Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: The Goat Yard

Default The Goat Yard

The Goat Yard is one of those legendary off-beat Detroit places that are truly one of a kinds. The place was a merry prankster pirate cove that the colorful pirate captain Steve Hume had managed to get and hold lease to.

Piles of beached never-to-sail-again boats surrounded the hulk of a burned-out brick factory with a canal of slips across from Seven Sisters power plant [and from where I shot its implosion]. Lining the canal were a variety boats ranging from serious racers' sleek sail boats to aging, listing fat wooden-hull motor yachts in some form of perpetual restoration that never ended.

Adjacent to the factory a charming seedy club house was the center of continual joy and laughter. What a great place and this video captures its joy and warmth perfectly.

Great story.

Ahhh.... the Goat Yard. Good times. Thanks for posting.

AWESOME story! Cool place too. I used to take drives out to the boat launch there and would always see that place.

Lowell sorry to be a killjoy but I posted the video last fall when a friend of mine who produced the video finished the project.
    On the other hand the gentleman with the beard at the beginning is Peter Fortune. Peter's residences in the city over time are quite interesting. Here is the list. Unfortunately the site will not let me place them in order.

1)8100-8120 Saint Paul built in 1912 West Village Historic District Detroit, MI. Deigned by Alvin Harley.
    2)4)338 Notre Dame built in 1949 City of Grosse Pointe, MI. Deigned by W. Hawkins Ferry.
    3)Lafayette Park built in 1956 Mies van der Rohe Residential Historic District Detroit, MI.
    4)The Palms Apartment Building 1001 East Jefferson built in 1903 East Jefferson Avenue Residential Historic District Detroit, MI. Designed by Albert Kahn.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-14-13 at 02:27 AM.

I had no idea the Nemo had such a great story.

Miss him... and the Christmas parties on the tug

Where does Jerome's painting hang?

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Lowell sorry to be a killjoy but I posted the video last fall when a friend of mine who produced the video finished the project.
    Indeed you did. I missed it but it is worth repeating again. Strange Detroit: A Short Film On Nemo At The "Goat Yard"