Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Battling Blight in the North End

http://www.freep.com/article/2013070...roit-north-end Saw this linked to on Curbed. Great to see! I hope there are pics of the work they get accomplished.

I visited the Brightmoor area last week and was amazed to see how many houses were leveled. There are even some blocks with only a few houses on the whole street. Last week one of the local tv stations had a feature on a sign on Chapel Street [[s. of Linden), a street that has been a dumper's paradise, that dumpers might get shot, or something like that. Apparently the police do not respond to calls from the residents when they call about someone leaving a dump. I would imagine if a resident did shoot a dumper, he or she would be in a world of trouble.

Looks like there will be a large effort to clean up Brightmoor on Saturday, August 10

http://www.freep.com/article/2013072...ht-elimination

We have a friend who lives in Brightmoor. His section is ok mostly post war brick ranches. Made a wrong term one time and oh my I was shocked to see the blight. Last year he invited us to a friends picnic in Brightmoor, the home was just fabulous, inside and out. On our way there we saw a lot of boarded but decorated homes. One home caught my eye, the boarded window was painted with curtains, a lamp and a cat looking out. It was clever and well done. Also saw some very well designed community gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    ... One home caught my eye, the boarded window was painted with curtains, a lamp and a cat looking out. It was clever and well done....
    That is clever. That idea should be mass produced. It leaves an atmosphere of hope in the community. Or as Senator Bernie Sanders says, "Despair is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That is clever. That idea should be mass produced. It leaves an atmosphere of hope in the community. Or as Senator Bernie Sanders says, "Despair is not an option!"
    I zeroed in on the word hope. I do see the blight etc. but I also see such amazing people and orgs. It's true "despair is not an option".

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This was tried in South Bronx during late 70's, early 80's. Didn't help. Fire storm continued.