Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Downtown has thousands of interns this summer

Starting to resemble a college town which is the hope for Detroit that college students/graduates will want to gravitate to this big employment hub instead of some suburban office where at 5:00 it is time to get in the car and drive home.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Gilbert is excited by what he sees....

“There’s a massive, wildfire interest in Detroit,” Gilbert said. “Detroit sells.”

That’s impressed Title Source’s McConkey, a 21-year-old from White Lake.
    “I’m getting to know the city a lot more,” she said. “I knew things were getting better but getting to actually experience it is awesome.”

Default Detroit is catching up to other cities

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Starting to resemble a college town which is the hope for Detroit that college students/graduates will want to gravitate to this big employment hub instead of some suburban office where at 5:00 it is time to get in the car and drive home.

Gilbert is excited by what he sees....

“There’s a massive, wildfire interest in Detroit,” Gilbert said. “Detroit sells.”
    Detroit is doing what NYC and Chicago have done for years, the difference is there is only ONE major university in Detroit -- WSU. There are a couple of Minor universities, but the big research univ is in Ann Arbor. Once Detroit brings more major universities to the city, THEN you will see growth, but one won't do it.
    Also, Interns are temporary part time workers. When these kids stop working [[are they getting paid?) and start looking for work, they'll most likely leave the city, go to a big city or booming state like Minnesota, Utah, et al.

Chicago48, gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Detroit is doing what NYC and Chicago have done for years, the difference is there is only ONE major university in Detroit -- WSU. There are a couple of Minor universities, but the big research univ is in Ann Arbor. Once Detroit brings more major universities to the city, THEN you will see growth, but one won't do it.
    Also, Interns are temporary part time workers. When these kids stop working [[are they getting paid?) and start looking for work, they'll most likely leave the city, go to a big city or booming state like Minnesota, Utah, et al.
    The other issue is this: no way are there 1,100 open positions for new college hires come 2014. It may be providing a sign of things to come, but it's a sign highlighting a destination that's hundreds of miles away.

I think a healthy indicator of Detroit's resurgence in drawing in a mobile young professional is when you see MBA graduates from HBS, Wharton, Chicago Booth, Ross, etc. making the move downtown in substantial numbers. Speaking from a Ross perspective alone, Detroit trails ten+ other cities in terms of the number of graduates it takes in. For a school in its own backyard, that's pretty deplorable.
    Last edited by michimoby; July-08-13 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    The other issue is this: no way are there 1,100 open positions for new college hires come 2014. It may be providing a sign of things to come, but it's a sign highlighting a destination that's hundreds of miles away.

I think a healthy indicator of Detroit's resurgence in drawing in a mobile young professional is when you see MBA graduates from HBS, Wharton, Chicago Booth, Ross, etc. making the move downtown in substantial numbers. Speaking from a Ross perspective alone, Detroit trails ten+ other cities in terms of the number of graduates it takes in. For a school in its own backyard, that's pretty deplorable.
    I personally know two Booth alums, one Northwestern Law alum, one UVa law alum, and one Sloan alum that have moved here in the past year. Each by choice, and only one of those four a Detroit [[or Metro) native.

And tons of folks from great undergrads, too.

The problem is one of housing supply, rather than demand to move down here. Beyond those above, I know other folks that want to "return home" from NY and Chicago that can't find anything to either rent [[or buy at a price that would appraise) in any of the "7.2 square miles."

Interns are what they are, presumably short term employees.

They will be replaced by other 'presumably short term employees', but that isn't the point.

The turnover doesn't matter.

It is having a couple thousand young 'warm bodies' [[have to be careful how I phrase it) there that matters.

I think the point is that young college students can enliven an area.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Interns are what they are, presumably short term employees.

They will be replaced by other 'presumably short term employees', but that isn't the point.

The turnover doesn't matter.

It is having a couple thousand young 'warm bodies' [[have to be careful how I phrase it) there that matters.

I think the point is that young college students can enliven an area.
    Pretty much.
    This will certainly be an instant + consistent boost to vendors, restaurants and bars downtown. Which is nothing to sneeze at.

The interns would probably enliven the area more if they were paid [[or paid more than a token amount) and didn't have to pay their colleges to work for little to nothing.

I agree. Detroit needs a second major research university. Perhaps this could come about through a consortium of state universities that already have a presence in the city such as Michigan State, University of Michigan, Grand Valley State and Central Michigan.

I don't think that it really matters that the schools be located in Detroit's borders. Sure, it helps but it's not a deal breaker. Seattle and San Francisco also don't have multiples of major universities within their borders and those places attract outsiders pretty well.

The U of M is close enough to Detroit that if Detroit were an attractive urban center it would easily pulls in graduates from there. Detroit would do the same with MSU too since there isn't any other major city in the state.

ETA my own two cents: What Detroit really needs to attract are foreign immigrants. All of these yuppie magnets that Detroit desperately wants to copy were foreign immigrant magnets first.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I agree. Detroit needs a second major research university. Perhaps this could come about through a consortium of state universities that already have a presence in the city such as Michigan State, University of Michigan, Grand Valley State and Central Michigan.
    Why?

Doesn't the internship program work relatively independent of the number and location of the universities?

Isn't it the opposite of a Detroit kid doing an internship in NYC or D.C. or somewhere else?

One of my boyhood friends was an engineering student who did an internship in I believe Montana.

It would be nice for kids from outside Michigan to come to downtown and do an internship.

Lots of churches do intern programs. Many interns would like to stay.

Guess what no jobs.

Do enjoy the young folks that come through though and they do make a difference

I've noticed the influx of Detroit "summer-vacationers" over the last couple years. You can usually tell by early June at Eastern Market that there's a bunch of people you "ain't never seen before." After talking up a conversation with a few of them [[usually by a stroller or cart jam, or in line for avocados), I'm amazed at two things
    1. they look so damn young
    2. when asked the question "you're not one of those people here for summer break too are you?" they are shocked at how recognizable they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    The interns would probably enliven the area more if they were paid [[or paid more than a token amount) and didn't have to pay their colleges to work for little to nothing.
    I bet those interns are making $12 hour and above.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    I personally know two Booth alums, one Northwestern Law alum, one UVa law alum, and one Sloan alum that have moved here in the past year. Each by choice, and only one of those four a Detroit [[or Metro) native
    So you know five people with those credentials? Note that I said "substantial".

Five of the eleven tenants in my three-unit building in Brooklyn have those credentials.

Not discounting your opinion -- but I was working at a firm in Detroit where everyone had that pedigree, yet only two of the 30+ members of the firm lived in the city proper. And this was in the midst of Broderick taking reservations. I made my case very clear to my colleagues that the city was safe, I enjoyed my lifestyle, etc. etc...

The issue had nothing to do with neither supply nor demand. Matter of fact, most of them didn't even spend their weekends in Detroit, opting instead to spend time with their friends in other cities. But I'd say the momentum has [[slightly) shifted toward a greater acceptance of downtown Detroit as a place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    So you know five people with those credentials? Note that I said "substantial".

Five of the eleven tenants in my three-unit building in Brooklyn have those credentials.

Not discounting your opinion -- but I was working at a firm in Detroit where everyone had that pedigree, yet only two of the 30+ members of the firm lived in the city proper. And this was in the midst of Broderick taking reservations. I made my case very clear to my colleagues that the city was safe, I enjoyed my lifestyle, etc. etc...

The issue had nothing to do with neither supply nor demand. Matter of fact, most of them didn't even spend their weekends in Detroit, opting instead to spend time with their friends in other cities. But I'd say the momentum has [[slightly) shifted toward a greater acceptance of downtown Detroit as a place to live.
    I can't speak for the larger demographic trends, only anecdotally. The elite MBAs that I've known frequenting downtown were either automotive, on contract with a downtown employer like BCBS, or were at Deloitte and PWC, both with major offices downtown.

There's definitely a shift, as my next roommate is a PSU grad from out-of-state working for a major logistics company and doing 12-month rotations at various client-sites. Another candidate was a recent PhD candidate in higher ed down in Florida trying to get into admin at UDM or WSU. 5 years ago, those people weren't even looking downtown, they were solid Royal Oak prospects.

You are right though, Detroit isn't a magnet for the high-caliber and elite [[yet).

Ever occur that Detroit isn't interested in "your" elite?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Ever occur that Detroit isn't interested in "your" elite?
    We need to be interested in these "elites" if we're ever going to be taken seriously as a city or a modern 21st century economy. This isn't the Hamptons, they don't need to litter every block. But when UMich MBAs, MDs, Engineers, are listing Detroit as their 11th choice...we'll always be a backwards, uneducated city pining for the good old days in 1955 when a high school diploma was a ticket to a full-time job, overtime, bonus pay, and a cottage up north.

In other words, these "elites" are really the just the upper end of the new "middle class".

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    We need to be interested in these "elites" if we're ever going to be taken seriously as a city or a modern 21st century economy. This isn't the Hamptons, they don't need to litter every block. But when UMich MBAs, MDs, Engineers, are listing Detroit as their 11th choice...we'll always be a backwards, uneducated city pining for the good old days in 1955 when a high school diploma was a ticket to a full-time job, overtime, bonus pay, and a cottage up north.

In other words, these "elites" are really the just the upper end of the new "middle class".
    Interesting commentary, My kids are into the arts or straight up union. They seem to do ok for a forlorn city.

re-read that post. Anti Union was there. That is a huge part of our history, like it, don't like it.

Irrelevant, Happy they got a cottage up north.

I support our unions! Never been a member but love that people care about workers.

Let's ignore the anecdotal and focus on the data.

We had 18,000 people apply for 1,000 positions.

Let that soak in.

18,000 people know all about Detroit's ills, whether it's #1 on their list or #22 and yet still choose to apply for only 1,000 positions.

Stop with the self hate of Detroit. That's data that supports people are fighting to move here. They just need more jobs.

"I bet those interns are making $12 hour and above."

Highly doubt it. As a former intern myself, paying internships are very rare and far between and even rarer in this area. If you get that kind of money for an internship today; consider it that you've hit the lottery.

There's been a move for more than a few years now from Capitalist Pig Dogs to use interns in place of actual paying positions. Thankfully, some of these bassturds have been busted over it.

An internship is only meant for a person to lightly experience what it's like to work in that field; not be directly taking the place of an actual paid employee and having the same responsibilities.
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; July-09-13 at 08:36 AM.

BTW - - praying for the MBA's to come and save us is really a silly thing to wish for.

It would be very rare for any financial service company to get away with not paying interns. There are six criteria the Dept of Labor uses, at a minimum, to evaluate whether an intern can go unpaid. Most financial service firms would quickly fail #4 [[The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern) because they would bill out at X, while paying their intern X/20. [[i.e. immediate benefit to the P/L). It would be much more common for nonprofit/social service type places to get away with unpaid labor as they might be able to argue they can't clearly identify how the work of the intern benefits them. I dare you to publicly identify one financial service company [[e.g. public accounting firm, public law firm, financial service company) that does not pay interns for said reasons.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ships-illegal/
    Last edited by belleislerunner; July-09-13 at 08:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast