Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who killed Detroit?

Racial division, suburban exodus and a barren tax base have left one solution: Make the suburbs merge with the city

By Edward McClelland

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/12/whit...illed_detroit/

[[FWIW, I don't think the URL Salon.com created captures the author's point of view.)

Dead on arrival, despite being a solution that's too much like right.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Racial division, suburban exodus and a barren tax base have left one solution: Make the suburbs merge with the city

By Edward McClelland

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/12/whit...illed_detroit/

[[FWIW, I don't think the URL Salon.com created captures the author's point of view.)
    Detroit's situation is more like"Murder on the Orient Express"; there isn't one "who".

And if we lived in a world where it was feasible to merge the suburbs and the city, it wouldn't be necessary.

Who killed Detroit you ask. Detroit died by it's own hand=Suicide.

No honesty, no integrity, no self-control, no morals, no compassion for your fellow citizens; and a line my pocket with easy money mentality.

The so-called politicians and leaders of Detroit murdered it.

Combining with the suburbs is a non-starter because the Detroit pols would be marginalized and relegated to the back benches of the expanded commission/council by all of the suburban votes. The Detroit pols don't want the suburban voters, they just want their money. If the state legislature proposed a tri-county consolidation,m the Detroit pols would beat a path to the fed DOJ on how their voting power was being marginalized and diluted in a big city where they only had 16-18% of the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Combining with the suburbs is a non-starter because the Detroit pols would be marginalized and relegated to the back benches of the expanded commission/council by all of the suburban votes. The Detroit pols don't want the suburban voters, they just want their money. If the state legislature proposed a tri-county consolidation,m the Detroit pols would beat a path to the fed DOJ on how their voting power was being marginalized and diluted in a big city where they only had 16-18% of the vote.

Not ifit's done in a clever way. You know the real problem is that there never seems to be a "possible" outcome for Detroit in a lot of people's minds.

I bet you a lot of Detroiters would gladly take a wider regional representation. I dont think Detroiters are screaming to keep the status quo.

I understand why they did it, but the major corporations killed Detroit when they moved out.

Name some that "moved out;" name some other than Hudson's. Most of the corporateentities that aren't here at all anymore were sold or folded in to another corporation.
    Comerica headquarters left Detroit, but still employees many here. American Motors died. Kmart built a headquarters outside Detroit but was to become a mere shadow. Ford was always in Dearborn. GM is still here.
    A lot of the advertising agencies and stock brokers that were downtown did decamp for the suburbs. Do you mean those ten or 15 entities?
    Ask why nobody moved into the empty places that occurred in the natural cycle of business moves that most cities would experience. Whose fault would that be?
    I think possibly the city fathers' and the reputation for crime that was pretty deserved.

Last I checked, Detroit is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Last I checked, Detroit is still alive.
    Yep Detroit still lives but cheap gas and freeway expansion changed the dynamic of where folk lived.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Name some that "moved out;" name some other than Hudson's. Most of the corporateentities that aren't here at all anymore were sold or folded in to another corporation.
    Comerica headquarters left Detroit, but still employees many here. American Motors died. Kmart built a headquarters outside Detroit but was to become a mere shadow. Ford was always in Dearborn. GM is still here.
    A lot of the advertising agencies and stock brokers that were downtown did decamp for the suburbs. Do you mean those ten or 15 entities?
    Ask why nobody moved into the empty places that occurred in the natural cycle of business moves that most cities would experience. Whose fault would that be?
    I think possibly the city fathers' and the reputation for crime that was pretty deserved.
    You can spin it anyway you want. When Chrysler left HP, that started it's decline. When all the major supermarkets [[some who aren't around anymore like Farmer Jack's) or Kroger's left the city as well as other companies that may or may not be around moved to the burbs, whether it was due to crime or not, they started Detroit on it's decline along with other variables.

Regionalization is the only solution. State control is really regionalization under another name, isn't it?

It is a political non-starter -- yes. We are very addicted to giving disproportionate power to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You can spin it anyway you want. When Chrysler left HP, that started it's decline. When all the major supermarkets [[some who aren't around anymore like Farmer Jack's) or Kroger's left the city as well as other companies that may or may not be around moved to the burbs, whether it was due to crime or not, they started Detroit on it's decline along with other variables.
    Detroit's unique, world-class decline started long before Chrysler decamped. I've never accepted the logic that retail left because the white owners couldn't stand to be in black neighborhoods -- starting the decline. If that were so, why were so many merchants along 12th Street pre-riot white? I can't see corporate American making a conscious decision to leave neighborhoods because of race. But maybe its true. I do recall the CAY explicitly raised race in his development policies. There were hard, racial quotas for much construction in the city if there was any city money [[Executive Order 22 -- 50% resident, 25% black, 5% female). Perhaps operating in Detroit just became too burdensome.

Read Detroit, an American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff. The story is far more complicated than anyone wants to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Read Detroit, an American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff. The story is far more complicated than anyone wants to admit.
    Of course it's complicated. Thanks for the heads up on the read. I want to read The Black Count then will scout this out. Thanks

48009 Guest

...and encouraged by such race-baiting politicians as Detroit Mayors Coleman Young and Kwame Kilpatrick, and Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson.
    Brooks is comparable to Kwame and Coleman? Um, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Regionalization is the only solution. State control is really regionalization under another name, isn't it?

It is a political non-starter -- yes. We are very addicted to giving disproportionate power to some.
    Detroit has been run by 10 people for how many years now? How did that work out?

Obviously, we all know the story. Redlining, freeway expansion, racial tensions, taxes, blah blah blah... There's a national story on it every day.
    I think very seriously that there just haven't been enough people in this region genuinely interested in urban living to sustain its vitality; point blank. Complete ignorance.
    I can't imagine driving for 3 hours in traffic both ways for a baseball game so my children dont have to see poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYCR View Post
    Obviously, we all know the story. Redlining, freeway expansion, racial tensions, taxes, blah blah blah... There's a national story on it every day.
    I think very seriously that there just haven't been enough people in this region genuinely interested in urban living to sustain its vitality; point blank. Complete ignorance.
    I can't imagine driving for 3 hours in traffic both ways for a baseball game so my children dont have to see poor people.
    What's funny about it is all I hear people rave about throughout Michigan is how great Chicago is. It's like they don't realize Detroit offered the exact same experience Chicago had before the city was allowed to rot.

I remember hearing a Detroit Mayor Young telling the people he was the boss now, if they didn't like it, get the other side of 8 mile. When they did, he imposed a tax on the ones remaining. Detroit killed Detroit and has done it's best to hamper any revival. As one who went to Chicago for urban fun during those Mayor Young years, I was welcome everyplace I went there, but not in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    What's funny about it is all I hear people rave about throughout Michigan is how great Chicago is. It's like they don't realize Detroit offered the exact same experience Chicago had before the city was allowed to rot.

Most ironic part about that is, it was those same people and their parents who decided to leave Detroit beginning in the 40's becasue henry Ford Told them So and some realator sold them on the suburbs. then the next wave left because they didnt want to put int he effort or were so afraid of living next door to a black person.

All the while they let watched the jobs go over sees infrastructure crumble and became jaded and cynical.

You want to see the city fixed in a quick fashion. 100k move here in the next 5 years. it will be fixed lickity split

you cant have a city with complete poverty [[not poor but poverty) there is a difference. they dont have enough money to support business or start business, they probably dont have the education to work and they likely arent engaged in politics. so politicians can steal and lie and cheat.

So take away the jobs and the tax base use racism and tax incentives to drive the exodus and you get the fall of the empire

And those who stayed who tried were beat into submission by those who stayed and didnt care or couldnt care. This city is a world wind of shit.

I am depressed now thinking about it all....such a complex problem, my above answer doesnt even scratch the surface

Quote Originally Posted by qsabe View Post
    I remember hearing a Detroit Mayor Young telling the people he was the boss now, if they didn't like it, get the other side of 8 mile. When they did, he imposed a tax on the ones remaining. Detroit killed Detroit and has done it's best to hamper any revival. As one who went to Chicago for urban fun during those Mayor Young years, I was welcome everyplace I went there, but not in Detroit.
    This is the prevailing suburban mythology. It's funny how folks go on believing this and never investigating it. Myths survive because they are soothing, help us see the world as we'd rather see it.

Young told criminals to hit Eight Mile. The phrase "hit Eight Mile" doesn't mean "go to the suburbs" -- it means "hit the bricks" or "get out of here."

The city income tax was passed with the support of Mayor Jerome Cavanagh, not big, bad, black Coleman Young.

But, whatever, go on believing the myths if that works for you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    This is the prevailing suburban mythology. It's funny how folks go on believing this and never investigating it. Myths survive because they are soothing, help us see the world as we'd rather see it.

Young told criminals to hit Eight Mile. The phrase "hit Eight Mile" doesn't mean "go to the suburbs" -- it means "hit the bricks" or "get out of here."

The city income tax was passed with the support of Mayor Jerome Cavanagh, not big, bad, black Coleman Young.

But, whatever, go on believing the myths if that works for you ...
    To add to what D'nerd said, Chicago has a 10% sales tax on all goods purchased within the city limits. Yet, businesses didn't up and leave Chicago.

Let's be blunt here. Systematically, the people of Illinois valued the importance of a strong, healthy, vibrant Chicago. Systematically, the people of Michigan did not value the importance of a strong, healthy, vibrant Detroit. For example, it is like pulling teeth when trying to get someone from Michigan to tell you where they're from in the state, as the people in Michigan make it a task to not associate themselves with a place in Michigan people outside the state recognize [[Detroit). As a result, now the chickens have come home to roost for the people of Michigan as they have nothing to stop their young, educated children from leaving for Chicago and their state's largest city they have systematically ignored is headed into bankruptcy court.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast