Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Redford Theatre re-opening after a short restoration shut-down July 12th-13th.

The Redford is set to re-open on July 12 with a weekend showing of "Mary Poppins" after a three month shut down to replace all of the balcony seats and replace all of the carpet in the theatre. This is all done with earned income from shows and rentals and donations. We are earnestly seeking funds to offset the costs of these renovations, as well as the replacement of the 85 year old fire escapes this past May. Support this most worthwhile effort to keep Detroit's last neighborhood movie theatre that is open to the public going and constantly improving.

Donations can be made at:
    http://www.redfordtheatre.com/donate/

See our schedule and other information at
    http://www.redfordtheatre.com/

Come see the theatre looking as fresh and new [[circa 1928) as it has been since 1928.

Looking forward to checking out the "new" Redford Theatre!!!

Who's playing for the opening weekend?
    Last edited by Kathleen; July-03-13 at 03:19 PM.

I just hope they cover that old fashioned stuff with some modern cheese grater adornments and make the seats more stadium-like!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I just hope they cover that old fashioned stuff with some modern cheese grater adornments and make the seats more stadium-like!
    Curtains!! DetroitPlanner... lots and lots of curtains to cover all the ornate plasterwork.... "so we won't have to look at all that old stuff anymore!!"

... lol... in the 1950s RKO Theatres especially went hog wild over covering all their theatres with curtains... But to modern restoration architects... curtains were the mosts easily reversible way to restore old theatres....

Good thing the Redford is a Kunsky then!

Hope to see many DYer's at the Redford this weekend to see the improvements!

Planning to be there Saturday evening!!

Here's the Craig Fahle interview with the Disney historian that will be on hand at this weekend's Mary Poppins experience!!
    http://wdet.org/shows/craig-fahle-sh...dford-theater/

I hope that Its a Mad Mad World will be shown at the theatre this November to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the release of that movie

A fun evening at the Redford last night!!! It was such a pleasure to see Mary Poppins on the big screen....it had been years since I last saw the movie...still love the music!!

Stasu: It doesn't look like It's A Mad, Mad World is on the schedule for this fall.
    But still a great lineup. Check it out: http://www.redfordtheatre.com/movie/

my friends went to this, and bailed out at the intermission around 10:30pm.

guess they didnt figure in the disney historian giving a talk and all of the extras that padded out the 2h:20m mary poppins to 3+ hours.

said they had a blast, and the disney guy mentioned that the disney clubs would be partnering more with the theater to show more disney films.

Marry Poppins was fun. Kids loved it!

I love The Redford. It was in my rotation of neighborhood theaters as a boy. But I have been disappointed that they don't seem to plan for anniversaries, like MAD MAD WORLD [[1963) and Lawrence of Arabia [[1962). Also, what about more silent films...what the hell is the theater organ for if not to accompany silent classics! Yes I know that Keaton and Chaplin are in the mix, but what about silent screen dramas like, The Big Parade [[Michigan premiere was at the Madison in 1925) or Napoleon [[1927). The good folks at The Redford seem to be stuck in their comfort zone as far as scheduling goes. I will continue to support this great venue but if TCM can show new 70 mm prints of various classics at theaters in L.A. and around the country, the booking person/persons at The Redford should step it up and book those revivals as well.

They are showing MMMMMWorld this season and have shown Larry in Araby in 70mm. Not sure watching 8.5 hours of Napoleon is in my wheelhouse, but rest assured, you can always rent the theater and show anything you want.

Congratulations to the wonderful Redford Theater on its grand reopening!

Check out this piece on the Redford Theatre that ran on WDIV this morning!!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/commun...o/-/index.html

And great to see our own 56packman at the theatre organ!! Nice job, John!!

"Casablanca" is a free admission showing this weekend. Nice job Old Redford!