Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default brush park's future with arena and M1

I posted this before either of these things were announced and now that they seem to be coming soon it has gotten me back to how to revitalize BP. This is definitely one of the most declined hoods in the city. it hasn't been "nice" since the 30's. The neighborhood peaked in 1900 and 113 years later we have only had handful of new housing built, most of the history gone by the way of the wrecking ball. is it time to give up on rejuvenation of SFH and renovation, and focus on true mixed use and mid level mark rate apartments condos with retail?

ior will we see the city let this turn to the way of the parking lot

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    I posted this before either of these things were announced and now that they seem to be coming soon it has gotten me back to how to revitalize BP. This is definitely one of the most declined hoods in the city. it hasn't been "nice" since the 30's. The neighborhood peaked in 1900 and 113 years later we have only had handful of new housing built, most of the history gone by the way of the wrecking ball. is it time to give up on rejuvenation of SFH and renovation, and focus on true mixed use and mid level mark rate apartments condos with retail?

ior will we see the city let this turn to the way of the parking lot

One of the ideas behind M1 Rail, way back before anyone called it that, was to create infrastructure to encourage infill development, and Brush Park is one of the very likely places that will happen. Downtown and midtown are pricey, and Brush Park is just a little too out of the way, but M1 with two stations - basically at the northwest and southwest corners of the neighborhood - will make it more accessible.

Now, before anyone points this out, I am well aware of the DDOT Woodward bus which goes past every few minutes most of the day. But for whatever reason, and this has been studied to death, there are a lot of people who won't ride the bus but will ride a streetcar on the same street. My guess is you're going to see a lot of WSU students, for instance, on M1 Rail who would never consider getting on the 53.

It's better as high density residential. Mixed use would be a bonus if it's needed. I'd hope if a SFH went up it would at least be of quality. But building a mansion still seems risky to people in this area, especially with all the unknowns of current projects. You'd be better with a ton of nice apartment buildings that would maybe someday go condo.

I'd still advocate for keeping what's left. I don't know how strict Detroit's zoning code is, but in cities where there's alot of stringent development guidelines in place, they have "adopt a building programs." Basically a developer must pay to rehab a nearby property not owned by that developer. By doing so, they are granted many exceptions to the zoning laws like building well above height limits or supporting uses not meant for that site.

Such policies are a great way to get difficult properties into use that don't make much economic sense to develop on their own. Plus you get to squash all the neighborhood NIMBYs and their tall building phobias!

Or, in traditional Detroit style, it could all become one big parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    It's better as high density residential. Mixed use would be a bonus if it's needed. I'd hope if a SFH went up it would at least be of quality. But building a mansion still seems risky to people in this area, especially with all the unknowns of current projects. You'd be better with a ton of nice apartment buildings that would maybe someday go condo.

I'd still advocate for keeping what's left. I don't know how strict Detroit's zoning code is, but in cities where there's alot of stringent development guidelines in place, they have "adopt a building programs." Basically a developer must pay to rehab a nearby property not owned by that developer. By doing so, they are granted many exceptions to the zoning laws like building well above height limits or supporting uses not meant for that site.

Such policies are a great way to get difficult properties into use that don't make much economic sense to develop on their own. Plus you get to squash all the neighborhood NIMBYs and their tall building phobias!
    I think mixed-use would be great for Woodward itself, mostly residential with street-corner retail further in, but that's going to be up to whoever is doing the planning for the City. My hope is that they would adopt some kind of form-code zoning, that buildings had to be built in keeping with the character of the neighborhood. I think it's possible to build nice new condos or apartment buildings that could, using modern building materials, retain the warmth and historical sense of the neighborhood.

A couple posts mentioned, somewhat cynically IMHO, parking lots. An interesting thing about fixed-guideway transit is that in order to get the maximum redevelopment benefit, one important thing is to sharply curtail parking and in particular not allow off-street lots at all. They break up the vibrancy and walkability of a transit neighborhood. We'll see if they get it right

Brush Park needs to be Downtown Detroit's urban residential neighborhood. High density is necessary but it can be done without excessive heights. A mix of 4-10 story structures would be ideal. There could be some sort of guidelines so that new structures don't overwhelm the historic ones, without sacrificing overall density. Neighborhood retail and restaurants should also be encouraged to make the area even more of a destination. With only a short walk to the heart of Downtown, Midtown and Eastern Market this is an area ripe for growth.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Brush Park needs to be Downtown Detroit's urban residential neighborhood. High density is necessary but it can be done without excessive heights. A mix of 4-10 story structures would be ideal. There could be some sort of guidelines so that new structures don't overwhelm the historic ones, without sacrificing overall density. Neighborhood retail and restaurants should also be encouraged to make the area even more of a destination. With only a short walk to the heart of Downtown, Midtown and Eastern Market this is an area ripe for growth.
    I agree. In say 10 years there should be some interesting housing development.

I see the West side of Woodward as more commercial/sports/entertainment obviously because that is what the arena will dictate.

As I've mentioned before a good place to start is the N.E. corner of Woodward/Alfred, an area of Woodward frontage which would be an eye sore for a new arena and office building.

It is ripe for some kind of say 4 story housing development which would fit with the neighboring townhomes.

New development happening in Brush Park...well renovations?

According to
    Brush Park Preservation Society, 64 Watson - The Devon Building is scheduled for demolition.

Though I can't tell if it's a full demolition or partial demolition which is supposedly what's planned. I get the feeling it's just the partial demolition.

It's the grayish building in the center here.

The plan is presumably to demolish the back half of the structure and convert the front half into 4 condos.

I actually quite like the design and it doesn't seem all the complicated. It'd be cool if more of these were built to become modern rowhomes.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pages/64-Wa...56001704452304

This can fit very well in the Brush Park district, nice design. This 276-unit residential luxury condo is located in St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    This can fit very well in the Brush Park district, nice design. This 276-unit residential luxury condo is located in St. Louis.

This is what I'd like to see built at Woodward/Alfred BUT would it be financially feasible? New construction is pretty expensive.

It would fit with the arena, townhomes, and a new office building at Woodward/Sproat.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-07-13 at 06:38 AM.

DarkestbeforedawnDetroit Guest

First things first either remodel, renovate or demolish those ATROCIOUS apartments in woodward and I75

I saw some activity at those apartments that were partially completed just south of Mack in BP. I can't recall the name of the development. There is new paint and it looks like they will be replacing the garage doors. Anyone have any info?

I had thought that construction was suppose to began this summer on Woodward for the light rail. Is the idea of having a 3 mile train another joke or pipe dream? Something has to be done to Woodward quickly. I am tearing up the suspension on my car by traveling up Woodward. Hopefully Mike Duggan will get the ball rolling when he become Mayor being that Bing, DEGC, and council are too incompetent to get the project started

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post

This would look rather obnoxious next to the small buildings in Brush Park. You can still have as high of density without it being one monstrous building. You can have a row of individual buildings instead, and at varying heights. This would yield a more dynamic urban environment rather than an imposing building that IMO seems like it is coming from a suburban mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    This would look rather obnoxious next to the small buildings in Brush Park. You can still have as high of density without it being one monstrous building. You can have a row of individual buildings instead, and at varying heights. This would yield a more dynamic urban environment rather than an imposing building that IMO seems like it is coming from a suburban mindset.
    You mean like these?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=detro...=12,56.11,,0,0

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had thought that construction was suppose to began this summer on Woodward for the light rail.
    Construction should begin late autumn. Service to start in 2015.

The Crosswinds condos are a terrible fit for Brush Park. They should not have been built along Woodward without retail in mind. Also, the ones facing the old alley's should have been built so that cars [[at least two lanes and sidewalks) could have travelled down them. The apt/condo building on Winder/Fisher Fwy. is out of place. Everything about this development is wrong. However, these were built before the Ellington or StudioOne. Hindsight is 20/20, but all residential units along Woodward should be on the order of these two residential buildings, ground floor retail and condos/apartments above. Five to six stories is enough.

With the Whole Foods store nearby and the future arena, it's also a good time to develop the southeast corner of Mack and Woodward. The Red Cross needs to build a parking structure and give up all of that surface parking along Mack and Woodward. An Ellington-type development would be ideal at that corner. Attached two or three story townhouses should be built along the side streets. None of that Crosswinds "somebody living above you or below you" crap. Even John R, Brush, and Beaubien streets could have an Ellington-type development on some of their corners. Also, rehabbing those old mansions that can be saved should be a priority. Brush Park has so much potential.