Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Janice Winfrey's gotta go.

She has two pretty massive fuckups just this summer, and it[s looking like she's playing dirty on top of it.

The list of candidates for all positions is missing.

I know it was there because I linked it before.

I wasn't really paying attention to city clerk but it's looking like a need. I might write in Barrow for the position when I put Duggan for mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    She has two pretty massive fuckups just this summer, and it[s looking like she's playing dirty on top of it.

The list of candidates for all positions is missing.

I know it was there because I linked it before.

I wasn't really paying attention to city clerk but it's looking like a need. I might write in Barrow for the position when I put Duggan for mayor.
    Sorry for being off-topic, but how do you do that??? Write a line of text that is different from the actual link?

I think it's okay that she took down the unofficial list, since she [[or whoever does the website) put up an official list.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...tes%20List.pdf

marsha, select some text and click the icon of an earth with a link of chain on it, paste the URL and hit okay.

edited to add -- this list is even better, has phone numbers and email addresses.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...act%20info.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    I think it's okay that she took down the unofficial list, since she [[or whoever does the website) put up an official list.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...tes%20List.pdf

marsha, select some text and click the icon of an earth with a link of chain on it, paste the URL and hit okay.

edited to add -- this list is even better, has phone numbers and email addresses.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...act%20info.pdf
    That's not an official list. It is dated May 31, includes Duggan and omits Wilcoxon for Clerk.

follow the money

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    gvidas, thanks - but where is this icon of an earth?

I'm perfectly willing to vote against her if anyone can make a convincing argument for who would be better and why. I'm having a lot of trouble finding info on the candidates, and what I have found is not very encouraging. Winfrey's fuckups of late are concerning, but she does seem to do a basically competent job of administering elections, and I don't want to replace her with an unqualified unknown who might be even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I'm perfectly willing to vote against her if anyone can make a convincing argument for who would be better and why. I'm having a lot of trouble finding info on the candidates, and what I have found is not very encouraging. Winfrey's fuckups of late are concerning, but she does seem to do a basically competent job of administering elections, and I don't want to replace her with an unqualified unknown who might be even worse.
    My sentiments as well Antongast. When I e-mailed an candidate who is backed by none other than Tom "fifth time for mayor" Barrow about what her ideas were she basically wanted to exploit Detroit children by having them going door to door to "educate" Detroit voters. I basically told her "you know that ain't going to fly with Detroit parents, right?" She kept writing on about how she can persuade Detroit parents to send their kids out into neighborhoods to do a Clerk's job of educatuing John and Jane Q Public on the election law. Talking about a dorky idiot!

I'm no Janice Winfrey fan either but what we have now is better than what's being touted as far as candidates are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by nativegirl View Post
    My sentiments as well Antongast. When I e-mailed an candidate who is backed by none other than Tom "fifth time for mayor" Barrow about what her ideas were she basically wanted to exploit Detroit children by having them going door to door to "educate" Detroit voters. I basically told her "you know that ain't going to fly with Detroit parents, right?" She kept writing on about how she can persuade Detroit parents to send their kids out into neighborhoods to do a Clerk's job of educatuing John and Jane Q Public on the election law. Talking about a dorky idiot!

I'm no Janice Winfrey fan either but what we have now is better than what's being touted as far as candidates are concerned.
    Normally, I respect a stupid person's right to remain private. But inasmuch as this person is running for public office, would you mind sharing the candidate's name?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Normally, I respect a stupid person's right to remain private. But inasmuch as this person is running for public office, would you mind sharing the candidate's name?
    DG...the dorky doofus would be good ole D. Etta Wilcoxon. Some of you may remember her as a candidate in the 2009 City Council election and in 2011 or 2010 as a State Representative candidate. I see she's a career candidate like her good friend Barrow. And in a funny twist of things, she was in with Barrow in the 2009 recount; asking the City Clerk to recount ALL of those 500 votes that came in for her in the City Primary. I researched this nut real good.

Thanks, nativegirl. Sounds like one to avoid.

As we approach an election, I often reflect on how lucky we were to preserve two strong, independent newspapers in this town. Why should we care about what individual candidates stand for when both papers fall all over themselves to cover the race, and not the issues or any voices from candidates aside from their hand-picked favorites. Yet, almost daily there's a poster here that loves to place blame on lazy Detroit voters for electing a bunch of feckless leaders.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/23...etta-wilcoxson

Winfrey's assistant said her boss would not go on camera. So we gave her a few days to think about it before saying hello in person.
    We wanted the clerk to explain why her staff refused to give her would-be challenger a fair shake.

ELRICK: The Court of Appeals said that your office failed to do its duty.

WINFREY: I haven't seen anything from the Court of Appeals.

Really? The clerk's staff fought for weeks to keep Wilcoxson off the ballot, and then Winfrey does not read the court's order, the one that shut the clerk down and slapped her around?

Check out this language. The judges said Winfrey's staff "failed to comply with their statutory duties."

ELRICK: But it was your staff who invalidated her signatures, many of which were found to be okay, and it was your staff that tried to keep her off the ballot. Don't you run that office?

WINFREY: I do run that office. It was not my staff who tried to keep her off the ballot. We don't do that.

That's not right. Winfrey and her staff not only knocked Wilcoxson off the ballot, they refused to review their decision. It is all written in black and white.

ELRICK: "The Department of Elections either failed to respond or responded by stating it was unable to comply with a request." In other words, your department failed to give her the review that she was entitled to. This is the Court of Appeals ruling.

WINFREY: Certainly she got the review that she was entitled to. Absolutely.

In fact, the judges said they found it "particularly disturbing" that Winfrey's staff refused to give Wilcoxson a "full and fair review."

So Wilcoxson had to fight for her political life. The ballots went out way late. Voters and candidates throughout the city were inconvenienced, and here is the kicker. The Court of Appeals ruled that if Winfrey's staff had just done its job in the first place, this whole mess "may have been avoided."

"Certainly it slows up the process, but people have a right to appeal. They have a right to challenge. That's our law. That's the democratic process," Winfrey said.

The clerk said she was not involved in the decision to toss her opponent off the ballot or to keep fighting in the courts.

In any case, Wilcoxson is back on the ballot, and voters will get to have their say on Tuesday.

In a bizarre twist of fate, I will be voting for Scotty Boman tomorrow. Not the former Red Wings coach, but the Libertarian candidate for Clerk.

Darrah and Cole seem to be completely insane and not legitimate candidates. Wilcoxon seems to be a notorious Barrow buddy. Boman is bizarre but I believe is sincere and ethical.

I said this about the at-large council selections and now about clerk: this field is dismal and I'm about ready to throw my hat in next time if we're going to get losers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    follow the money
    Exactly - follow the dough.

who were the top two finishers in the clerk race?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    No one knows. Janice Winfrey disqualified all the ballots.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    In a bizarre twist of fate, I will be voting for Scotty Boman tomorrow. Not the former Red Wings coach, but the Libertarian candidate for Clerk.

Darrah and Cole seem to be completely insane and not legitimate candidates. Wilcoxon seems to be a notorious Barrow buddy. Boman is bizarre but I believe is sincere and ethical.

I said this about the at-large council selections and now about clerk: this field is dismal and I'm about ready to throw my hat in next time if we're going to get losers like this.
    This. I voted for Boman, too.

Winfrey is ... Winfrey, and Wilcoxen is with the Barrow/Robert Davis crew. Not really much to recommend either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

Winfrey - last count 66%
    Wilcoxon - last count 17%

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...g_election_day

Whoever is at fault, there's another screwup with the clerk's office. The wrong dates for the general election is being advertised.

I'll say it again it's too bad Tom Barrow didn't try for this position.

Brizee,
    Appears to be an issue with the contractor who put up the billboard:
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/23...o-be-corrected

I know Winfrey ain't the greatest but it seems to be other things that are working against her this election cycle. As far as voting Tom Barrow for City Clerk, I would not vote for Barrow if he was running for the "Head Poop Scooper" of the Detroit Zoo. Zero respect and zero tolerance for his behavior as of late.

^^^ Yeah but I've worked in advertising. The client always has to 'sign off' on a final proof be it a billboard, sell sheet or wedding invitation. Dating is most crucial in proofing something going to press, web upload, or fabrication as is the case in billboard and outdoor large format work.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...g_election_day

Whoever is at fault, there's another screwup with the clerk's office. The wrong dates for the general election is being advertised.

I'll say it again it's too bad Tom Barrow didn't try for this position.
    Barrow????? When it comes to wrong dates, Duggan's a natural!

I noticed some of the billboards now have the correct addressed pasted over the wrong one... Anyone else notice this?

Duggan just lost half of his votes.

It's not funny anymore.

Someone needs to be looking at prison time behind this.

WTF?? That's not a small margin of error. Holy Jesus. I thought it was bad when Winfrey screwed up the Duggan situation at the point of application. This is totally out of control.

Tom Barrow, one thing you and I agree on is that I want the Feds coming in and supervising this election.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast