Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DTE purchases Salvation Army Building and lot across from GAR

UPDATE: Restoration of Salvation Army Building on Bagley Nears Completion Read More >>

==================================================
    The Salvation Army building, despite being out of use for years, is in remarkably good shape architecturally, Berris said. She said DTE is hoping to work with private developers to transform the building into a restaurant or bar, as one early plan has it, or to turn it into a building with office space and lower-level retail.[/FONT]

"It's all on the table," she said. "We just bought the building, so now we'll figure out what to do with it."

Meanwhile, the triangular lot across from the GAR building will be turned into a park that could give employees of DTE and Mindfield Detroit, which is renovating and will be moving into the GAR building, a place to relax. Two small buildings on the site will be demolished.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...ding_on_bagley

DarkestbeforedawnDetroit Guest

Enough with these stupid little parks. We need density and complete streetwalls.

While some green space is better than an ugly parking lot... doesn't DTE have plenty of greenspace that is off limits to non-employees of DTE adjacent to their HQ tower??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    While some green space is better than an ugly parking lot... doesn't DTE have plenty of greenspace that is off limits to non-employees of DTE adjacent to their HQ tower??
    They do, but this one sounds like it could be a public spot [[they mention it being available to Mindfield as well). Though downtown Detroit is pretty park-heavy already, there isn't much [[public) green space on that side of the neighborhood, so I think it's a good thing. The SA Building is the bigger takeaway from this though, I think.

This is big. It will help make the transition between Downtown and Corktown a little more contiguous and welcoming.

What? How is DTE doing this without millions in public subsidies from the DDA?

what are streetwalls?

what are subsidies?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what are streetwalls?
    Buildings that are along the sidewalks, not setback.

That Salvation Army Building is a beautiful art deco building. It's a wonder no one has snatched it up before now. Maybe this will buy some absolution for DTE after selling out the cool block where the tea house and other buildings were to MGM. CT, those building were a better conduit to Corktown than the SA building.

I am pretty sure DTE has owned the old SA building for at least five years, today's presser does not seem genuine. I have no idea why they would make it sound like this is new news other than they don't want to be known for owning derelict buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I am pretty sure DTE has owned the old SA building for at least five years, today's presser does not seem genuine. I have no idea why they would make it sound like this is new news other than they don't want to be known for owning derelict buildings.
    I don't really feel like throwing $5-$10 at this to pull the PDFs, but you can sort of infer it from the free searches by grantee/grantor: in November, 2012 Salvation Army issued a warranty deed on 601 Bagley to Syndeco Realty Corp, which is a Michigan corporation whose address is One Energy Plaza, Detroit MI and whose registered agent is Lisa Muschong, the Corporate Secretary and Chief of Staff of DTE Energy.

So, yes, they didn't just buy it [[the deeds on those parking lots across from the GAR are dated Jan 10, 2013), but they weren't sitting on it for all that long, either; and who knows how the date on paper tracks with the actual closing date.

In other words, gnome does not know what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    I don't really feel like throwing $5-$10 at this to pull the PDFs, but you can sort of infer it from the free searches by grantee/grantor: in November, 2012 Salvation Army issued a warranty deed on 601 Bagley to Syndeco Realty Corp, which is a Michigan corporation whose address is One Energy Plaza, Detroit MI and whose registered agent is Lisa Muschong, the Corporate Secretary and Chief of Staff of DTE Energy.

So, yes, they didn't just buy it [[the deeds on those parking lots across from the GAR are dated Jan 10, 2013), but they weren't sitting on it for all that long, either; and who knows how the date on paper tracks with the actual closing date.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    That Salvation Army Building is a beautiful art deco building. It's a wonder no one has snatched it up before now. Maybe this will buy some absolution for DTE after selling out the cool block where the tea house and other buildings were to MGM. CT, those building were a better conduit to Corktown than the SA building.
    DTE Never owned the block Fionia's was on. It did however on the land N of it.

When I am wrong, I am completely wrong. GV. Excellent link and perfect research. Thank you for the correction.

Isn't green space better than a parking lot which is better than nothing?

Green space is a cheap way to improve unused land, and I quote [[emphasis mine):

"Our plan is a three-part: Stabilize the neighborhood, then improve it, and finally, transform it," she said.

If a better usage ever comes along it can be quickly developed.

I wish other lots would be improved somehow, even cheaply, rather than being eye sores.

Does DTE own the trapezoid block at Grand River/3rd/Plum?

Green would look better than dirt...

If a private corporation is buying the lot and will maintain it then what is your beef? It is currently empty. Corporations are there to make money not make thing pretty. Maybe you should go to Midland and see how ugly that looks compared to DTE property?

Believe it or not, this aerial photo is in color!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Midla...+Michigan&z=16

The point I am trying to make is that short of that ugly boxy entrance that DTE has put on the front of their building, they do maintain their property and it is not an eyesore.

More of a concern should be what will happen to the GAR once the fences come down? I am concerned because the construction fence is covered in graffiti. I would hate to see these folks pour so much money and their should into restoring something only to have some ass come by and ruin in minutes what has taken them years to restore.

I frequently visited the Detroit Salvation Army growing up in the sixties but dont know where it was. This wouldn't be the same building ?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Does DTE own the trapezoid block at Grand River/3rd/Plum?
    No, MGM Grand does.

[[that 'sale price' line item is probably not literally true; that number is probably the total paid for a large collection of property that this lot was part of.)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestbeforedawnDetroit View Post
    Enough with these stupid little parks. We need density and complete streetwalls.

Density can be accomplished with parks, street-walls are not needed if the use of the not built land is activated

and thirdly, I agree a wall of buildings with zero set back looks great, but we are building a new city not Detroit of yesteryear. is a street-wall really what we want, more buildings when half the ones we have are empty?

What we whouldnt be doing is tearing down buildings that can be used and building buildings that we already ahve that need renovation

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If a private corporation is buying the lot and will maintain it then what is your beef? It is currently empty. Corporations are there to make money not make thing pretty. Maybe you should go to Midland and see how ugly that looks compared to DTE property?

Believe it or not, this aerial photo is in color!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Midla...+Michigan&z=16

The point I am trying to make is that short of that ugly boxy entrance that DTE has put on the front of their building, they do maintain their property and it is not an eyesore.

More of a concern should be what will happen to the GAR once the fences come down? I am concerned because the construction fence is covered in graffiti. I would hate to see these folks pour so much money and their should into restoring something only to have some ass come by and ruin in minutes what has taken them years to restore.
    This is a pretty big stretch DP. The area you show in Midland is part of Dow's industrial complex, and is totally within the containment area of thier highly secured chemical complex. Of course they don't 'green it up' - it is not for walking for anyone, let alone the public. Drive around the rest of Midland and you'll find the results of decades of Dow and its heirs pouring millions into a relatively small town to make it a pretty nice place for its residents to live. See also: Dow Diamond, just off the upper left corner of your 'grey zone' aerial.

http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp...976&vkey=team1

No, MGM Grand does.

[[that 'sale price' line item is probably not literally true; that number is probably the total paid for a large collection of property that this lot was part of.)
    Okay, MGM, some green space there wouldn't cost much and would be better than what is there now...

That block looks like an orphan.

It would be nice to make that block look like other blocks around it and green space certainly goes with other adjacent blocks with green space.

Call me naive, but if that block looked like green space maybe some day it would be easier to sell.

DarkestbeforedawnDetroit Guest

I think we should build new apartment developements with or without retail on the ground floor to complete our streetwall. I know plenty of people who want to move to Detroit but dont want to live in a historically converted building. I agree that the Detroit of the past is dead and gone, now we have an opportunity to learn from our mistakes and other cities accoplishments. Cheap useless little urban parks is not needed in Detroit, downtown residences are. I think if you build it they will come[[broderick tower, merchants row)

I view development/redevelopment as each block is a piece of a puzzle.

Some blocks are critical and what happens to them are game changers, e.g., the Hudsons block, the blocks for a new arena, etc.

Some blocks are simply 'in-fill' blocks, not particularly important but say green space makes that block look a little better.

Not expensive. Not critical. but it does take one ugly block which is kind of an eye sore and improves it.

Take a list of say 50 - 100 blocks needing work [[kind of a 'to do list') and as something productive is done with them cross them off the list and move on to the remaining blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestbeforedawnDetroit View Post
    I think we should build new apartment developements with or without retail on the ground floor to complete our streetwall. I know plenty of people who want to move to Detroit but dont want to live in a historically converted building. I agree that the Detroit of the past is dead and gone, now we have an opportunity to learn from our mistakes and other cities accoplishments. Cheap useless little urban parks is not needed in Detroit, downtown residences are. I think if you build it they will come[[broderick tower, merchants row)
    the part of downtown where this is happening isnt the most desirable for new residential developments. you need things like the GAR building and potentially this new park to make it more desirable for people to develop. they want food trucks and for this park to be active, if its a success you will see people trying to capitalize on it. right now there is just a whole lot of nothing over there, no harm in putting a park in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast