Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Favorite things about or foods from Whole Foods Detroit?

Well it's official Whole Foods is here in the D. I certainly can't afford to shop there for everything but I have found a few things I really like, such as their own brand Guacamole dip. Yum. Far better than TJoes. I found one brand of coconut milk in a carton cheaper at WF as well -- cannot recall the name.

What are some of your experiences?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-04-13 at 02:41 PM.

When did they officially open?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    When did they officially open?
    June 5th, 2013.

I believe Meijer opens sometime this month [[July 2013).

As far as Whole Foods, I stopped by there the other day as I was in the area. It's not your typical grocery store, that's for sure. You're not going to find any of the staples you normally would find in Kroger or Meijer.

I was sorely disappointed in the apples I purchased there. Never in my life have I tasted apples that mushy. If anyone has seen those denture commercials where the senior citizens bite into their apple with their dentures, THAT'S how I want my apples to be.

However, the bananas were some of the ripest I ever had. I was impressed with the baked goods as well. Those cookies are TO DIE FOR!!! Quite frankly, I would be the one to make a trip just for the baked goods.

The clientale overall was very diverse. The employees were also very friendly. Parking was a big issue though. I had to circle that parking lot several times before finding a spot.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-04-13 at 01:32 PM.

DarkestbeforedawnDetroit Guest

I walk past it everyday walking to work. I thought they did a very good job with the interior design in making it uniquelly Detroit. The windows with our street grid, the murals in the back, The old sign letters that spell ale, and the car hoods for tables and etc. The only thing I didnt like was the exterior design[[yes im one of those people) I wish it was more raw and gritty. Exposed beams, metal with petina stiuff like that, but other than that I love the store.

I've found it to be one big reunion of folks; shopping and working there. There's even a staff member there from the original Cass Corridor Food Coop and someone else from the health store in Clawson [[Zerbos?).

I have a few deli favorites. Lots of food tasting per provided samples... I purchased a 69 cent apple once but that cannot be a habit... I spend little time in their produce area as its pretty high -- I get my produce elsewhere.

From the hot buffet counter I've found the Hindu/ Indian offerings to be ok if not remarkable. The prices is good for those items as well. The Quinoa mixes in the deli are also nice and tasty.

But no I would not purchase a bottle of organic catchup or mustard there.

Who noticed the upstairs area southwest corner of the store? I looked up one day and noticed tango/ ball room dance training going on up there? A community room of sorts I understand....
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-04-13 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    And from the hot buffet counter I've found the Hindu/ Indian offerings to be ok if not remarkable. The prices is good for those items as well.
    They have a hot foods counter with Indian cuisine?

^^^ Yep, CP! You know I have a radar for that food... They do not have Nan bread but one of the of the dishes is like butter chicken, sorta curry mix stew. The other popular one is a vegan green stew with chick peas. Basmati rice, etc.

Not award winning but ok and it's $7.99 a pound, so it's a deal and that kind of food tend be be pricey. Great for a fast lunch or dinner to go... especially when they first put the items out. Yummy-yum good!

I've only been to the Detroit version once, but the Whole Foods prepared foods area is as good as it gets. It's reasonably priced for some decent food, and the salad bar [[at least the one in Ann Arbor) is the best I've been to.

Their cheese selection was pretty great, although expensive. Most things though, I thought were fairly reasonable. I even got some fruits/veggies that were cheaper than Eastern Market the same day. The produce appeared to be in very good shape. I didn't buy much there, so I can't comment on actual quality, but it looked good.

^^^ Yep, CP! You know I have a radar for that food... They do not have Nan bread but one of the of the dishes is like butter chicken, sorta curry mix stew. The other popular one is a vegan green stew with chick peas. Basmati rice, etc.

Not award winning but ok and it's $7.99 a pound, so it's a deal and that kind of food tend be be pricey. Great for a fast lunch or dinner to go... especially when they first put the items out. Yummy-yum good!
    I'll have to pencil them in on my calendar one day to visit. Probably won't be anytime soon, they're a long way from where I live.

The health care isle had a few simply made things I found reasonable. A few.

I'm going to sign up for their email blasts for specials, then I can determine when the sales are going on for something I may need.

Default Favorite thing Whole Foods

The health care isle had a few simply made things I found reasonable. A few.

I'm going to sign up for their email blasts for specials, then I can determine when the sales are going on for something I may need.
    My fave is the goat cheese/pesto Whole Foods brand pizza. My husband wants me to get some more of those.

My favorite thing? The store employs people.

Well it's official Whole Foods is here in the D. I certainly can't afford to shop there for everything but I have found a few things I really like, such as their own brand Guacamole dip. Yum. Far better than TJoes. I found one brand of coconut milk in a carton cheaper at WF as well -- cannot recall the name. What are some of your experiences?
    Better then La Colmena?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-04-13 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Better then La Colmena?
    I've never had WF guac, but the answer is no. Nothing is better than Honey Bee guac.

^^^ I still have to go to Honey Bee. Never been. Looking forward to it......

About the same. IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Better then La Colmena?

90 total as I here.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    My favorite thing? The store employs people.

My fav thing about the new whole foods is passing by it to buy local at YOBS or the honeybee, rather than sending my profits to austin tx.

/cranky

//but seriously, I like that WF's locations always have fresh ground bison for if I wanna make burgers

^^^ I have a few sliced meat options I buy at YOBS - that's not changing and YOBS have few pastry items I am addicted to as well.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-05-13 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    My fav thing about the new whole foods is passing by it to buy local at YOBS or the honeybee, rather than sending my profits to austin tx.

/cranky

//but seriously, I like that WF's locations always have fresh ground bison for if I wanna make burgers
    Then you're not 'Going After Elitism, Racism'

Honey Bee is the best. Have done a drive by of WF but didn't stop. But then I have never shopped Trader Joes either. Did try a Starbucks once, nasty stuff. Food shouldn't be elitist.

Do have a friend who lives in the DMC area who said what he has tried is great but very pricey.

I've only been in once so far, to buy bacon and eggs. Most of the bacon was pretty pricey but it was also really great bacon. The eggs actually cost less than what I normally buy at Meijer or Kroger [[free range organic).

The employees are fantastic, but I agree the parking lot is a little small. The store was very busy, which was nice to see.

Was there last week. Its super busy, like i cant effing believe how busy it is. No local berries at what is the height of berry season, berries come from Cali. Prices are high, tho better deals on some staples if you eyeball the prices. They have procuitto! That made me happy. Fish and meat prices pretty retarded ie: $24 lb for grass fed beef. Staff are sweet but not food people by any stretch. Wont be switching from honeybee anytime soon.

Well Jay, you made me laugh. I have a beef pot roast in the oven that cost $2.69 per #. Guess it wasn't massaged.

I adore food and no folks, my husband and I are slim. Mostly eat veggies, fruit and cheese. Eastern Market, Hamtramck, Busy Bee and local stores are my destination. Lots of local vendors in Drbn too.

Just seems that some people think if you pay more it must be better. Of course I do understand organic costs more but if I want worms in my produce they are free in my yard.

The opening of Whole Foods is bittersweet. On one hand it's great to see this investment in midtown and all the great products that the store offers, the people it employs, and the diversity of the customers. Ye Olde Butcher shop tho is a great store that also employs locals and is locally owned. Each time I have been inside YOBS tho after the opening of WF it has been dead. Barely anyone inside shopping. I fear it's days are numbered.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast