Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 2013 Detroit Gold Cups Are Here

Be there or be square........

http://www.gold-cup.com/fan-guide

I see Steve David in the pepperoni powered O Boy Oberto [[U-1) topped the chart with a lap of 161.37 mph, followed closely by Jimmy Shane in the Graham Trucking at 161.12, and 8 of the 10 boats in the pits running above 140. Should be a good race. The Graham Trucking and Oberto are within 50 points of each other in the high points chase.

And, if you look at the U-22 facebook page, you'll see a picture of the Webster Racing boat with a familiar name.

https://www.facebook.com/u22websterracing

For more info on the race, including up to date stats, go here:

http://www.h1unlimited.com/

Someone on the forum had a thread about the Gold Cup races [[ which got buried among other threads) but I didn't hear or see one advertisement for the races this year. All of a sudden I heard something on the 11 o'clock news Thursday night [[a concert with Rick Springfield on the Detroit Yacht Club's grounds). Either the local news media is doing a poor job of covering stories or the Gold Cup people are relying on word of mouth to announce the races this weekend. Are the races now the second weekend in July? For years the date would change but at least there would be some advertisement the week before. Well, I guess I have to look for it next year since I have plans for this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Someone on the forum had a thread about the Gold Cup races [[ which got buried among other threads) but I didn't hear or see one advertisement for the races this year. All of a sudden I heard something on the 11 o'clock news Thursday night [[a concert with Rick Springfield on the Detroit Yacht Club's grounds). Either the local news media is doing a poor job of covering stories or the Gold Cup people are relying on word of mouth to announce the races this weekend. Are the races now the second weekend in July? For years the date would change but at least there would be some advertisement the week before. Well, I guess I have to look for it next year since I have plans for this weekend.
    The local "media" does a poor job of everything in this town.

Oberto is looking good, and so is a boat named "Qatar". It should be a good race. "Oh Boy"

The New Monitor had a front page article by the erstwhile George Eichorn. Other than that,you are right, nothing. Always was a big deal on Channel 7 with Fred Wolf, if I remember correctly, doing the announcing.

I miss the noise of the Allison engines and the Rolls Royce Merlins. Whiney turbocharged bastard boats these days do not get the blood pumping in the same way

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    The New Monitor had a front page article by the erstwhile George Eichorn. Other than that,you are right, nothing. Always was a big deal on Channel 7 with Fred Wolf, if I remember correctly, doing the announcing.

I miss the noise of the Allison engines and the Rolls Royce Merlins. Whiney turbocharged bastard boats these days do not get the blood pumping in the same way
    Meh, I don't feel that way anymore. C'mon down and listen to them winding up on the straight away, you might change your mind. It has sorta that Millennium Falon/F-18 effect.

What in the bloody blue blazes is Kip Brown doing winning a heat in Our Gang Racing's U-95? Graham Trucking's Jimmy Shane is doing what I expected him to do [[win heats the Oberto isn't in) but Steve David and the Oberto/Madison crew must have a BIG problem on their hands, and it wouldn't shock me to see him hiding his head after finishing behind Greg Hopp's sled in heat 2B.

Bong-man will be attending his 44th Gold Cup tomorrow, and will assume his usual position under the willow tree between the yacht club and the first pier. It's gonna be a hot one, and bush light might have to be the ticket to survive. Memories of Notre Dame, Bardahl, George Simon's Miss U.S., the 5 mile course, Pay 'n Pack, Allison Rolls-Royce engines, MR. JACK LOVE, the '82 race, Bill Muncey victory laps, pool tables on the island, swimming with the ducks, the '84 race...when you could walk across the island and hear Ernie Harwell everywhere !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Bong-man will be attending his 44th Gold Cup tomorrow, and will assume his usual position under the willow tree between the yacht club and the first pier. It's gonna be a hot one, and bush light might have to be the ticket to survive. Memories of Notre Dame, Bardahl, George Simon's Miss U.S., the 5 mile course, Pay 'n Pack, Allison Rolls-Royce engines, MR. JACK LOVE, the '82 race, Bill Muncey victory laps, pool tables on the island, swimming with the ducks, the '84 race...when you could walk across the island and hear Ernie Harwell everywhere !!
    Are you bringing the bong, man?

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW! Poor Steve David, who has never won a Gold Cup in 23 attempts, had it in the palm of his hand before he got flagged for a lane violation. I feel sorry for Steve, the folks in Madison, and Art Oberto, who has put his heart and soul into boatracing.

Now, having said that, Congrats to Kip Brown and the Our Gang Racing crew. They set up the U-95 perfectly, and after a heck of a fight with John Zimmerman in the U-9 Red Dot, won a very improbable victory and will take home the Gold Cup. I don't remember if his uncle, Nate Brown ever won the cup, but it's a good bet that his father in law, the late Terry Troxell, is looking down with a big grin on his face. Troxella also won an improbably Gold Cup in 2005 at the wheel of the Miss Al Deeby Dodge.

That was a hell of a final. Now, on to the Tri-Cities.

The Spirit of Qatar? I live about five blocks from MacArthur Bridge. I hear Crotch Rockets that are louder.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    The Spirit of Qatar? I live about five blocks from MacArthur Bridge. I hear Crotch Rockets that are louder.
    I agree about the crotch rockets, and the GP Harleys too. Sorry ronaldj, but after watching that Vintage Unlimited V-12 running for all she's worth, then the turbines, well no contest. Dem was the days, all right, but these new kids are a marvel. Besides, slow loud noise is just that, slow loud noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Are you bringing the bong, man?
    A 5 mile course....yep, bong included.