Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Commentary about Detroit's Challenges

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/us...s.html?hp&_r=0

This link is to a front page story in today's New York paper. I suspect that most of us are very familiar with these issues. However, it might help to bring attention to the fact that
    the city's problems are much more than the current fiscal crisis or incompetent elected officials. Much of the city's middle class moved to the suburbs in the decades after World War II. After whites' racial attitudes changed and the Open Housing law became effective, the suburban ring was open to blacks and now there is a substantial exodus from the city of middle class African Americans. The city is attracting a moderate number of young professionals who work in downtown and Midtown but many of the older neighborhoods are populated by those who cannot readily move to the suburban ring.

Frankly, kiss your own pompous ass. I love my home, neighborhood and diversity.I live in Detroit because I want to. I'll stack my 108 yr old craftsman house against your match box.

Life is alive and well in "the inner" city. we do not want your suburbs, traffic or crime. We have a neighborhood of inclusion, adore our kids and have a sense of civic responsibility. If city services fail, we have an alternate plan.

The news media has fun depicting us as downtrodden, that's hilarious too.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Frankly, kiss your own pompous ass. I love my home, neighborhood and diversity.I live in Detroit because I want to. I'll stack my 108 yr old craftsman house against your match box.

Life is alive and well in "the inner" city. we do not want your suburbs, traffic or crime. We have a neighborhood of inclusion, adore our kids and have a sense of civic responsibility. If city services fail, we have an alternate plan.

The news media has fun depicting us as downtrodden, that's hilarious too.
    I don't doubt you have a stable neighborhood...but this is a macro issue. For each story like yours, there's unfortunately dozens that call for the need to revitalize and reform the inner city.

And - unfortunately, life is going to get worse with each citizen needing to accept sacrifices as the city continues to shave services in order to preserve it for future generations. Will you be willing to accept that?

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    I don't doubt you have a stable neighborhood...but this is a macro issue. For each story like yours, there's unfortunately dozens that call for the need to revitalize and reform the inner city.
    Agreed.

And - unfortunately, life is going to get worse with each citizen needing to accept sacrifices as the city continues to shave services in order to preserve it for future generations. Will you be willing to accept that?
    I really don't see how life will get worse. Services are cut to the bone. As long as power and water get spun off and those services are still provided, what's the downside. Cops and EMS go from "not dependable" to "REALLY not dependable"? I'm not being facetious, I'm really wondering how things could get worse...most things I like and utilize are privately conferred [[the parks I attend, the places I visit). In other words, if the CoD disappeared, how would I know [[again, looking for someone to really break it down for me)?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Agreed.

I really don't see how life will get worse. Services are cut to the bone. As long as power and water get spun off and those services are still provided, what's the downside. Cops and EMS go from "not dependable" to "REALLY not dependable"? I'm not being facetious, I'm really wondering how things could get worse...most things I like and utilize are privately conferred [[the parks I attend, the places I visit). In other words, if the CoD disappeared, how would I know [[again, looking for someone to really break it down for me)?
    I think you are pretty much right. Trash service is good in the University District, so that could get worse. The bus service is already pretty bad, but it could get worse, or cease altogether I suppose. The streetlights that are still on could go out. But really, as far as I can tell there isn't all that much.

Sorry people I get crabby then rude. Apologizes rendered! Detroit is a block by block situation. I really do love my neighbors and my hood. I love my strange old eclectic house with the ghost in the attic