Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Blew my mind --- I saw a Det Cop Waiting for Speeders!

I spend a lot of time driving in Detroit and find the driving experience quite different within city limits. Speeding, using parking lanes for passing, running red lights, etc. Yesterday I saw a Detroit cop in a brand new car [[looked like a black tank) sitting on the side of the road waiting for speeders, just like cops do in Royal Oak all the time. I also saw a similar brand new black police car getting on the expressway. Detroiters have been getting away with bad and dangerous driving practices because the police have had to deal with the violence, but perhaps dangerous drivers will start getting pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcanelli View Post
    I spend a lot of time driving in Detroit and find the driving experience quite different within city limits. Speeding, using parking lanes for passing, running red lights, etc. Yesterday I saw a Detroit cop in a brand new car [[looked like a black tank) sitting on the side of the road waiting for speeders, just like cops do in Royal Oak all the time. I also saw a similar brand new black police car getting on the expressway. Detroiters have been getting away with bad and dangerous driving practices because the police have had to deal with the violence, but perhaps dangerous drivers will start getting pulled over.
    I see them quite often lined up two and three deep picking off people speeding and running that light on Jos Campau at Jefferson. They are hidden from downtown bound traffic by the apartment building. Perfect trap.

Funny how they only seem to pull over during the morning rush.

Like the suburban cops you note, the sole reason for this action is to collect $$.

This is the more active police force I've seen lately. But reading that NYTimes article on the impending bankruptcy mentioned 50min+ response times from the cops this year. Horrific. That article upset me.

There were 10-15 young men selling water at 94 and Moross yesterday, and many of them were running into traffic and even down the service drive ramp. It was very dangerous, and I thought about calling DPD, but I figured they wouldn't come until somebody was run over. Hopefully, the new police chief will direct the department in a way that makes it more proactive to basic safety, crime prevention, and quality of life issues.

Its natural for the cops to nail suburbanites coming in for work. Highly unlikely they have to arrest them for priors and much less paperwork.
    Last edited by noggin; July-10-13 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Its natural for the cops to nail suburbanites coming in for work. Highly unlikely they have arrest them for priors and much less paperwork.
    "natural for cops to nail suburbanites"??? I guess they have a special crystal ball that tells them who they are stopping before they stop them. Your statement is just not true.

Just as an FYI...... some of the WORST speeders and traffic law violators are from GP, and points beyond, leaving Downtown, during rush hour.

48009 Guest

Its natural for the cops to nail suburbanites coming in for work. Highly unlikely they have to arrest them for priors and much less paperwork.
    ...and they actually pay their fines, in full and on time.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    "natural for cops to nail suburbanites"??? I guess they have a special crystal ball that tells them who they are stopping before they stop them. Your statement is just not true.
    Who else is rushing into the city from 7:00-9:00am? It's not rocket science.
    Last edited by 48009; July-10-13 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Just as an FYI...... some of the WORST speeders and traffic law violators are from GP, and points beyond, leaving Downtown, during rush hour.
    You probably do not find yourself on the Detroit freeways much during the weekend latenight rush, do you? Good for you. Probably add four years to your life.

Well, it's fuching crazy town at that time. Way more so then rush hour.

I have to agree with that last statement...weekend freeway driving can be downright dangerous in Detroit, where you will be driving a long and one or two cars will pass you at nearly 100 miles per hour.

The folks doing rush hour from GP are just driving reasonable speeds for a 9 lane road with few pedestrians.

Driving in Detroit has its risks at all times.

The GP crowd on the surface streets can be unruly and aggressive on both the drive-in and the drive-home. I think they are largely MORE dangerous in the mornings, actually. Slightly more reckless and over-the-limit.

But they are joined by more than a few city drivers along the way, every day.

They all react poorly to little ol' me now, when I'm commuting with my honey, since I obey all the limits and hang in the right-hand lane...what with the new Chief and EM dropping into town and all.

This will only get worse before it gets better. I'm guessing we'll have Detroit tutorials on what to do WHEN the high-speed chase happens upon you on the freeways, like they had a decade ago in LA.

If they would only time the lights on Vernor and Charlevoix to change at the speed limit and not just over 50mph...and somebody is going to get killed on Lafayette again. People treat that like a freeway.
    Last edited by Gannon; July-10-13 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    You probably do not find yourself on the Detroit freeways much during the weekend latenight rush, do you? Good for you. Probably add four years to your life.

Well, it's fuching crazy town at that time. Way more so then rush hour.
    No, not during weekend late nights. I do drive the rush hour back and forth on 94 daily. I have a problem with people driving, [[a stretch), weaving in and out @ accssesive speeds, running reds, passing in parking lanes, etc., and generally being disrespectful to Detroit and it's citizens.

I saw the cop parked along the roadside on Oakland Avenue, south of Ford Park. It's industrial along that patch of road and I doubt if suburbanites use this route often.

No, not during weekend late nights. I do drive the rush hour back and forth on 94 daily. I have a problem with people driving, [[a stretch), weaving in and out @ accssesive speeds, running reds, passing in parking lanes, etc., and generally being disrespectful to Detroit and it's citizens.
    HT quite a few GP residents do speed and drive like morons on E. Jefferson. This GP resident used to be one of them.
    I have seen quite a few DPD officers pulling over drivers on E. Jefferson for almost a year now, and applaud their efforts. Although they are out gunned at the moment.
    As for bad driving by far the worst stop light offenders are DPD officers and that has been going on long before I started driving over 35 years ago. Second worst offenders are Detroit residents. I was on Van Dyke between E. Warren and E. Jefferson over the weekend and I was the only one waiting at a stop light, EVERY other car ran the lights. This was not 1 or 2 cars but 15 or 20. In my routes around the city I see this behavior being repeated constantly.
    Bad driving is a problem for all parts of the metro area. I do not know what to do about the problem except to install German style licensing for the drivers of this state.

The scariest driving in Detroit is definetely weekend nights - specifically Friday & Saturday evening between about 10pm - 2am.
    I-75 NB from downtown out to Royal Oak, the Lodge from downtown out Southfield, M-39 NB from Dearborn to 696, and all of I-94 are just downright scary. Regardless if there is a Tigers game or sporting event. Horrific driving, insane speeding, weaving, cutting off, aggressive driving, and probably a lot of drunk & high people too.

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
    The scariest driving in Detroit is definetely weekend nights - specifically Friday & Saturday evening between about 10pm - 2am.
    I-75 NB from downtown out to Royal Oak, the Lodge from downtown out Southfield, M-39 NB from Dearborn to 696, and all of I-94 are just downright scary. Regardless if there is a Tigers game or sporting event. Horrific driving, insane speeding, weaving, cutting off, aggressive driving, and probably a lot of drunk & high people too.
    I'm glad I'm home when the street lights come on......

Clearly, Fulcanelli, you haven't been driving all around Detroit or you haven't done it as long as you claim you have. Detroit cops have been pulling folks over for traffic violations for as long as I've been driving and then some. Why the "shock" that you actually saw Detroit cops pull somebody over for a traffic violation like speeding? I've been driving on Detroit streets for 34 years. Most of my tickets have come from Detroit cops. They can be anywhere. If you drive along McNichols and Outer Drive, they wait for you to make an illegal left-turn during rush hour. If you're on Evergreen between Fenkell and Schoolcraft, they are waiting for you. Along Jefferson I have seen them. I once saw a Detroit cop pull over someone on New Year's Day, in the late morning on a Sunday. My last Detroit ticket was given to me for speeding on Curtis and Wyoming on a Saturday morning.

There are places where you can expect traffic cops to be present in any city [[my least favorite area to drive is on Telegraph in Redford Township). It shouldn't come as a shock that Detroit cops are handing out speeding tickets. Just like someone mentioned earlier, they do it for the money. Maybe with the city being cash-strapped there are more traffic cops on the streets or maybe you're just noticing them more. No big whup.

Agreed Royce. Anywhere along Outer Drive btw the hours of 4-6 pm. If you make that left turn, you will get pulled over. Oh, and that white cruiser writing that ticket to your left? There's another one waitin' you just can't see him.

That's what I'm talking about... stay in and avoid the driving maniacs......

I'm glad I'm home when the street lights come on......
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-11-13 at 06:50 AM.

My favorite but very rare traffic stop is that overpass behind the Chrysler Jefferson plant on Mack. Simple inertia,going down puts one over the limit.

Withstanding the drunks and stoned folks weaving in and out of traffic, top speed, don't they have enough violent crimes to solve?

Case in point, I rarely speed and was going a bit over the limit down Woodward right near the Calvert street HPark border and bingo on go the lights of the Highland Park police. After a lecture on speeding which I respectfully endured, the officer was about to pen-to-paper my first in life speeding ticket when his partner flagged him back to the squad car to attend to something apparently more 'serious'.

He instead gave me a fast warning, got back into his squad car, backed-up, did a nearly two wheel u-turn top speed the opposite direction north-bound down Woodward lights and horn blaring!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-11-13 at 07:01 AM.

I think the shock is in that with the increased crime police give some traffic infractions a pass. IMO, from observations Detroit police ignore some traffic violations in deference for more important calls. I've seen people commit minor traffic violations in front of police and nothing happens. That particular squad car in route for something more pressing apparently. I've seen folks speeding down Woodward, Davison, etc. going top speed with a police cruiser the next lane, also speeding. Lucky folks perhaps.

Then there are speed traps and high traffic enforcement areas and if you are speeding there then you do so at your own risk. Those black 'traffic enforcement' marked squad cars detail and deal with traffic issues more readily too. I've seen them flank a given intersection and have a field day on folks who have gotten 'careless' thinking the police will always ignore their traffic infractions.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Why the "shock" that you actually saw Detroit cops pull somebody over for a traffic violation like speeding? I've been driving on Detroit streets for 34 years. Most of my tickets have come from Detroit cops. They can be anywhere.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-11-13 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I've seen people commit minor traffic violations in front of police and nothing happens. That particular squad car in route for something more pressing apparently.
    I wouldn't bet on it. I see that happen occasionally, too, but the cops don't seem to be on their way anywhere. Instead, I think it more a "it's not my job mentality." As in, traffic infractions are for the traffic cops to deal with.