Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Best place of worship.

I am looking for a dynamic, inclusive, progressive congregation in Greater Downtown in which to worship. I don't care about denominations or labels. Anybody out there still going to church?

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    I am looking for a dynamic, inclusive, progressive congregation in Greater Downtown in which to worship. I don't care about denominations or labels. Anybody out there still going to church?
    I loved my community at Woodside Detroit.

http://www.woodsidebible.org/detroit-campus/

David,
    Personally I’m a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America [[the church that will be having its youth gathering with 35,000 people in 2015 in Detroit). Although there are no ELCA congregations in downtown Detroit, I recommended some similar faith communities that are welcoming and accepting. As a former Roman Catholic I would not recommend you attending a Catholic church [[except for Dignity Detroit). All of the congregations I listed should be welcoming and open to anyone. I feel like sometimes people feel abandoned by religion but don't realize there are inclusive faith communities like these where the spirit of God is truly alive.
    Peace,
    Ben

Fort Street Presbyterian [[PCUSA)
    10:00 AM Sunday
    631 W. Fort Street [[At Third St.)
    [[313) 961-4533

Central United Methodist
    10:30 AM Sunday
    23 E. Adams Ave.
    [[313)963-5422

Christ Church [[Episcopal)
    8:15 AM and 10:30 AM Sunday
    960 E. Jefferson Ave.
    [[313) 259-6688

Dignity Detroit [[Inclusive Roman Catholic) at Marygrove College
    6:00 PM Sunday
    8425 W. McNichols [[At Wyoming)
    [[313) 278-4786
    Last edited by Ben; July-11-13 at 11:19 PM.

There's nobody more progressive and inclusive than the UU's. I belong to First Unitarian Church of Oakland [[CA) but have attended Detroit's First UU when in town. http://1stuu.org/

Saint Elizabeth Roman Catholic Church 3138 East Canfield. An excellent choir!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-12-13 at 12:51 AM.

+1 on the UUs. I belong to the UU church in Vancouver and have also visited First UU Church of Detroit on Cass. Beautiful building too.

Saint Cecilia Roman Catholic Church 10400 Stoepe.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    +1 on the UUs. I belong to the UU church in Vancouver and have also visited First UU Church of Detroit on Cass. Beautiful building too.
    First Unitarian-Universalistic Church of Detroit 4605 Cass Avenue. Sorry about the dark image.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Saint Cecilia Roman Catholic Church 10400 Stoepe.
    But he said progressive and inclusive, which sort of rules the RCC out. Perhaps the Cathedral Abbey of St. Anthony, since its Ecumenical Catholic and not Roman Catholic http://www.cathedralofstanthonydetroit.org/
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; July-12-13 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    David,
    Personally I’m a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America [[the church that will be having its youth gathering with 35,000 people in 2015 in Detroit). Although there are no ELCA congregations in downtown Detroit, I recommended some similar faith communities that are welcoming and accepting. As a former Roman Catholic I would not recommend you attending a Catholic church [[except for Dignity Detroit). All of the congregations I listed should be welcoming and open to anyone. I feel like sometimes people feel abandoned by religion but don't realize there are inclusive faith communities like these where the spirit of God is truly alive.
    Peace,
    Ben

[[313) 961-4533

Central United Methodist
    23 E. Adams Ave.
    [[313)963-5422

960 E. Jefferson Ave.
    [[313) 259-6688

[[313) 278-4786
    Fort Street Presbyterian Church 631 West Fort Street. Very nice staff.

David,
    Peace,
    Ben

[[313) 961-4533

Central United Methodist
    23 E. Adams Ave.
    [[313)963-5422

960 E. Jefferson Ave.
    [[313) 259-6688

[[313) 278-4786
    Central Methodist Church 23 East Adams.

David,
    Peace,
    Ben

[[313) 961-4533

Central United Methodist
    23 E. Adams Ave.
    [[313)963-5422

960 E. Jefferson Ave.
    [[313) 259-6688

[[313) 278-4786
    Christ Church 960 East Jefferson. Not sure why Ben mentioned this as a progressive church. Its a favorite of many ultra right wing Grosse Pointe residents I know.

David,
    Peace,
    Ben

[[313) 961-4533

Central United Methodist
    23 E. Adams Ave.
    [[313)963-5422

960 E. Jefferson Ave.
    [[313) 259-6688

[[313) 278-4786
    Marygrove College 8425 West McNichols. I have not been to a mass there but it sounds like a drive to the west side is in order.Also all the denominations in the city run the gamut from progressive to ultra conservative Take time out to check as many as possible. The historic architecture is worth the trip to most of the churches in the city.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-12-13 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Christ Church 960 East Jefferson. Not sure why Ben mentioned this as a progressive church. Its a favorite of many ultra right wing Grosse Pointe residents I know.
    I think you're talking about Christ Church Grosse Pointe not Christ Church Detroit. Sometimes I wonder why you would name two churches the same thing that are very close to each other. Anyway on Christ Detroit's website it said they welcome gay people which lead me to believe they were progressive.

