status quo, for a long time. Our account is now overdrawn and the checks are starting to bounce. Detroit is just the first large city to go insolvent. The rest of the country is on the way, and not that far behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Ray, it seriously makes me sick to my stomach to think they'd even consider cutting the pension of someone that served their community as you and others did. I hope people realize what people that put their lives on the line for their community are due, and rise to the occasion by speaking out. Best wishes.
    Who is they? The money just isn't there to pay for it. There is no greedy evil bad guy here. It is simply a systemic issue due to the declining tax base in the city.

As far as appreciation for the guys putting their lives on the line for the community, what about the current officers and firefighters who are putting their lives on line right now, and have to deal with malfunctioning and/or shortages of equipment, no backup, and constant cuts to their pay and benefits?

Everybody likes to get outraged about the cuts to compensation and benefits, but very few are willing to pay the extra city taxes required to pay for it, and nobody supports shifting a portion of the burden to the county, region, or state.

Popcanman, I found the transcript online, and the lieutenant's name is Cynthia Falska, retired after 33 years. Reading the transcript now, I realize the chip on her shoulder that I referred to came across much stronger in the audio. She was interviewed on the NPR program, "Here and Now." Here's the link. You can either listen to the audio or read the transcript from that link.

Here's the part where she talks of her pension:

HOBSON: How much do you get a month from your pension?
    FALSKA: I get about - I don't know, I would say about $50,000 a year, gross.
    HOBSON: Fifty thousand a year, and you also, your husband is also drawing a pension, right?
    FALSKA: Right, but he gets less than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I agree with you old guy but I'm not sure who "they' are unless they are the people that take their income from the same pot.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    Who is they? The money just isn't there to pay for it. There is no greedy evil bad guy here. It is simply a systemic issue due to the declining tax base in the city.
    First and of course -- thanks for your service. I was a resident most of my life -- and I appreciate your efforts.

Like a couple of writers, I don't think anyone -- or at least very few -- wish to take anyone's pension away. But there are serious issues with how we actually pay for the pension.

And let's not forget that this pension [[and many others) appear to have not been run so well. Many city retirees in the past received lump sum payments -- because the pension funds were OVERFUNDED! Earlier retirees got some of your money.

But back to the main issue... we want our public servants to get a pension -- but we haven't addressed how to actually pay for these pensions. Until we do that, these problems are going to surface over and over.

If serious reform to pensions occurred, I would strongly support moving all pensions to be state funded. But before that can happen, we taxpayers need to be sure that the local units are acting responsibly. I don't think they are.

Nobody wants to reduce your pension. But nobody wants to accept responsibility for every pension promise made by often corrupt and irresponsible local officials.

cla1945 and all.....thanks for your comments. All digested and appreciated. As to that 50k pension, I can only figure she is under the new pension plan that was adopted in 1969. Under the previous plan, which I am under, the maximum pension benefit is 15/22 of a police officers pay. A PO would get 11/22, detectives and up a higher amount up to the max. But the 50k statement is suspect.

It will be interesting to see what comes of all this, but it will take years of court battles, injunctions, appeals, and other whatnot to enrichen the lawyers. The best thing we have in our favor just right now is the Michigan Constitution, which prohibits tampering with pensions. Frankly, my view is that it obligates the State to supplement the funding, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Yeah, I'm an old guy. I'm 77 and unfortunately in excellent shape. The city would love for me to curl up and go away, but I'm counting on another dozen years .... at least. And every day is a blessing that I shall enjoy to the fullest. Unless the Tigers don't start getting some runs, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    First and of course -- thanks for your service. I was a resident most of my life -- and I appreciate your efforts.

Like a couple of writers, I don't think anyone -- or at least very few -- wish to take anyone's pension away. But there are serious issues with how we actually pay for the pension.

And let's not forget that this pension [[and many others) appear to have not been run so well. Many city retirees in the past received lump sum payments -- because the pension funds were OVERFUNDED! Earlier retirees got some of your money.

But back to the main issue... we want our public servants to get a pension -- but we haven't addressed how to actually pay for these pensions. Until we do that, these problems are going to surface over and over.

If serious reform to pensions occurred, I would strongly support moving all pensions to be state funded. But before that can happen, we taxpayers need to be sure that the local units are acting responsibly. I don't think they are.

Nobody wants to reduce your pension. But nobody wants to accept responsibility for every pension promise made by often corrupt and irresponsible local officials.
    Wesley, when you refer to Many city retirees in the past received lump sum payments -- because the pension funds were OVERFUNDED! are you referring to the 13th check that we received at the end of the year in the past?

If so, I can tell you that the pensions were receiving a very good return on the investments that the pension boards and trustees made during that period of time. When the market crashed, those checks stopped. In my own opinion, I think the City would have been prudent to have just kept that money in the pension funds and maybe they wouldn't be in the spot they are in today.

I can't help but wonder if the pensions are $5-6 billion strong, they MUST be getting a fairly decent return, even in today's market. I'm not an analyst in this field by any means, but I know that the little bit of annunities I have are coming back to where they were before the market tanked...and so should the pension funds.

cla1945 and all.....thanks for your comments. All digested and appreciated. As to that 50k pension, I can only figure she is under the new pension plan that was adopted in 1969. Under the previous plan, which I am under, the maximum pension benefit is 15/22 of a police officers pay. A PO would get 11/22, detectives and up a higher amount up to the max. But the 50k statement is suspect.

It will be interesting to see what comes of all this, but it will take years of court battles, injunctions, appeals, and other whatnot to enrichen the lawyers. The best thing we have in our favor just right now is the Michigan Constitution, which prohibits tampering with pensions. Frankly, my view is that it obligates the State to supplement the funding, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Yeah, I'm an old guy. I'm 77 and unfortunately in excellent shape. The city would love for me to curl up and go away, but I'm counting on another dozen years .... at least. And every day is a blessing that I shall enjoy to the fullest. Unless the Tigers don't start getting some runs, that is.
    Hang in there Ray, You'll be alright. Hope everything works out for all pensioners.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast