Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Who publishes a good map of Metro Detroit?

Who publishes a good fold-out map of Metro Detroit? Something that's small enough to fold and carry around, big enough to open out and stick on the wall. Anyone make one? I'm not looking for a street directory [[book) style of map, more like a fold-out version.

AAA
    Get four maps.

Detroit-SE Michigan [[good metro)
    Detroit-Wayne County
    Oakland County
    Macomb County

Stop @ one of the larger State of MI rest areas & Welcome Centers, they'll have what I think you're looking for. The map is about half the normal size. On one side is a very good State map, on the other a fairly detailed COD map. If you want more detail then that, Rand McNally publishes maps for individual areas, with even greater detail, but I don't think they have compact ones.

The Metroparks give away a good detailed map of the metro area.

I really like the one done by Canadian map publisher MapArt. It covers the city plus most other Wayne County towns in fine, easy to read detail and excellent colour coding. $3.95 from just about any gas station in Windsor.

I meant to reply to this post earlier this morning, but I see PaulGall beat me: the Huron-Clinton Metroparks publish a map which is the best I've seen of the metro area: it includes not only Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties, but Washtenaw and Livingston from Ann Arbor and Brighton east. It shows freeways and major roads [[like mile roads), but is not cluttered with side streets. And, of course, it shows all the park locations. Best of al -- it's free! [[I got mine at the MI welcome center on I-75.) Since I'm fairly new to Detroit, but want to explore the whole area, and not just my little neighborhood, it's been a godsend.

Quote Originally Posted by CleveBill View Post
    I meant to reply to this post earlier this morning, but I see PaulGall beat me: the Huron-Clinton Metroparks publish a map which is the best I've seen of the metro area: it includes not only Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties, but Washtenaw and Livingston from Ann Arbor and Brighton east. It shows freeways and major roads [[like mile roads), but is not cluttered with side streets. And, of course, it shows all the park locations. Best of al -- it's free! [[I got mine at the MI welcome center on I-75.) Since I'm fairly new to Detroit, but want to explore the whole area, and not just my little neighborhood, it's been a godsend.
    Both you and PaulGall are correct. I just looked @ mine and Metroparks IS the map I was thinking about. I did get mine @ a State rest stop/welcome center, FREE!

I now need a large wall map for my business of Wayne Oakland and Macomb county. I can not find one in the area for sale. Google earth will not let you print a large scale map unless you buy google pro for $399.00 Anyone know where to pick one up in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    I now need a large wall map for my business of Wayne Oakland and Macomb county. I can not find one in the area for sale. Google earth will not let you print a large scale map unless you buy google pro for $399.00 Anyone know where to pick one up in the area.

Try these guys:

http://www.metrographicarts.com/cate...Maps/Michigan/

Maps have very different themes. What one person may consider an excellent map for one thing, may stink for other purposes.

One of the most complete maps I have found to fit my needs are DeLorme. However, these are atlases and do not show things such as city boundaries. They do however show much of the same stuff that USGS [[United States Geological Survey, Dept of Interior) uses.

Good luck. I have a feeling you are looking for a multi-purpose product. Maps are anything but that.

A publisher named "Metro Graphics Arts" used to have 8.5 x 11.0 booklets for sale in numerous books stores.
    The one for "Greater Detroit" was superb [[30+ pages) and included a complete index.
    I've some others for various counties. They even published and sold for some other states and cities. [[Believe I've one for Toledo).

Second AAA. If you're a member, they are free.

I'm looking for 3'X4' or bigger for on the wall for trucking and marketing some place [[brick and mortar) I can walk into and buy it or have it printed up while I wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    They may have the print option disabled, however most similar map sites offer a very large pixel TIF.file which you may download and print as you please, albeit offline.

Universal Map use to be the big supplier of hanging wall maps - the kind you'd see in trucking, delivery, and tow truck dispatching centers. I guess they were bought out some time ago:

https://www.kappamapgroup.com/p-1445...-wall-map.aspx

Staples sells rolled up, laminated wall maps of Detroit.

Does anyone have a map of downtown CBD in the early 1990's before Compuware/Campus Martius was built?

The CBD looked pretty much the same as it does now. Fort Street was converted to one way. CM was a bunch of pavement and a bear to drive thru with vehicles and pedestrians pretty much all over the place. Gratiot/State did not go all the way thru to Woodward.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; March-04-14 at 01:08 PM.

@ DetroitPlanner thanks! That is what I was trying to remember if Compuware/CM was just a large intersection and park. I vaguely remember trying to navigate thru that intersection at the age of 16, i was overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    @ DetroitPlanner thanks! That is what I was trying to remember if Compuware/CM was just a large intersection and park. I vaguely remember trying to navigate thru that intersection at the age of 16, i was overwhelmed.
    Your welcome. Yes Compuware takes up what was once known as the Kern Block. The Parking Structure/Retail Strip to the East was where Crowley's once stood. There was another street/alley that was removed on that parcel that ran roughly North/South and Crowley's was on both sides of it.

On the tangent about downtown streets being removed, here's an awesome summary of the dramatic change over time:

http://blog.datadrivendetroit.org/20...-urban-fabric/

In short, downtown is much more cut apart than it used to be, due to large developments [[Compuware, Cobo, the Lodge, etc) which removed streets. In turn, a pedestrian going from point A to B often has to travel further.

Anyways, sorry for being the second person to hijack this, but is there a map from either 1989, 1990 or from years around those two of Wayne County [[or pretty much Metro Detroit as a whole)?