I love Old St. Mary's downtown. I guess there are 2 ways of picking a house of worship, and both are legit. First you can make a list of what you want and need in a church, i.e. teachings, fellowship, community involvement, etc. Then investigate by asking around, stopping by and meeting the priest/minister, looking up the religious tenets, etc. The other method is just visit different church every week until one feels like your spiritual home. While I am firmly Catholic and love OSM, I enjoy sometimes attending other services as well. I find most churches and congregations to be very welcoming and approving of anyone coming to share worship. Good luck, and enjoy your search. God can be found in any home.

Forgot to mention, the title of the post including the word "best" is a little misguided. No such thing as a best church. You're looking for the right church for you, which is different.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    We attend St John St Luke [[also called Old St Johns, United Church of Christ on Russel South of Gratiot by Eastern Market, Beautiful Old building but tiny Congregation. UCC is very liberal and open minded.

I do agree that you should shop around though. High on my list of other churches is Judah Temple off Kercheval on Beaufait, Messiah on East Grand Blvd or Genesis on Mack and East Grand. These churches all have dynamic community outreach programs. Or check out the website for RECI a group of diverse congregations working together to better the eastside. 18 churches are listed. miroundtable.org/riverfronteast.htm

Happy hunting.In Detroit vernacular, "have a blessed day".

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I believe you mean "blessed and HIGHLY FAVORED day", don't you?

I think you're talking about Christ Church Grosse Pointe not Christ Church Detroit. Sometimes I wonder why you would name two churches the same thing that are very close to each other. Anyway on Christ Detroit's website it said they welcome gay people which lead me to believe they were progressive.
    You don 't know much about Christ Church GP. its very liberal. In fact many conservative patrons have left and gone to St. John's downtown,Christ Church downtown and Mariners.So I guess knowing people who actually attend the church does not matter as much as what their website says?
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-12-13 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I love Old St. Mary's downtown. I guess there are 2 ways of picking a house of worship, and both are legit. First you can make a list of what you want and need in a church, i.e. teachings, fellowship, community involvement, etc. Then investigate by asking around, stopping by and meeting the priest/minister, looking up the religious tenets, etc. The other method is just visit different church every week until one feels like your spiritual home. While I am firmly Catholic and love OSM, I enjoy sometimes attending other services as well. I find most churches and congregations to be very welcoming and approving of anyone coming to share worship. Good luck, and enjoy your search. God can be found in any home.
    St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church 64 East Monroe. Well worth visiting!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    But he said progressive and inclusive, which sort of rules the RCC out. Perhaps the Cathedral Abbey of St. Anthony, since its Ecumenical Catholic and not Roman Catholic http://www.cathedralofstanthonydetroit.org/
    Both At. Cecilia's and St. Elizabeth's are far more inclusive than almost all Catholic churches in the city and more inclusive than most churches in general in the area. i have not been to St. Anthony''s unfortunately the pastor is not someone I would want to be around.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-12-13 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    We attend St John St Luke [[also called Old St Johns, United Church of Christ on Russel South of Gratiot by Eastern Market, Beautiful Old building but tiny Congregation. UCC is very liberal and open minded.

I do agree that you should shop around though. High on my list of other churches is Judah Temple off Kercheval on Beaufait, Messiah on East Grand Blvd or Genesis on Mack and East Grand. These churches all have dynamic community outreach programs. Or check out the website for RECI a group of diverse congregations working together to better the eastside. 18 churches are listed. miroundtable.org/riverfronteast.htm

St. John's-Saint Luke's Evangelical Church 2120 Russell. The building has a unique history.

if you want dynamic, progressive, inclusive i highly recommend gesu parish on oak dr & 7 mile.

you won't be disappointed
    Last edited by hybridy; July-12-13 at 08:48 AM.

Downtown Guest

How about the Downtown Synagogue?

"The Downtown Synagogue envisions itself as a broadly inclusive institution: one in which anyone may discover Judaism in a safe and welcoming environment."

http://downtownsynagogue.org/about/

Progressive? Sacred Heart at Mack and Rivard near Eastern Mkt. or the previously mentioned St. Elizabeth's. No one is more progressive than the pastor of both churches, Rev. Norman Thomas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast