Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Billy Reedy Dead at 72

I was casually reading nytimes.com and came across an obituary for Billy Reedy, a family friend, better known as the owner of Reedy's Bar in Corktown [[which later became The Works), and even better known as the friend of Billy Martin who, at first, claimed to be the driver in the drunk driving crash that killed Martin in 1989. A little surprised to see his obit there--NYT usually only highlights more "famous" people, though I guess it is New York-related: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/10/ny...ref=obituaries

Although I never met the man, As a kid I would look into the windows of Reedy's and wait for the day that I could buy a beer there.That never did happen, Yet when I see that old saloon, I think of Reedy and Billy and that Christmas. Funny how things get stuck in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Although I never met the man, As a kid I would look into the windows of Reedy's and wait for the day that I could buy a beer there.That never did happen, Yet when I see that old saloon, I think of Reedy and Billy and that Christmas. Funny how things get stuck in your mind.

It's too bad you never met him. He was one in a million. RIP Bill, you will be truly missed.

It's too bad what happened to Reedy's Saloon. It was a great lunch place and pub, it had real atmosphere.

I heard Redy sold it to a family member that turned it into a crap after-hours place. I stopped in there several years ago during the St. Patrick's Day parade and it was an awful place. Too bad the owner had to pick a nice Irish pub to turn into a dance club. They had trashed the interior.

I just found out at a Duly's breakfast with my favorite father that Mr. Reedy used to drive his father over to visit my grandfather, they went to school in Ireland together as kids! Curiously small world, I never knew I had a tie with this enigmatic fellow.

Good place to drink after a midnight shift. I remember you couldn't look anywhere without seeing a Billy Martin picture!

Hard to imagine The Works as a pub or saloon. Now I'm curious how it looked before it became a club.

SaintMe, Reedy's was a classic saloon/pub type of Irish bar. It had a large old wooden bar w/stools, wooden floors if I remember correctly, brass rails, quite a few wooden tables with chairs as they served great lunches for downtown workers. It had a few windows as well which a lot of old pubs in Detroit do not have. It was roomy plus there was an overflow dining area in the back for busy lunch hours. And like Unclefrank said, there were Billy Martin photos all over the place. I sure miss the place. Back in the early 2000's Reedy sold two or three bars that he owned, one in Redford, the Mich. Ave Reedy's and it seems like a Farmington place as well. At least that's what I heard. I heard a family member bought Reedy's and turned it into the crap after-hours place that I guess is still operating. I have no gripes about that but they trashed a wonderful old Irish pub. Sad.

Default Hey

My name is Billy Reedy, I'm Bill's son. I googled his name a couple of days after his funeral and this thread popped up. I just need to clear a couple of things up.
    Reedy's Saloon was not sold to a family member. A family bought it and lost it to the family member that's name was on the license. They turned it into the works.

My Dad owned 2 bars in his life, The Hummer [[1980-1983) and Reedy's Saloon [[1985-1999)
    I helped him run Reedy's from '95-'99. He never had any other bars in the Metro Detroit area.

I thank you for all the kind comments on this page. He truly was one of a kind, and will be missed.

Thank You,

Billy
    Last edited by breedy1970; July-16-09 at 08:31 PM.

Hey Billy..Very sorry for your Loss..I was at the saloon quite a few time befor games...Billy Martin was my Dad's Neighbor in Bloomfield Hills..They like to play gin and your Dad was arround as well[[ Kingsley Inn)..what great memories of Michigan Ave..Peace

My uncle was good friends with Billy and helped him out a lot after the accident. Billy never paid back the large amount of money my uncle gave him, but whatever. Life happens.