Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit steak houses

I'm looking for a great steak house in Detroit. I live just outside the city, but I love coming to Detroit for great food and entertainment. I was actually able to dine at Carl Chop House once before it closed. My wife and I were one of only four tables there on a Thursday night, and it was probably one of the best meals I've ever had. Anyway, what would currently be one of the top chop houses in Detroit?

Capers Steakhouse is finally getting some love, on Gratiot near 7 Mile. Clearly it's not in the hippest part of town, but it's probably the best steak you can get for your buck.

http://metrotimes.com/food/restauran...ouse-1.1514896

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I'm looking for a great steak house in Detroit. I live just outside the city, but I love coming to Detroit for great food and entertainment. I was actually able to dine at Carl Chop House once before it closed. My wife and I were one of only four tables there on a Thursday night, and it was probably one of the best meals I've ever had. Anyway, what would currently be one of the top chop houses in Detroit?
    Have you tried London Chop House downtown?

http://www.thelondonchophouse.com/

And while not a traditional chop house, I love the steaks at Roast. I've never had a bad meal there.

Last time I went to Coach Insignia the steaks were pretty good, but I haven't been in a couple of years. Bourbon Steak at MGM was very good, but I don't think it's open anymore.

The best value for steak is currently Capers, where [[IIRC) you can get your steak by the ounce, or Big Beaver Tavern in Troy, which is basically now a low-priced version of Larcos - perfectly cooked $22 filets and $15 prime rib. These are the exact same cuts you'd pay double for at Mortons or Ruths Chris.

One of the best steaks I've ever had in the city was at Monroe St in Greektown.

http://www.monroeststeakhouse.com/

I like the Ponderosa at Greenfield and Michigan.

I haven't had a steak in the city yet, but I'm a big fan of La Bistecca in Plymouth

Downtown Guest

I think the London Chop House is the best place in the City for steak. Although certainly not cheap, but their bone-in ribeye is probably one of the best steaks I've ever had anywhere.

Within the Metro area, I'd suggest Mr. Paul's Chophouse in Roseville, MI. Their steaks and prime rib are quite good. However, the highlight of Mr. Paul's menu is their table-side offerings: Caesar salad, cherries jubilee, chateaubriand, etc. Mr. Paul's Caesar salad is superlative.

You guys already got Capers and London Chop House. Yeah, Bourbon Steak closed, but one of the replacements is Wolfgang Puck Steak House -- not sure of the quality, but that's another.

Also, any of the old-fashioned surf-and-turf places will serve some decent cuts of steak. Inside the Renaissance Center downtown, Joe Muer offers some good cuts, with the added pleasure of their historic "zip sauce."

Kiernan's in Dearborn

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I haven't had a steak in the city yet, but I'm a big fan of La Bistecca in Plymouth
    IMO La Bistecca is way over-priced. I only ate there once and the meat was not that great particularly when you consider the big show they make of it being piemontese, the best you can buy.... I find it funny that the Costanza family runs the place. I have visions of Mrs Costanza screaming "Georgie" and Mr. Costanza parading around telling the staff how much they have disappointed him since the last festivus.

I think the OP means "Detroit" Detroit. Not "metro Detroit" Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    IMO La Bistecca is way over-priced. I only ate there once and the meat was not that great particularly when you consider the big show they make of it being piemontese, the best you can buy.... I find it funny that the Costanza family runs the place. I have visions of Mrs Costanza screaming "Georgie" and Mr. Costanza parading around telling the staff how much they have disappointed him since the last festivus.
    It's a bit pricey, but they are pretty constantly running Groupons and others, so it helps cut the cost down. Even so, $30 for a filet isn't anything out of the ordinary. Every time I've been there everything has been very good.

For a slightly more earthy dining experience, may I suggest Joey's Meat Cutters Bar and Grill on Orleans in the Eastern Market.

While their main bill-of-fare centers on the standard burgers and beer, they also have a T-bone that will make you ashamed to be a carnivore. It is large in the way the Hindenberg was large, and it is a tender as mother's love.

i have heard you can call a day ahead and custom order a particular cut of meat if T-bones aren't to your liking. Haven't done that myself. Their meat is fresh. Very fresh. Those moos you hear in the morning are on your plate at noon.

wear stretch pants

http://www.cuttersdetroit.com/menu.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    While their main bill-of-fare centers on the standard burgers and beer, they also have a T-bone that will make you ashamed to be a carnivore. It is large in the way the Hindenberg was large, and it is a tender as mother's love.
    This might be the best food review I have ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I think the OP means "Detroit" Detroit. Not "metro Detroit" Detroit.
    That is not the mission of the Website.
    http://www.detroityes.com/about.php

"The DetroitYES! Project takes on these questions by providing a cyberspace setting where an audience of those who care can meet, discuss, and discover the way forward toward resolution of the the complex and evolving issues facing the struggling Detroit-Windsor international metropolis."

"The DetroitYES! Project takes on these questions by providing a cyberspace setting where an audience of those who care can meet, discuss, and discover the way forward toward resolution of the the complex and evolving issues facing the struggling Detroit-Windsor international metropolis."
    Mission, smission. OP asked, "I'm looking for a great steak house in Detroit. I live just outside the city, but I love coming to Detroit for great food and entertainment. ... Anyway, what would currently be one of the top chop houses in Detroit?"

So here's somebody all excited about going into the city of Detroit to eat steak, and ... well, no biggie, but it's kind of funny to hear people suggest Mr. Paul's or Kiernan's.

Maybe the resolution to the complex and evolving issues facing this region is found within a "Detroit" Detroit steakhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Maybe the resolution to the complex and evolving issues facing this region is found within a "Detroit" Detroit steakhouse.
    Ha! That sort of "resolution" seems apparent when all sorts of folks chow down together at Capers.

Did you read the OP?

If someone came on for suggestions of good restaurants in Royal Oak, would you mention a place in Wyandotte?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I've never been, but aquaintances tell me it's very good. Don't forget your wallet!

http://www.roastdetroit.com/dinner-menu/

At a recent visit to the London Chop House I ordered the NY Strip. The meal was one of the best I've had in a restaurant in a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    For a slightly more earthy dining experience, may I suggest Joey's Meat Cutters Bar and Grill on Orleans in the Eastern Market.

i have heard you can call a day ahead and custom order a particular cut of meat if T-bones aren't to your liking. Haven't done that myself. Their meat is fresh. Very fresh. Those moos you hear in the morning are on your plate at noon.

wear stretch pants

http://www.cuttersdetroit.com/menu.aspx
    Hilarious, love it

Hey, Gnome
    Cutter's was not necessarily a home away from home, but we always had a good burger and or a steak when we were there. Stopped last Saturday while at the market and settled to split an 8 oz burger. Recommended a "pairing" of Newcastle Dark Ale. Sumas thought it quite fitting. I, alas, was doomed to tonic water. Onion rings were great.

We both miss German Joe behind the grill. And the booths across the grill are now gone. Still would recommend the place as great place to eat.

Speaking of Capers.....was there once a location way out on Groesbeck? Same ownership, perhaps? Yeah, it wasn't "Detroit proper," but my late husband took me there on our 2nd date in '05, so I will make mention. Good times, great steak.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast