Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default University of Michigan Construction Redux

I made a thread like this awhile ago, but it got lost with the forum upgrades. Took a few pictures of recently completed buildings on campus today. During my 6 years at U of M, the campus has changed quite a bit. I do have a few "befores" that I might post later. I'll post additional photos as I take them.

Ross School of Business

Looking toward campus
    My landlord forgot to lock the roof so I got this shot a few months ago. The house in the foreground burned, but has since been repaired/restored.

ccbatson Guest

Take a long look as we will not be seeing growth like this for a while....unless, as it may be likely, Obama stimulates it funded by taxpayers at gunpoint.

OMG, it's CcBats again. [[S)he - it's, everywhere, [[s)he it's, everywhere.

Wolverine, thanks for the photos. I've taken many photos of the new 'B' School, as I like to call it, since it's completion. I didn't care for it as it was being built, but it's growing on me. I think mostly the color was irritating. It's LEEDS certified. Did you check out the pictures of the construction and workers on the walls in the main floor courtyard? Also, go to the 6th floor to check the view. You can't take decent photos from the sixth because of solar shades in the windows. It's one of the nicest views on campus. It looks right at the Law Quad and one of my favorite buildings - the underground Law Library. You can also see the Detroit Observatory dome. Thanks again. I appreciate any pictures you post. They're much better than mine.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; July-24-09 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks 1Kielson! I'll definitely have to check out that vantage point!

Ah, ignore bats. This same dispute came up in the last thread. Though he might be correct that construction will slow. Since all building projects are the result of private funding and endowments for maintenance, the recession will certainly impact the inflow of private support for future new construction. For example, the TCAUP expansion has been put on hold for now. Hey I'd be happy if Obama were willing to toss a few dollars towards us to make campus improvements, but I think that money could be used elsewhere within the University.

I think it's a great accomplishment that the University can build these new facilities without public funding, and maintenance and operational costs have actually plateaued for the past few years despite adding millions of additional square footage. This has been the result of sustainable construction and measures to reduce energy consumption campus-wide.

Today, the weather wasn't all that great. I'll try and get some North Quad photos uploaded tomorrow.

All the students in my 1954 Mackenzie HS graduating class who were stuck up snobs went to Michigan. All the good guys [[and me) went to Wayne State.

I still feel that way.

Michigan Stadium

Zaragon Place
    This is actually a private student housing development a block from campus.

ccbatson Guest

Actually, there is a distinct possibility that it will accelerate as the liberal Public University is likely to be complicit with the Obama plan to steal taxpayer dollars to fund pet projects and buy votes.

Thanks Wolverine. I walked by Zaragon and the Stadium for my nightly walk last night. Was A2 buzzing, or what???? Streets closed, classic cars and trucks, a pick up truck firing up a jet engine in its bed, customized Big Rigs from the 60's [[one, at Liberty and Fourth, had a railroad engine horn blowing), supercharged hot rods firing up, gallery openings, motor scooters, jamming on the Diag, people walking and dining everywhere and perfect weather. What a great night in Ann Arbor. I'm going to Guy's tonight to see R.J.Spangler's band with Paul Carey and Alberta Adams. It'll be groovin' good.

sorry late in looking ...awesome photos Wolverine [[ there are many great photographers on this forum..and my jealousy is showing)..u do the great maze and blue proud..even though I never attended [[went to SEC and other schools..) still consider myself a Michigannnn fan...my sparty sister and uncle forgive me...my wayne state dad and mom too...

ccbatson Guest

Al Gore must be beside himself for one of his beloved liberal enclaves to be spewing so much frivolous CO2 in Ann Arbor this weekend.

Bats, that's one whole sentence. Try making it two whole sentences, then three or four and maybe even a whole paragraph. Maybe you'll get a real, coherent thought across to DY'ers without straining yourself. Nope. Not likely.

It was pretty busy out. Went to the Oldtown Tavern tonight and there was lots of music playing nearby. It should really get busy soon since they've started setting up for the art fair.

Not worried about the CO2 though. We got all the trees here to take care of that. I suppose A2 can splurge once and awhile. After all, the city's energy bill was way down from DTE with the new energy saving streetlights.

Here's a shot from a couple weeks ago at Top of the Park. North Quad is seen under construction in the background

Wolverine, I'm already unimpressed with the North Quad. My girl and I went over to catch Bugs Beddow's show. We were hanging on Washington at Rackham, talking with friends - all A2'ers. To a person, they were not liking the looks of the building. It may have to creep up on me like the 'B' School did, finally settling in. For now though, the crown is looking mighty hokey.

Thanks for the photographs. Can't argue with infrastructure improvements. What is being done about parking for Saturday games at the Big House? Still parking on Pioneer grass?

Kicking people out of the golf course for having too many attendees at their tailgates. That was in the A2 Snooze today. The last, or next to last, Sunday edition ever. Don't think I'll miss it. College football and basketball, which were such fun to watch and attend at one time, have now become huge and prohibitively expensive events. I gave up my season tickets in the early 90's because they were kicking us out of our parking/tailgate areas, almost annually. For many years we were at what are now the soccer fields [[soon to be moved south, down State Street). Then we were pushed to the wedge of land between the RR tracks and State Street,. You know, where they dump all the plowed snow. Then we were moved to the golf course. Every move was made pre-emptively, without warning and accompanied by a fee increase. Heck, in those days I had so many alternative things to do on saturday afternoons and evenings, I got rid of my tickets. Haven't missed them much either. I can still attend most anytime if I choose, which I seldom do. Hockey went the same path. You can't argue with success, but some college sports have gone overboard. Things don't ever stay the same - I don't expect they will, but loyalty is seldom rewarded. They want you're money and loyalty but treat you poorly in return. It's all in the name of - 'business'.

Yes, still parking at Pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Take a long look as we will not be seeing growth like this for a while....unless, as it may be likely, Obama stimulates it funded by taxpayers at gunpoint.
    A completely non-political thread and that's how you contribute?

ODS - Obama Derangement Syndrome. Seek help.

ccbatson Guest

Closed minded if you think that stolen/stimulus money isn't going to find its' way over to Ann Arbor/UofM

Closed minded if you think that stolen/stimulus money isn't going to find its' way over to Ann Arbor/UofM
    You prefer the way your hero Bush handed over those gifts to the banks and corrupt companies like AIG?

ccbatson Guest

Handed over? Bush? How so? By not taxing them? Not robbing someone is not the same as giving them money [[their own).

Handed over? Bush? How so? By not taxing them? Not robbing someone is not the same as giving them money [[their own).
    TARP was paid for in full, by tax payers. Under your logic, taxes are robbing the masses, and as such, is stealing.

Do you keep a tape of radical right wing talking points to use as references, or do you just memorize them?

ccbatson Guest

My mistake...I agree that second handers, like AIG, begging for and receiving stolen money from Bush is a bad thing.

Well then, we aren't that far apart on this measure.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast