Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Write Mike [Write-in Campaign for Mike Duggan for Mayor]

Was amused to attend a Duggan campaign event at a local trendy bar in midtown/downtown/area 5 district. Haven't been in a bar in ages. Can't smoke [[my bad) so bars just aren't fun. Also too damned old to enjoy that scene.

I did enjoy people watching. I watched up front the politicking. No issues. Did make a point to shake Duggan's hand to remind him, it is simple folk who vote and support him. Loved the diversity of support I saw.

A write in vote is not hard and annoyed that people think Detroiters that vote don't read or write. Your bad!

Left there to go to Eastern Market. Bought two fabulous planters and got many comments on my Duggan decals and campaign badges. Also was wearing my Heidelberg dot shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Also was wearing my Heidelberg dot shirt.
    Ahhh, promoting graffiti, just what this city needs.

LOL! As a write-in, Duggan best make sure his supporters spell his name right... there's going to be some sifting after the election poll close.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    LOL! As a write-in, Duggan best make sure his supporters spell his name right... there's going to be some sifting after the election poll close.
    That's actually a fair point.

You also have to fill in the oval next to where you write in his name. It would be a disaster to get disqualified for another technicality!

Years ago I lived in Takoma Park, Maryland and there was an election with a candidate named Stephen J. Del Giudice. He was mayor, but running for another office where the incumbent had withdrawn too late for Del Giudice to get on the ballot. The campaign had pencils printed with "write in Del Giudice" and we handed them out at the polls. He won.

How did the Wayne County machine candidate become the hipster doofus candidate? Is it because he's white, or is it some kind of ironic thing to go for the dude who could bring a county to his knees, but couldn't figure out how to fill out an election registration form?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That's actually a fair point.
    No, it's not a fair point. A voter can butcher a name, so long as the voter's intent can be determined, it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by 7miledog View Post
    No, it's not a fair point. A voter can butcher a name, so long as the voter's intent can be determined, it counts.
    Even so, it may still lead to additional legal battles [[which wastes time and money), especially with Tom Barrow involved. I'm not aware of any legal precedents, but isn't the validity of a write-in vote at the discretion of the people counting the votes?
    Last edited by 313WX; July-07-13 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Even so, it may still lead to additional legal battles [[which wastes time and money), especially with Tom Barrow involved. I'm not aware of any legal precedents, but isn't the validity of a write-in vote at the discretion of the people counting the votes?
    The validity will lie with the clerks office but like 7miledog said as long as the voter's intent can be determined. So even if the name is misspelled it will be counted. If someone wrote in Joe Blow or Ann Blow then that's a different story. You know people will write Daggan, Duggans or Michael instead of Mike. This is why I feel better about this write-in vote. Plus all he has to do is finish second in a weak field.

Always happy to see such support from the burbs and else where. Ever occur to to anyone that the elections have been tainted? Not remotely far fetched.

Detroit voters are educated and enlightened. Just seems that what we want doesn't show in the results.

Absolutely, support Duggan [[Oh look, I spelled it right) Sorry 313 in case you care, that is a tuxedo exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    How did the Wayne County machine candidate become the hipster doofus candidate? Is it because he's white, or is it some kind of ironic thing to go for the dude who could bring a county to his knees, but couldn't figure out how to fill out an election registration form?
    Well let's see, who else do we have? A 3 count convicted felon turned voting registration accuracy champion. Mr. "us vs. them", I need 5 chauffers, can't attend a meeting 'cause I'm watering my lawn, what the Hell's a "budget", Obama campaign poster plagerist. Ms. "We need to spend every red cent left to repeal the EFM law and get back to business as usual in Detroit". And lastly, Ms. "There's no financil crisis, someone just didn't move the decimal point, that's all". So, pick your poison, the clown with the big red nose, or the one with squirting flower. "Forget about it Jake, this is Motown......"
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-08-13 at 07:35 AM.

That was good HT! Hillarious and so true of many having the best 'intentions' for Detroit at heart. What/ who's the "Obama campaign poster plagiarist"?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    That was good HT! Hillarious and so true of many having the best 'intentions' for Detroit at heart. What/ who's the "Obama campaign poster plagiarist"?
    Last Saturday, I was driving up Jefferson when I observed 2 men exiting a car. One had 2 metal poles in his hands, the other, a large, semi-folded, plastic banner. My eyes immediately focused on the blue color of the banner, a big white letter "B", and, [[what I thought) was the Obama 2013 Campaign logo. "WOW, Obama must be coming into town for something", I thought. On the way back, the banner was up. It was a "Benny Napoleon for Mayor" banner. It's on the corner of E. Jefferson & W. Grand Blvd., in front of the Tim Horton's. Check it out and tell me what YOU think. [[FULL DISCLOSURE: Someone else had brought this up on a different thread. I didn't pay much attention until I saw it in person).

Hey dots are cool. Lest people forget, it was tagging with a mission to underscore blight.

Will make it a point today to check out that banner. Forget which thread but someone said, if Barrow was the lone candidate, he would lose.

Hey dots are cool. Lest people forget, it was tagging with a mission to underscore blight.

Will make it a point today to check out that banner. Forget which thread but someone said, if Barrow was the lone candidate, he would lose.
    That's because of the biased media coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't see race as the major factor behind 'hipster doofus' support. In fact, the HD's would probably prefer to support a solid black candidate -- let's hope one emerges, because Detroit needs a great mayor right now.

Who is your candidate of choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ms. "We need to spend every red cent left to repeal the EFM law and get back to business as usual in Detroit".
    I'm a little confused as to when this stopped being a mainstream policy position. I seem to remember an election not too many months ago in which the majority of Michigan voters expressed a preference for repealing the EM law. You're free to disagree with her, of course, but she's not crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I'm a little confused as to when this stopped being a mainstream policy position. I seem to remember an election not too many months ago in which the majority of Michigan voters expressed a preference for repealing the EM law. You're free to disagree with her, of course, but she's not crazy.
    I don't think she's crazy, but so far with any of her supporters I've run into, that seems to be their battle cry. As noble of a cause as that might be, it's already been shot down twice, and there are limited funds to pursue this. There are also bigger issues to deal with in the City. So far, I haven't heard ANY of the candidates, including Ms. Crittendon, address them solidly.

I don't think she's crazy, but so far with any of her supporters I've run into, that seems to be their battle cry. As noble of a cause as that might be, it's already been shot down twice, and there are limited funds to pursue this. There are also bigger issues to deal with in the City. So far, I haven't heard ANY of the candidates, including Ms. Crittendon, address them solidly.
    Maybe I just like her because of this:
    Why is it that Kevyn Orr's reports do not even mention a plan to evaluate the City's continued practice of granting tax abatements, even though it can no longer afford to do so
    Or this:
    I’m running for Mayor because I’m sick and tired of people trying to blame all of the City’s problems on underpaid, overworked, City employees who are doing the best they can with the little resources they have, when resources that could help them do their jobs are continuously being sent elsewhere.
    She doesn't have the answers because nobody does, but from my perspective she's coming the closest to asking the right sorts of questions. I think it's important, especially as long as Orr is around, to have someone in office who's going to hold him accountable and look for alternatives to his ideas [[especially where his ideas involve privatizing the shit out of absolutely everything, which in Duggan's world is called "saving the DMC"). I would hope she wouldn't spend her entire time in office suing the state over and over and never doing anything else, but I think the day-to-day responsibilities of the office plus Orr's ongoing control of the purse strings would significantly constrain her ability to do that.

I dunno, I'm not 100% on her but I think she'll probably get my vote over anyone else in this field.

Pingree, but he has been dead for over 100 years

Pingree, but he has been dead for over 100 years
    Oh you hadn't heard? I just had my name legally changed to The People's Reverend Hazen Pingree IV a.k.a "The Quatro" or "IV".

Write-In "IV" for Mayor, 2013.

It is like pieces of a puzzle you just have to put them together.

Mr. Duggan is a strong supporter of the outer ring neighborhoods.

He is vocal on that.

Where would he get the funding to help these non shrinking neighborhoods?

Mr. Orr has ordered a makeover of the city grant department,the one that has been sending millions back each year,those funds were available to prevent what has happened in the first place.Laying the groundwork for rapid recovery as the city does not have the luxury of a 50 year plan,it needs to be in 5 years or less.

So a plan and a way to fund it at no cost to the city.

Build not shrink.

When we write Mike Duggan in on the ballot, what font size does it need to be? I'll have my composing stick with me to make sure, in inches and picas, that it's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    When we write Mike Duggan in on the ballot, what font size does it need to be? I'll have my composing stick with me to make sure, in inches and picas, that it's correct.
    lol you know that will be next in these grasps air from some.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast