Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Public Schools is bankrupt.

Sources from Channel 4 reported that Detroit Public Schools will file for Chapter 9 Bankruptcy protection. Emergency Financial Officer Robert Bobb have to take this drastic action to save DPS from financial ruin.

Emergency Financial Officer Robert Bobb have to take this drastic action to save DPS from financial ruin.
    Wouldn't filing chpt 9 actually be an admission that the district is financially ruined?

Retroit Guest

Makes you wonder what the school children are learning from this lesson:
    • Grown-ups are irresponsible and corrupt?
    • Get a good education so you can get a good job and live in a city that knows how to run a school system?
    • Too many administrators and too few teachers make Jamal a dumb boy?
    • The people who can not run a school system are supposed to actually provide me with an education?

LodgeDodger Guest

Bankruptcy appears to be the latest business model.

In all seriousness, we've all known DPS would have to file for bankruptcy sooner or later.

Bobb has only touched the surface of the stealing that was going on. And Bankruptcy is only a band-aid to a completely corrupt district. The school board needs to be overhauled now. The administration needs to be overhauled now. How could 270 people have been collecting paychecks illegally and someone not have known? 270, how do you not notice that 270 people were getting checks that shouldn't have been getting them. And really how long did this go on. Which leads me to believe that this is not the only area were corruption is occuring.

Which takes me to the city of Detroit, we have already heard of some of these instances, but WHAT has been done to STOP it. Nothing. Different day, same corruption. No checks and balances. No systems in place to check for errors [[corruption).
    How could Joann Watson have only paid $68.00 in property taxes for over 10 years. The tax division had to have been checking properties and values sometime in the last 10+ years. No checks and balances.
    City of Detroit will probably file for bankruptcy next. And Bing is bringing back half of the crooks that were in the Kilpatrick administration to finish stealing anything that was left.
    Sorry about the rant but I am sick of the crooks that have been running the schools and the city of Detroit.

No surprise. Handwriting has been on the wall. The City is next.
    What disturbs me is the number of Kilpatrick Cabal members that Bing is bringing into his administration. I expected experienced, professional business people. Instead, we are getting the same old hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Amazed View Post
    Bobb has only touched the surface of the stealing that was going on. And Bankruptcy is only a band-aid to a completely corrupt district. The school board needs to be overhauled now. The administration needs to be overhauled now. How could 270 people have been collecting paychecks illegally and someone not have known? 270, how do you not notice that 270 people were getting checks that shouldn't have been getting them. And really how long did this go on. Which leads me to believe that this is not the only area were corruption is occuring.

Which takes me to the city of Detroit, we have already heard of some of these instances, but WHAT has been done to STOP it. Nothing. Different day, same corruption. No checks and balances. No systems in place to check for errors [[corruption).
    How could Joann Watson have only paid $68.00 in property taxes for over 10 years. The tax division had to have been checking properties and values sometime in the last 10+ years. No checks and balances.
    City of Detroit will probably file for bankruptcy next. And Bing is bringing back half of the crooks that were in the Kilpatrick administration to finish stealing anything that was left.
    Sorry about the rant but I am sick of the crooks that have been running the schools and the city of Detroit.
    Bankruptcy is going to provide the leverage Bobb needs to deal with the DFT in a manner that won't continue to hurt the district plus gets them in the classroom on time. Unions don't like traditionally to give up negotiated gains, but in this case they may be to give some things up this contract, and the bankruptcy will be Bobbs way of making sure that happens.

The problem in Detroit is the base of competant leadership is woefully thin, so in some cases you have to use recycled talent and you let them know you will be watching so keep your hand out of the cookie jar.