Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Horrific Home Invasion on Detroit's West side

Uptick in robberies and b and e's. Here we have multiple men engaging in home invasion, robbing, duct taped and sexually assaulted women in her home in the Grandmont, Whitlock area. An area recently mentioned as a good area... by one report? ATM robbery and shooting Rosedale Pk. last week! See article and video...

Woman assaulted during west Detroit home invasion

Men break into home, assault woman, steal her TV, SUV; police searching for suspects, stolen vehicle

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/w...z/-/index.html

Horrific Home Invasion on Detroit's West side

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/video?clipId=9050546&autoStart=true

[[the week before) Detroit to expand community policing program after decline in home invasions [?]

http://www.freep.com/article/20130627/NEWS01/306270096/Detroit-community-policing-program-Grandmont
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-05-13 at 07:54 AM.

Question...not to take away from the horrific nature of the incident. This intersection isn't anywhere near what I would call Grandmont-Rosedale. Am I misunderstanding Detroit geography?

I always think of Grandmont-Rosedale as being 2-3 miles north of I-96, north of Grand River and from Southfield and westward.

This intersection is 3 miles *south* of I-96 and *east* of Southfield.

Can someone educate me on this?

Last year while my elderly parents slept, home was robbed. Fortunately they were not harmed, not even awakened.
    Last straw though. Called police. Investigation should be done, possibly someone dangerous. Daring enough to break into an occupied home. Police never came. They had the nerve to offer to take info over phone, so report could be sent to the insurance company.
    They abandoned the house, moved to a suburb.
    Last edited by ThosWolfe; July-05-13 at 07:41 AM.

Thought it was Warrendale.

I am looking into this... Fox2Detroit said Rosedale. The Channel 4 report puts this near Paul street which is too far south for Rosedale Pk. That's more towards E. Dearborn off the Southfield.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Question...not to take away from the horrific nature of the incident. This intersection isn't anywhere near what I would call Grandmont-Rosedale. Am I misunderstanding Detroit geography?

I always think of Grandmont-Rosedale as being 2-3 miles north of I-96, north of Grand River and from Southfield and westward.

This intersection is 3 miles *south* of I-96 and *east* of Southfield.

Can someone educate me on this?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-05-13 at 07:55 AM.

This is a big problem with local reporting. When you report it as Grandmont Rosedale, you're implying that the new Community Watch program failed here. Warrendale is a very different animal from G-R.

Bottom line is that these robbers and rapists are getting bolder, in various areas and overlapping from one better area from the bad one on block over etc.

I don't care what stadiums and what not go on downtown so long as you have crime like this upon innocent home owners/ renters more people WILL leave Detroit.

If they can.

Well yes. But Grandmont Rosedale is one of those neighborhoods that is very competitive with downtown living. So it's a totally different story when it's happening there.

Not sure what you mean... I am talking about the contrast of city services and safety as being distinctively different for the downtown populations and venues compared to Detroit neighborhoods [[Rosedale and other areas).

But of course I am not naive to think that crime does not occur downtown.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-05-13 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Thought it was Warrendale.
    Agree. Map on channel 4 shows this.

CTY, most of Grandmont is E of Southfield but has the same street names as those found in Warrendale. The area N of Schoolcraft and W of Southfield is known as Grandmont #2 & #3. Why so specific? I have no idea. My high school was full of kids from this area, I'd get a chuckle. When Sienfeld was on, the storylines regarding Jerry's parents and Boca Estates # 13 always gave me a chuckle due to this.

Home invasion is terrifying and is what is killing the neighborhoods. Only solution is more cops.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; July-05-13 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Not sure what you mean... I am talking about the contrast of city services and safety as being distinctively different for the downtown populations and venues compared to Detroit neighborhoods [[Rosedale and other areas).

But of course I am not naive to think that crime does not occur downtown.
    You are right about the contrast between downtown populations and Detroit neighborhoods. What I'm saying is that even among Detroit neighborhoods, there are areas with relatively low crime in comparison to others. Grandmont Rosedale is symbolic in that it's a relatively stable, beautiful neighborhood with almost no blight and crime levels that are competitive with downtown. It's still one of the remaining enclaves of sustainable middle- to upper-middle class neighborhoods in the City that has high likelihood of long-term survival.

And so when crimes like the one which occurred are reported as having taken place within Grandmont Rosedale, it has a very different meaning than when it happens in Warrendale. Obviously it shouldn't happen anywhere, and I'm not trying to take away from the importance of trying to reduce crimes.

I'm just saying that if this is happening in Grandmont-Rosedale, then it's a sign that the many efforts -- much have which been successful -- are failing. And this is a very different kind of problem, because it implies that our efforts are fruitless. In contrast, when these incidents happen in other areas, it still holds out hope that the very efforts that are working in G-R can be replicated in other neighborhoods to improve their situation. "The medicine is working...." if you will.

tl;dr - Grandmont-Rosedale is much more like Downtown than other neighborhoods, and the city services they receive there are very high. This kind of crime in that neighborhood is very different message than it is in Warrendale.

Bottom line is that these robbers and rapists are getting bolder, in various areas and overlapping from one better area from the bad one on block over etc.
    Um, not to downplay this, but where does it say these were "rapists"? The newsreporter said she was tied up, beaten over the head with something and she was also "sexually assaulted". If you're waiting in line and accidently rub up against a woman's butt or breast, that's considered sexual assault, but you're not a rapist, are you? If cops frisk you, they're not rapists either. Maybe they frisked her for her SUV keys or anything else in her pockets. If she was raped, then wouldn't the reporter say she was raped instead of "sexually assaulted"? How do you jump from A to Z?

^^^ Distinction noted and a case for argumentation beyond this situation, granted. For certain on the globe there are those ranking forms of contact as absurd and debatable as you state, 'sexual assault'. Whatever the context or instance.

I seriously doubt that ambiguity is the case here.

Channel 4 uses the word sexual assault and 'rape' [[watch the video). Fox says sexual assault. Neither of these constitute being rubbed 'up against'. I doubt the invaders engaged her at that level. She is in the hospital so the attack and assault was grievous for certain.

Sexual assault of various forms are forms of unlawful behavior, inclusive of specific penetration.

Maybe these creeps [[roaming the streets free) will just 'rub' against their next victim?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-05-13 at 09:12 AM.

^^^ Distinction note and a case for argumentation beyond this situation, granted. For certain on the globe there are those judging forms of contact as absurd and debatable as you state, 'sexual assault'. Whatever the context or instance.

I seriously doubt that ambiguity is the case here.

Channel 4 uses the word sexual assault and 'rape' [[watch the video). Fox says sexual assault. Neither of these constitute being rubbed 'up against'. I doubt the invaders engaged her at that level. She is in the hospital so the attack and assault was grievous for certain.

Sexual assault of various forms are forms of unlawful behavior, inclusive of specific penetration.

Maybe these creeps [[roaming the streets free) will just 'rub' against their next victim?
    Maybe you're right that she was raped. I don't know. But, I'm confused with both reports saying so many different things that I don't know what's true.

Fox says it was 4 men who broke in. Channel 4 says it was 3 men.

Fox says it was sexual assault and makes no mention of rape.

Fox says she was beaten over the head with an object. Chanel 4 says she was physically assaulted, but makes no mention of the object she was assaulted with. Being assaulted with an object is a different crime from being assaulted physically.

The Chanel 4 newscasters now says it's rape, but the reporter on the scene later on in the Chanel 4 clip says it was sexual assault and makes no mention of rape.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post

Fox says she was beaten over the head with an object. Chanel 4 says she was physically assaulted, but makes no mention of the object she was assaulted with. Being assaulted with an object is a different crime from being assaulted physically.
    I'm confused as to why these nitpicky, minor details are being questioned.

Other than the criminals themselves, apparently the only true witness is the victim and who knows what her mental state is, or was, when trying to give information to the police. It also depends on what officer relayed the information to the various reporters. Small details could be worded differently or even heard incorrectly. "Oh, it was four men? I thought I heard 'three' earlier by another officer."

Who cares?

Bottom line is it's just another unfortunate incident carried out by [[likely, given the neighborhood) a group of thugs looking to make a few bucks the only way they know how. Stealing by force.

It's too bad this woman unknowingly made a target of herself by keeping up a nice home and yard and by having an SUV parked in the driveway.

Yes, for certain the Channel 4 video reporter says rape. It's crazy and horrific to know you are not safe in your own home. And how these criminals are choosing their marks of prey, and do know they are. Course some will get a hot metal projectile surprise coming their way if they try it.

Grandmont's and Rosedale's official southernmost border is Schoolcraft, which is only three blocks north of Jeffries [[I-96) / W. Davison / Fullerton. While Grandmont's eastern border is Asbury Park, most of the streets east to Greenfield we identified as Grandmont because that neighborhood never really had a name to differentiate it from Grandmont.

Grandmont 1 never really got signage to indicate it was different from Rosedale Park until the early 80's. As kids and paperboys, we always wondered why they couldn't think of a more original name, but basically the area north of Schoocraft west to roughly Artesian/Warwick was known by most of us as Rosedale Park, until you got to Vetal Middle School, where there was a noticeable switchover to Brightmoor. Where the notable difference was, once you crossed Fenkell / Grand River, the snobs from North Rosedale would turn their noses up to those of us south of Grand River [[we knew better.....they had a dumpy, Brightmoorish block in the middle in the form of Stahelin, north of Puritan). North Rosedale, is bordered on the West and the North by Outer Drive, south by Grand River, and east by St. Scholastica Parish and Park on Southfield, [[east of southfield north of McNichols was a dump & now abandoned. Parts west of Outer Drive are also North Rosedale to Evergreen, save for maybe that last of block of Evergreen where it meets McNichols.

Anything south of !-96 east of southfield started feeling abandonment as far south as Herman Gardens the minute the Jeffries blocked off the Plymouth Road Exit / Entrance ramps, in about 1975, which choked off anything down to about the jog at the RR tracks at West Chicago. At Warren, 2.5 miles south of the Jeffries was / is Warrendale all the way to Paul and Ford Road, which in no way did we ever confuse with Grandmont Rosedale
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; July-06-13 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Home invasion is terrifying and is what is killing the neighborhoods. Only solution is more cops.
    I disagree the solution is more cops. Odds are that those who committed this attack have all ready been thru the criminal justice system, and have been released early. I do not care about rehabilitation of these offenders, and I don't care if they are housed in tents in the middle of a swamp, the cheaper they can be locked away the better. I don't care if their families have a hard time visiting them. I care that innocent people are their victims.

Grandmont and "Whitlock"...."Whitlock is your KEY street here. Grandmont is 6 blocks east of Southfield. Whitlock is one street SOUTH of Warren Avenue. Where are people getting Rosedale out of these streets? Welcome to my neighborhood! this is Detroit 48228....

I hear you on many levels. Visible officers afoot or patrolling can be a deterrent, but as the expression goes: "When seconds count, the police will be minutes, umm maybe hours away". Period. Renters and homeowners themselves must be vigilant to apply adequate push back at various levels with options available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smiles View Post
    I disagree the solution is more cops. Odds are that those who committed this attack have all ready been thru the criminal justice system, and have been released early....

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Maybe you're right that she was raped. I don't know. But, I'm confused with both reports saying so many different things that I don't know what's true.

The Chanel 4 newscasters now says it's rape, but the reporter on the scene later on in the Chanel 4 clip says it was sexual assault and makes no mention of rape.
    Just another sign of how the news media perpetuates stories to get ratings.

Bottom line it still in Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Just another sign of how the news media perpetuates stories to get ratings.
    So your saying it never happened? Maybe she was never hospitalized? Maybe it was just a party gone bad? That would make for a fine rosy picture of Detroit, and we could all go back to our lattes.

You misunderstood me. Not saying it never happened, I'm saying sometimes the media sensationalizes stories sometimes. Make them seem worse than they actually were.

I know of two case of home invasion, personally. Thankfully in these cases the criminals were interrupted and fled the scene. It is a harrowing experience. You never feel quite the same in your home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast