Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ghetto Gawkwers and other Nefarious Camera-Toting Tourists!

I know Detroit like the back of my hand. If you wander around and you don't know the place, you'll last maybe five minutes before you lose all your camera gear and, most likely, your life at the same time! It's worth photographing, but how much do you value your life? In Detroit, I've been shot at and stabbed, and that's when it was the good old days! The only way to shoot it is with a crew. Heck, when visiting Detroit, even murderous thugs flee in terror!

....mhm....

Say what?! Umm, goodness you must be shooting in some really rough areas -- and everyone here knows I am NOT an apologist for Detroit crime as it occurs, nope -- but 'five minutes' you're dead?------?

I shoot some photos and vids from my car if I am alone, a zoom lens helps. I also shoot with a small but powerful point-n-shoot that I can whip out fast, take the shot and keep it moving. Never any troubles.

When shooting with my larger professional camera I go with someone and don't flash camera bags and what not, you put the camera bag down inside of a nondescript tote bag. No need to scream aloud what you're doing and what equipment you're toting.

OH and BTW no one wants a camera put into their face etc. like they are a 'curious' specimen -- I leave taking photos of people I don't know to someone else.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-07-13 at 03:15 PM.

That's nice dear...

Heck, just cruise Google Street View. I've yet to get mugged doing that.

To be honest, I was paraphrasing someone else who said those things, not me. I just wanted to see what reaction I'd get from his comments.

....& quit walkin around with your faces buried in your phones texting and checking your facebook. And lose the music in your ears. Know what's going on around you, dummies!

While it has been some years now, I have taken pictures [[mostly of buildings) throughout Detroit in various areas and never had a problem. I was always with someone and respectful of people and places. Most people are friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    I know Detroit like the back of my hand. If you wander around and you don't know the place, you'll last maybe five minutes before you lose all your camera gear and, most likely, your life at the same time! It's worth photographing, but how much do you value your life? In Detroit, I've been shot at and stabbed, and that's when it was the good old days! The only way to shoot it is with a crew. Heck, when visiting Detroit, even murderous thugs flee in terror!
    Whats the intel around the 8200 Mack Ave area?

Cheers

A

Ive never had much of a problem either. Ive been snappin pics here for at least 20 years. Thieves smell fear, walk like you own the place and approach others with respect and you will probably be ok. If you sense a bad situation brewing you can always ask them if you can take their pic, that will usually throw them off and they will often be flattered and will forget about the $1000 camera around your neck in the hopes of getting their pic it the paper. Im only going by past experience.
    I stay below the Davidson mostly though.

Isnt 8200 Mack the North end of Indian Village? I remember that as not too bad. I think theres a Dominoes Pizza right there. Its no 7 Mile.

You "know" Detroit.

D ought it, You're Just some cracker trying to rile us. For the record, I be white. That's what you want. Assume all Detroit is ignorant. No grammar, no education.

Personally, I live in civil society . My neighbors greet me, in stores, gentleman open doors, I am blessed daily. Please go away troll!

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Isnt 8200 Mack the North end of Indian Village? I remember that as not too bad. I think theres a Dominoes Pizza right there. Its no 7 Mile.
    Too quote Ernie Harwell, long gone. That old bank building is now some kind of "Church of What's Happening Now". The area is still holding it's own, but it's a struggle. 8200 still looks secure and in good shape. I think partly because of it's neighbors RIGHT next door.

Looks like a solidly constructed building from the outside. It has served many purposes over the years. The interior, I hear, is pretty desolate and it also has piping problems, preventing any easy [[cheap) re-use of the building. It's solid, but not ornate. I don't think it's such a beautiful structure myself, and it kinda seems to dominate the block.

I would like to see some NEW pictures of it, in particular inside, [hint hint have posted about 8200 Mack before, genuine like it, FYI its been delisted from sale, no interest at $149k, will need to be 5 figures to sell would say

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    To be honest, I was paraphrasing someone else who said those things, not me. I just wanted to see what reaction I'd get from his comments.
    This is the dumbest/meanest post I have ever seen. Thank you for trying to put another nail into our coffin.

Apparently you are a gutless wonder. I walk my neighborhood frequently without fear.

Can only say, Troll Turd!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Heck, just cruise Google Street View. I've yet to get mugged doing that.
    Awesome comment, and you don't have to worry about bumping into other cars while taking your shots! Love it.

Talk about Ghetto Gawking - at 7 Mile and Schoenherr.

You can only gape at this - just gape:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/22859678/undefined