Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Big Weed Bust

I'm sure you have all seen/read the stories on this. How much do you think was spent on this bust? Couldn't that money have been spent going after violent criminals?

There was a warehouse that was secure and being used, now it is vacant and getting stripped.

What a waste.

Time to follow Colorado and Washington. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I'm sure you have all seen/read the stories on this. How much do you think was spent on this bust? Couldn't that money have been spent going after violent criminals?

There was a warehouse that was secure and being used, now it is vacant and getting stripped.

What a waste.

Not with an AG and a state legislature straight out of Teabagistan.

Where there are grow-ops, there are violent criminals behind the operation. As long as pot remains illegal this will always be the case.

Fully agree. Time to get the profits and lost tax revenue out of the hands of violent criminals and into the hands of business and the state where it belongs.

The Feds have raided and shuddered most if not all of the dispensaries in San Diego County. Some dispensaries closed out of fear that the Feds would hit their businesses next. A person can still obtain a medical marijuana card [[approximately $40.00) and there still are dispensaries that “deliver only”.
    The Feds are also on a mission to raid the growing operations – which are about as common as wine vineyards in California.

There is big money now in putting people behind bars since we now have privatized prisons. This is the easiest and safest way to fill the prisons. Pot growers are generally the most not violent of all offenders so they're easy to bust and makes a big show for the news media. Remember when Bing showed up for the pot bust on Chene X Mack?

IMHO privatized prisons are just a modern day slavery. Making a profit off of jailing someone is sick and wrong and is already leading down a dirty path.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    There is big money now in putting people behind bars since we now have privatized prisons. This is the easiest and safest way to fill the prisons. Pot growers are generally the most not violent of all offenders so they're easy to bust and makes a big show for the news media. Remember when Bing showed up for the pot bust on Chene X Mack?

IMHO privatized prisons are just a modern day slavery. Making a profit off of jailing someone is sick and wrong and is already leading down a dirty path.
    have the privatized michigan prisons? or federal?

legalize it, stop wasting tax dollars and police resources on this crap.
    the crime labs cant even test rape kits because theres so many drug cases?
    courts are full of posession cases.
    jails are full of non violent posession probation violations, they let murderers and rapists out on tether.
    prohibition hasnt ended drugs, only made the cartels and gangs stronger.
    kids can get drugs easier than tobacco / alcohol.

drug war has failed.

We need to seriously reassess public opinion regarding weed. First and foremost, the plant provides medicinal and textile benefits. The public has been blasted with misinformation and fear campaigns for years. It's about time a healthy debate was provided to all people so they may cast their own conclusions free of interference and agenda.

I also find myself returning to the age old question of; How is it that this substance occurs naturally on our planet, yet we demonize its existence. At the same time we have propped up the prescription industry with subsidies and an oligopolistic marketplace, and created a super-highway for these illicit drugs to reach our children at an alarming rate. Just another glaring example of the hands of gov't and BIG BIZ washing each other.

I'm a believer of "It's only a matter of time", yet I know if will be a long, uphill journey before our society learns to accept this subject. In related terms, our society has made great strides within the Civil Rights realm, so this should be turn key for us. I'm also looking directly at the changing of the guard when baby boomers no longer have such pull with our social lawmakers. If it doesn't happen in the next five years, the gen x/millenials will certainly finish the job in the following five.
    Last edited by TKshreve; July-11-13 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Not with an AG and a state legislature straight out of Teabagistan.
    If you are talking about libertarian "teabaggers," they are for legalization.

In any case, you'd still have the feds coming after you. Apparently when Obama said he was going to de-prioritize federal medical marijuana enforcement, what he actually meant was that he WASN'T going to de-prioritize medical marijuana enforcement.

If you are talking about libertarian "teabaggers," they are for legalization.
    I'm talking about the evangelical hypocrites that are all about limited government....except when it comes to things they want to limit.

In any case, you'd still have the feds coming after you. Apparently when Obama said he was going to de-prioritize federal medical marijuana enforcement, what he actually meant was that he WASN'T going to de-prioritize medical marijuana enforcement
    its been 6 months for colorado... I don't recall reading about any mass arrests or any fed actions at all. Also, it wasn't the feds busting that warehouse, or going after dispensaries here in MI...

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I'm talking about the evangelical hypocrites that are all about limited government....except when it comes to things they want to limit.
    So, not libertarians? Those would be neocons? You could just say neocons then. Teabaggers seem to be just about anything you want them to be.

its been 6 months for colorado... I don't recall reading about any mass arrests or any fed actions at all. Also, it wasn't the feds busting that warehouse, or going after dispensaries here in MI...
    The busts will be forthcoming.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ana-crackdown/

So, not libertarians? Those would be neocons? You could just say neocons then. Teabaggers seem to be just about anything you want them to be.
    When the teabaggers disavow people like Schuette, I'll worry about who the label applies to.
    Five of Michigan’s most well known Tea Party leaders announced their endorsements of Bill Schuette for Attorney General.

Joan Fabiano of Grassroots in Michigan, William Taylor Hollister, Jr. of MEDEFCO [[Metro Detroit Freedom Coalition) and Sharon Lollio, along with her board members Maribeth Schmidt and Tom Costello from the Rattle With Us Tea Party, support former Appeals Court Judge Bill Schuette in his race for Michigan’s top law enforcement position.

Joan Fabiano of Grassroots in Michigan said, “Attorney General is an extremely important position. We need a strong, hard working conservative who will be an advocate for the citizens of the State of Michigan. Bill Schuette is that candidate and that’s why I’m encouraging precinct delegates to cast their vote for Bill Schuette for Attorney General.”

William Taylor Hollister, Jr. of MEDEFCO said, “I believe Bill Schuette has the experience, knowledge and understanding to run the Office of Attorney General well. He will utilize the office to keep Michigan a sound and sovereign state.”

Sharon Lollio of Rattle With Us Tea Party said, “The Rattle With Us Tea Party organizers endorse Bill Schuette in his bid to be Michigan’s next Attorney General. W ith the threat of a fake Tea Party on the ballot, we feel this endorsement is necessary to avoid confusion at the polls.”

Bill Schuette responded by saying, “I am honored to have earned the support of these freedom-loving patriots. They are ‘On Duty for Bill Schuette.’ The Tea Party proved that it is a powerful force to be reckoned with in last week’s election. I look forward to working with them not just in this election, but over the next four years as we make bold, fundamental changes in Lansing and put public safety first.”

AND...

Dennis Moore joins numerous other Tea Party leaders who have endorsed Bill Schuette for Attorney General;

“I am honored to have earned the support of Dennis Moore from the Willow Run Tea Party Caucus,” Schuette said. “The Tea Party is a grassroots surge that is fed up with government that spends too much, taxes too much and takes away too many of our constitutional freedoms. I agree with them. Enough is enough. Both the Washington and Lansing establishments have failed us. It’s time to change course.”
    Perhaps, but I'm thinking less likely in the long run.
    Last edited by bailey; July-11-13 at 10:41 AM.

have the privatized michigan prisons? or federal?
    Im not sure if Mi has any yet. Ive read they only consist of about 5% of prisons but they are growing fast, there is a lot of money in storing ppl, then putting them to work for pennies. UNICOR is a big one if not the biggest contractor using prison labor.
    Ill have to look into your question though rb336.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post

The busts will be forthcoming.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ana-crackdown/

So is Rand Paul a teabagger, a neocon or a libertarian? He seems to have one agenda no taxes on anything. he's perfectly OK with the government sticking its nose into the Dr./patient relationship, at least where women are concerned

So is Rand Paul a teabagger, a neocon or a libertarian? He seems to have one agenda no taxes on anything. he's perfectly OK with the government sticking its nose into the Dr./patient relationship, at least where women are concerned
    The tea party movement is supposedly only involved with taxes and limiting government spending, so I guess he falls into that camp.

He is anti-abortion, but also for eliminating the federal enforcement of drug laws, so figure that one out.

BTW his dad was anti-abortion, but didn't think the federal government had the power to ban the practice.

In other news, sales of Chee-to snacks have plummeted throughout the greater Detroit area.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    In other news, sales of Chee-to snacks have plummeted throughout the greater Detroit area.

Also in Munchie Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The tea party movement is supposedly only involved with taxes and limiting government spending, so I guess he falls into that camp.

He is anti-abortion, but also for eliminating the federal enforcement of drug laws, so figure that one out.

BTW his dad was anti-abortion, but didn't think the federal government had the power to ban the practice.
    Technically I would think right wingers would be the first to try and end the war on drugs as they are for small limited government that stays the hell out of the peoples business.

There is big money now in putting people behind bars since we now have privatized prisons. This is the easiest and safest way to fill the prisons.
    I agree 100%. This shit has to stop.

old guy

Have you seen the movie The House I Live In?
    its on Netflix
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?m...c7e70-19842375

old guy

Have you seen the movie The House I Live In?
    its on Netflix
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?m...c7e70-19842375
    See the trailer at http://www.TheHouseILiveIn.org/.

I'll have to check that movie out.

Here's some info on the privatization of prisons.

The U.S. has the world's highest incarceration rate, with 2.2 million people, or nearly 1 in 100 behind bars. Rising immigration detentions and the disastrous "war on drugs" have helped push inmate numbers to record highs in recent decades. While this growing, largely nonviolent population has stretched federal and state prisons and budgets past their limits, the prison industrial complex has eagerly expanded to accomodate — and anticipate — new masses of inmates.
    Corrections Corporation of America [[CCA), now the nation's largest private prison company, was founded just over 30 years ago in Nashville. Since then, it has become a multi-billion-dollar-a-year business with more than 60 facilities across the country. Meanwhile, the U.S. prison population has grown 500 percent.
    A look at the CCA's annual shareholder reports over the past few years shows an aggressive business strategy based on building prison beds, or buying them off the government, and contracting them to government authorities — sometimes with decades-long contacts mandating minimum occupancy rates as high as 90 percent. Profits, after lining the pockets of shareholders, are used to create more beds and to lobby state and federal agencies to deliver inmates to fill them. The resulting facilities can be violent and disgusting.
    CCA is currently building 10,000 new beds to meet expected demand.

The amazing part of that article is that for CCA to sign a contract to buy or lease a prison, they insist on a minimum occupancy rate for the length of the contract. What does that tell you?

We continue to benefit from a positive environment where the need for prison beds should exceed supply for the foreseeable future.
    – CCA 2005 Annual Report

Our compensated man-days, or the number of days we are compensated for the occupancy of one inmate, rose 7.4% to 24.9 million compared with 23.2 million compensated man-days in 2005. The increase in man-days resulted in substantial revenue growth, excellent cash flow growth and strong earnings growth during 2006.
    – CCA 2006 Annual Report

Historically, we have been successful in substantially filling our inventory of available beds and the beds that we have constructed. Filling these available beds would provide substantial growth in revenues, cash flow, and earnings per share.
    – CCA 2010 Annual Report

We believe we have been successful in increasing the number of residents in our care and continue to pursue a number of initiatives intended to further increase our occupancy and revenue.
    – CCA 2010 Annual Report

Any changes with respect to drugs and controlled substances or illegal immigration could affect the number of persons arrested, convicted, and sentenced, thereby potentially reducing demand for correctional facilities to house them.
    – CCA 2010 Annual Report

Prison facilities consist primarily of concrete and steel and don’t require the level of capital improvements as many traditional real estate properties. Therefore, prison facilities typically have economic lives much longer than many traditional real estate properties.
    – CCA 2013 Annual Letter to Shareholders

We are compensated for operating and managing facilities at an inmate per diem rate based upon actual or minimum guaranteed occupancy levels.
    – 2009 CCA Annual Report

A recent study released by the Pew Charitable Trust indicates that one in every 100 U.S. adults are in prison or in jail. With the U.S. population estimated to grow by more than 18.5 million between 2007 and 2015, about 20,000 prisoners per year will be added to the system over the next seven years if historical trends in incarceration rates continue.
    – CCA 2008 Annual Report

Our primary business strategy is to provide quality corrections services, offer a compelling value, and increase occupancy and revenue, while maintaining our position as the leading owner, operator, and manager of privatized correctional and detention facilities.
    – CCA 2011 Annual Report

Its a sick new world.

Essentially, the court system will no longer be based on whether you're guilty, or not guilty, but on a quota system to fulfill basic contracts. America, and the legal justice system? Good luck if you're not wealthy enough to hire a good attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Essentially, the court system will no longer be based on whether you're guilty, or not guilty, but on a quota system to fulfill basic contracts. America, and the legal justice system? Good luck if you're not wealthy enough to hire a good attorney.
    Or pay off everyone involved and be set free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast