Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Barrow Tells News, Free Press to Get Lost

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...t#.UdqwaXPD-BY

No matter which mayoral candidate you support, I think anyone would be hard pressed to say local mainstream media coverage in the Detroit area is unbiased. I used to think local media coverage [[print, in particular) was just lazy, but over the last few years it has seemed downright nefariouly slanted.

I don't blame him.

Just so I understand this correctly, Tom Barrow, a 3 time convicted fellon, and who's appeals were overturned in a Federal Appeals Court, in a pre-empted move, tells the Detroit Free press, who has no intention of backing said convicted felon, [[bank fraud, tax evasion, filing false tax returns), that he's not interested in asking for their support support. And your question is "is The Free Press biased?" Do I have this right so far?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-08-13 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Just so I understand this correctly, Tom Barrow, a 3 time convicted fellon, and who's appeals were overturned in a Federal Appeals Court, in a pre-empted move, tells the Detroit Free press, who has no intention of backing said convicted felon, [[bank fraud, tax evasion, filing false tax returns), that he's not interested in asking for their support support. And your question is "is The Free Press biased?" Do I have this right so far?
    Uhhhh...no, HT, I didnt ask a question at all. I've already drawn that conclusion based on the totality of local print media [[in particular) coverage regarding DETROIT matters over last few years. I "said" what I meant. And I meant what I "said".

What is the connection between the scumbag Barrow's press release and what you're talking about, then?

As a side note, if lack of or deficient basic reading comprehension skills is what is meant when its said that 50% of Detroiters are "functionally" illiterate, I often wonder how that differs from some posters who consistently misread and "mis-quote" other posters.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    As a side note, if lack of or deficient basic reading comprehension skills is what is meant when its said that 50% of Detroiters are "functionally" illiterate, I often wonder how that differs from some posters who consistently misread and "mis-quote" other posters.
    Maybe they don't "misread", maybe they just upset other agenda posters by catching them with their pants down. So to speak.

Amusing Mam, I once insulted a fellow forumer for misspelled words and he pointed out I misspelled a word too. Humble pie sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    You could have made your point without linking to, and giving attention to, Barrow. The fact that a felon running for mayor is not getting favorable press, as should be the case, has nothing to do with local media slant in other cases where it shouldn't be the case, which I agree can happen.

I do not think the print media in Detroit is "nefariously slanted" as you allege. In fact, other than presenting your opinion you offer nothing to prove your position;moreover, you go on attack mode when presented with a contrary opinion.

What facts do you have that the print media is biased against Mr. Barrow?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I do not think the print media in Detroit is "nefariously slanted" as you allege. In fact, other than presenting your opinion you offer nothing to prove your position;moreover, you go on attack mode when presented with a contrary opinion.

What facts do you have that the print media is biased against Mr. Barrow?
    It's right there in black and white; "He said so".

Is that the "totality of print media" part? How Mam has "concluded" all the facts and now issues an edict in which everyone must believe? Is that is part where anyone with an opposing viewpoint is immediately dismissed as "functionally illiterate"?

You guys are switching issues on mam. Not very nice!

As a close observer of Detroit media, the point that the Free Press and the News have favored Duggan from Day One seems indisputable: in news coverage, in editorials, etc. Instead of looking at the people who've gathered enough signatures and registered to run and examining the candidates, they have clearly shown disproportionate excitement about Duggan's run.

Say what you will about Barrow -- I notice y'all are all too eager to change the subject, a sign that maybe the original argument is too strong to challenge -- but the dailies have clearly been really hot on Duggan. That's the plain truth.

It is possible that all of the articles about Duggan are just because it is very newsworthy to many people. The first white mayoral candidate in decades is a big deal to a lot of people in this region so maybe they're just printing the sensational story. Barrow is certainly getting a lot of coverage because he makes a lot of noise. Just because they print stories about him obviously doesn't mean that the papers support Barrow. It draws readers. Benny is an old story. An unqualified candidate who can't balance his own budget, just like so many candidates in the past. This won't draw readers' attention IMO.

I find it interesting that Duggan has gone from being the establishment candidate -- the reputable, successful, wealthy white guy -- to being the noble underdog: the guy who took a hard knock and got back up & kept going.

It's a bizarre overnight rebranding. It disturbs me how well its working on me -- I have to consciously remind myself that three weeks ago, I was looking hard for alternatives.

I, for one, find the "local print media" far more balanced in their reporting than some of the bigots and grumpy old men on Deadline Detroit or HuffPost Detroit.

I find that Crains is the local version of the WSJ. The most respected and unbiased source. Model D and Hell Yeah Detroit would be runners up in the nonprint space. Det New and Det Free Press are more akin to the NY Times - stories of interest and journalism. Deadline/HuffPo are the local versions of the NY Post/Daily News. Lots of sensational headlines to lure readers without providing anything of substance.

They each have their place in reporting the D's news.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    I find it interesting that Duggan has gone from being the establishment candidate -- the reputable, successful, wealthy white guy -- to being the noble underdog: the guy who took a hard knock and got back up & kept going.

It's a bizarre overnight rebranding. It disturbs me how well its working on me -- I have to consciously remind myself that three weeks ago, I was looking hard for alternatives.
    I was NOT a Duggan fan or supporter. I'm still unsure whether or not he's up to the task IF elected. However, having looked @ the alternatives, he's looking like the lesser of the evils. Other then his previous associations, and the fact the man can't read a calendar, no one's positively pinned any wrong doing on him. DMC, was on it's last leg, is running today. Tom Barrow's the best thing that could have happened to Mike Duggan because Tom Barrow, unintentionally, or by design, IS keeping Mike Duggan alive and well in the limelight with his off the cuff outrageous accusations, demands, and comments. I tell friends that Tom Barrow is Mike Duggans paid Media Manager.

My favorite part from the felon's press release:
    "On their behalf, we take a stand, like Neo in The Matrix, against their system of control."

I am so impressed that so many on this forum actually read the newspapers.

I think a better question is... why is a convicted felon, especially one convicted of bank fraud, tax evasion and filing false tax returns, allowed to run for mayor AND taken seriously by even one person?

Say what you will about Barrow -- I notice y'all are all too eager to change the subject, a sign that maybe the original argument is too strong to challenge -- but the dailies have clearly been really hot on Duggan. That's the plain truth.

Do the print media favor Duggan? yes, I think they do. Is bringing up the fact that Barrow is a felon changing the subject? Hardly. is saying that mam gave an opinion without any support changing the subject? nope.

Here are the three best-known candidates:
    1) Duggan - a tangential relationship to an investigation of corruption in the Wayne county government
    2) Napoleon - administration currently under FBI investigation
    3) Barrow - convicted felon

Duggan has done a fairly good job with the DMC, at least according to people I know who work there. The FBI investigation of the Macnamera administration produced no actionable results.

Napoleon has been an OK sheriff, but not great. I have voted for him before.

Barrow?

Sorry, reading his press release made me think of him as a whiny little twit who will do nothing but blame others for his problems

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I think a better question is... why is a convicted felon, especially one convicted of bank fraud, tax evasion and filing false tax returns, allowed to run for mayor AND taken seriously by even one person?
    But it's diversionary. In rhetoric, you have to examine the argument, not the person making it. The argument is that the daily newspapers have been ejaculating themselves with excitement over Duggan's run. The press is free [[in theory) in this country because it represents the public's interest. Instead of being fair, though, it's clearly favoring one over the field. [[No, one doesn't have to defend Barrow to make this argument. Sorry.)

Detroit likes crooks in government but is being an actual felon going a bit too far?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Detroit likes crooks in government but is being an actual felon going a bit too far?
    I don't think blanket opposition to electing felons is necessarily productive. Bert Johnson is a convicted felon and I think he's a pretty decent state senator. Anyway, the way our justice system is supposed to work is that you serve your time and then you re-enter society. If we don't allow people the opportunity to do that, then the system is terribly broken.

I'm not a big fan of Barrow as a candidate, but I'm profoundly uncomfortable with the idea of permanently branding all felons as second-class citizens, especially given the exhaustively-documented race and class disparities in the justice system.

Not into Barrow but must say this issue of felony relates to voters too. Michigan is one of the states in the union that allows convicted felons to vote. Another state you cannot vote or run... nope.

I'm a Duggan supporter and will be writing his name in.

I think Tom Barrow is a garbage candidate and wouldn't vote him outhouse shit scrubber.

But he is right. What passes for media in this town is horrendous.

Duggan was annointed. He didn't have his ducks in a row. And he has to run a risky write-in campaign as pennance.

But Barrow is a two time winner in court recently. He's a rat, but rats are pretty intelligent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast