Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ferndale cops targeting Detroit drivers

So I have noticed traffic cops from Ferndale parked in Greenacres to catch speeders. So I have two questions, first is where is the dividing line between Ferndale and Detroit? Is it the median line of 8 mile, or right on the edge of Greenacres? Also is it legal to sit in another city to catch speeders in their city?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok1981 View Post
    So I have noticed traffic cops from Ferndale parked in Greenacres to catch speeders. So I have two questions, first is where is the dividing line between Ferndale and Detroit? Is it the median line of 8 mile, or right on the edge of Greenacres? Also is it legal to sit in another city to catch speeders in their city?
    I believe that law enforcement in border communities on 8 Mile have jurisdiction on both sides of the highway. Detroit cops can do traffic stops on the north side and Ferndale can do traffic stops on the south side.

It's news that Ferndale is targeting Detroit drivers? Ferndale, along with Hazel Park and Warren, have been known for years for pulling over cars traveling to/from the city and making their $$ off of Detroit drivers. Especially for DWB type "violations." I've run into this in both Ferndale and Hazel Park [[a particularly egregious example) over the years. The only difference now is that they actually seem to have started doing it IN the City of Detroit.

And how would they know someone driving on a major east/west state highway is from Detroit?

For the most part, excluding certain stretches, Oakland county's property runs over both sides of 8 Mile. Even extending over the southern sidewalk at times. I don't know if this will come through here, but the Oakland GIS shows the county line pretty clearly.

https://gis.oakgov.com/PropertyGateway/Home.mvc

Once you zoom in to 8 mile, click on "detailed" in the little box at the right to show the county line.

Wow suburban cops targeting people who are of dark skin color or driving hoopties? This is news?

One of the reasons I moved to Warrendale was the presence of Dearborn Cops in the Neighborhood along with Detroit Cops. If you're doing nothing wrong, you should have little to fear.

There's a Ferndale cop parked on the Detroit side of eastbound 8 Mile just west of Woodward nearly every morning. Guess he's waiting for eastbound drivers like me on their way to work who just happen to build up a little speed between the last light at Livernois and the next light at the old State Fairgrounds. I have no problem with cops trying to enforce the speed laws, but the idea of Ferndale cops setting up speed traps in Detroit seems kind of excessive. I've never been stopped [[so far) because I know he's out there and because I obey the speed limit anyway.

If Ferndale has enough extra cops to patrol Detroit, it seems like they have too many cops on the payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If you're doing nothing wrong, you should have little to fear.
    Ha Ha Ha Ha.

I've understood that border highways are patrolled legally by both jurisdictions. Its that obvious solution to otherwise absurd results of fighting about inches here and there.

Why would parking on the eastbound side target 'Detroit' drivers more than parking on the westbound side. Do Detroiters take some other route east?

I would think there's no statisticaly difference between the residency of drivers on north vs. south side of Eight Mile.

So if Ferndale cops wanted to 'target Detroit' drivers, they could do so just as easily from 'their' side of the road.

County line is the dotted line along the yellow toward the Detroit side. Green Acres is the neighborhood below.

Name:  county line.jpg
Views: 2220
Size:  51.8 KB

Using traffic stops for revenue, it only makes sense to want to nail outsiders, be they from Detroit or anywhere else. Pop too many people from Ferndale, and they'll start asking questions. For years, Hamtramck popped outsiders on the NB I-75 service drive, until they finally organized and got the speed limit on that drive re-evaluated. It's 40 mph now.

They are not targeting Detroit residents only. My wife's goddaughter was issued a ticket even though she was in the middle of the pack. The officer's answer when asked why she was pulled over the cop answered she looked like she could afford to pay the ticket.

Hazel Park cops give you a choice - a normal speeding ticket with points or a more expensive ticket with no points

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Ha Ha Ha Ha.
    Back in the 1950s, the city [[well, small town) of Belton, Texas annexed some vacant land to their south that included a half mile stretch of State Highway 190 which ran from Killeen to Temple. Killeen [[home of Ft Hood, the army's largest post) was dry. Temple was wet. The city of Belton kept their lone police car out on that half-mile stretch. They made their entire city budget off of soldier's fines. They never called it a DUI, it was always just "speeding" and the fine and court costs was only $16.50 so no one ever appealed.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Hazel Park cops give you a choice - a normal speeding ticket with points or a more expensive ticket with no points
    Also look out for the Hazel Park Cops who hide at the intersection of 8 Mile and John R!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Also look out for the Hazel Park Cops who hide at the intersection of 8 Mile and John R!
    RIGHT where i got my ticket

Highland Park does the same.

You can pay 110 with two points on your license [[and just completely buttfuck yourself when it comes to insurance). Or you can pay 180 for the same infraction with no points.

It's a complete racket, and borderline in a city this poor, with this much redlining and as shitty public transportation as we have.

Still I'd rather that than jump through hoops with BS excuses and beg like Livonia and Detroit makes you do.

Ferndale cops targeting Detroit drivers is a the say way as Livonia cops targeting Detroit drivers, Dearborn cops targeting Detroit drivers, Troy cops targeting Detroit drivers etc... it's their way to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Using traffic stops for revenue, it only makes sense to want to nail outsiders, be they from Detroit or anywhere else. Pop too many people from Ferndale, and they'll start asking questions. For years, Hamtramck popped outsiders on the NB I-75 service drive, until they finally organized and got the speed limit on that drive re-evaluated. It's 40 mph now.
    I remember that one! Why that service drive would be 25 is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Ferndale cops targeting Detroit drivers is a the say way as Livonia cops targeting Detroit drivers, Dearborn cops targeting Detroit drivers, Troy cops targeting Detroit drivers etc... it's their way to make money.
    Cops aren't going to make money off Detroit drivers because barely of them are insured or pay their ticket! You actually have to pay the ticket to make money.

Nobody has answered the question. How can they know where someone is from based on the direction of travel or the road they're on?

At one time, you could know based on the license plate. Certain sequences were issued by certain SOS offices. That's probably still true, but since you can get plates from any office in the state, it doesn't necessarily reflect where you live or work. As far as I know, black people with junky [[and nice) cars live in a lot of the suburbs and white people with nice [[or junky) cars live in the city.

So, unless they get behind you long enough to read your plate and run it, they have no idea where you live.

Hah! Years ago a friend negotiated such with a Ferndale officer -- who brought it up -- he opted to pay more. No problems since. I have business requiring me to go in or thru Ferndale often. No troubles. But in the burbs you just cannot get away with broken tail lights, handicap placards in the window while driving, coasting thru stop signs... this stuff is often ignored in the city but eslewhere it can cause you to be pulled over.

An even more 'fun' place is the four corners of Woodward and 696, Main street entrance. At that intersection you catch attention from the Ferndale, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak police and the Oakland County sheriff... um maybe even the State Police! Good times. I got stopped by Pleasant Ridge police mistakenly making a bad turn, thankfully the officer let me off with a warning. I've seen police hiding in those grassy mounds around there, waiting.

Sometimes they sit right on the shoulder of the Woodward 'underpass' option to catch folks speeding, sitting at the rising end of the underpass part north or south. I've seen folks catch a case like that. Speeding down the incline by the time they saw the squad car lights come on it's too late and too obvious to put on the brakes!

Last edited by Zacha341; July-01-13 at 07:15 PM.

Yes, but a really, really bad day or night if your 'paperwork' is really shady or missing like no drivers license, phoney insurance binders, no car registration, boozing, or outstanding warrant[[s) in or out that jurisdiction, drugs found in vehicle, etc, ETC.

This can garner a comfy back-seat chauffeured ride to the pokey! Usually someone will pay to get the person out, yet the car is impounded, payment needed to get it out. Or down the road car sold at auction. Sooo, there is the broader perspective to collect moneys... at many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Cops aren't going to make money off Detroit drivers because barely of them are insured or pay their ticket! You actually have to pay the ticket to make money.

I never have trouble in H. Park. as I shop often along that John R. corridor often around 12 and 13 mile... but I try to stay out of the downriver burbs, like Wyandotte, and Allen Park. Had a police officer pull me over for no reason. My paperwork was completely in order and he seemed disappointed and just gave me a lecture about my tinted windows which were not that dark but I just let him talk. Then he let me go on my way. Annoying to say the least.

I work in Dearborn which has had a decades long bad rep for pulling over black Detroiters but lately they seem far, FAR TOO busy policing their own citizens [[black, brown and white) as I've observed and from what I've been told...

Since The topic turned to speedtraps [[I think) The absolute biggest in the area is Telegraph just as you enter Redford going south. Speed limit changes to 40, they give you this bullshit 150.00 impeding traffic ticket. I've known about it for years, I slipped up last week, they got me. I consider it another tax for living in this great area.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast