Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Chief James Craig Pledges to Re-Open 24-Hour Precincts

I like this guy already.

Detroit police chief pledges to end 'virtual precincts,' reopen 24-hour stations

http://www.freep.com/comments/articl...nd-James-Craig

One more step in the right direction for a safe and viable City of Detroit.

He must be planning on paying for that with the magic money Orr is going to make materialize.

The bad news is 911 could go out again at any time!

I like this. Why on earth did a position like this exist anyway? It makes you wonder how many other "jobs" like this sworn officers are doing.

■ Sworn officers who are not in the field will be redeployed to boost actual policing resources as soon as feasible. Craig noted that a full-duty officer in the chief’s office had been assigned to keep vehicles cleaned and gassed up. Starting Monday, that officer will be reassigned. “Sworn full-duty officers should be in the field,” he said.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I like this. Why on earth did a position like this exist anyway? It makes you wonder how many other "jobs" like this sworn officers are doing.

■ Sworn officers who are not in the field will be redeployed to boost actual policing resources as soon as feasible. Craig noted that a full-duty officer in the chief’s office had been assigned to keep vehicles cleaned and gassed up. Starting Monday, that officer will be reassigned. “Sworn full-duty officers should be in the field,” he said.
    Well, my buddy in the DPD says there are good reasons why those guys are on desk duty. Wait till we get a taste of their "field work."

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Well, my buddy in the DPD says there are good reasons why those guys are on desk duty. Wait till we get a taste of their "field work."
    Once the union rules for DPD are thrown out the window, maybe these guys will be removed and replaced by competent officers. One can hope, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    He must be planning on paying for that with the magic money Orr is going to make.
    What I really like about his pledge is that, in his own way, he's also chastising the outright idiocy of the Bing administration [[which BTW Bing has strangely been MIA since Orr arrived despite still receiving a paycheck).

Even if he can't make good on his pledge, at least we know where he stands regarding the issue and that he will try everything within his power to correct things
    Last edited by 313WX; July-12-13 at 05:14 PM.

i'll clean cop cars and gas em up if they give me a full pension.
    damn that sounds like a cushy job.

The real test of Kevyn Orr will be how much improves city services or if he pays attention to them at all. I'm seeing fast and strong positioning on the crime end and Craig appears to be a great choice, which is wonderful. Let's now see the action behind it.

Lots of cops get hurt on duty, during chases; they throw out their backs dealing with arrestees, they get shot, they get hepatitus sometimes from being spit on or cut or getting bled on.
    Most cops on light duty are there temporarily while they recover. Others will never get back to street duty level but they can still work. What's the thought about them? Throw them out?

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Once the union rules for DPD are thrown out the window, maybe these guys will be removed and replaced by competent officers. One can hope, anyway.
    I don't think he meant incompetent. I inferred that these people had been out on the street so long they developed some emotional problems and were dangerous out there -- to themselves and others. You know, like PTSD?

The statement you make above shows why unions exist in the first place. What, somebody worked a tough job until their mind is fried and their reward is getting dumped like dead wood? OK ...

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Lots of cops get hurt on duty, during chases; they throw out their backs dealing with arrestees, they get shot, they get hepatitus sometimes from being spit on or cut or getting bled on.
    Most cops on light duty are there temporarily while they recover. Others will never get back to street duty level but they can still work. What's the thought about them? Throw them out?
    I really wonder just how many officers have contracted hepatitis from being spit or bled on by a prisoner, I'll bet not too many. Sounds kind of fanciful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I really wonder just how many officers have contracted hepatitis from being spit or bled on by a prisoner, I'll bet not too many. Sounds kind of fanciful to me.
    If you don't think it's a serious risk, then you don't know what police and other first responders have to deal with on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    What I really like about his pledge is that, in his own way, he's also chastising the outright idiocy of the Bing administration [[which BTW Bing has strangely been MIA since Orr arrived despite still receiving a paycheck).
    I wouldn't be all that respectful of the Bing administration either. Craig was by-passed for Godbee in 2010 and he was going to do it again before Orr stepped in and said no. Bing might as well stay home it is obvious that Orr doesn't respect his management skills. The job that Orr gave to Brown, Bing should have been doing
    Last edited by firstandten; July-12-13 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I don't think he meant incompetent. I inferred that these people had been out on the street so long they developed some emotional problems and were dangerous out there -- to themselves and others. You know, like PTSD?

The statement you make above shows why unions exist in the first place. What, somebody worked a tough job until their mind is fried and their reward is getting dumped like dead wood? OK ...
    In no way do I think these guys should just be left by the wayside. I'm an absolute zealot about our piss-poor understanding of mental illness by the mainstream in this country. And I believe that 100 years ago when we look back, we'll find that many of the societal ills in the bottom levels of socio-economic status have high correlations with un-treated or under-treated mental illnesses, personality disorders, PTSD, etc.

Now as far as the DPD, I think it would be more cost-effective to have police who are mentally/emotionally suffering covered by disability insurance benefits with PTSD coverage. Yes, this would add costs to the health coverage. But those costs would be outweighed by no longer having to pay full-time police wages to $12/hr administrative jobs.

I hope it works! Detroit is too many hoodlums and yahoos running around.