Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default crime: can we get past any of this

Look, I love my city but sure would never say, no problems.

Some little thugs are scoping an 83 yr old neighbor for no doubt her C converter on an old van. My husband and other neighbors watched their brazen check out of her stuff. They also tried to check out my home too. Serious creepy.

No vigilantism here but wow... these little thugs have no right to prey on the old and weak.

Yeah it is pretty da-yumn ugly to see folks being 'marked' or have it be you Sumas. And further to know it is all soooo self 'justified'... Stay vigilant to at least let them see you in turn watch them as they do their own particular 'neighborhood' watch.

It tough but I still believe the more people in a given area or block do that, the more empowerment you can retain. Stay up... and hang in.

Zacha, you are awesome!. Yes I feel sometimes like the nosy neighbor.

What I really like about my neighborhood is we watch and care.

Guess I can put my dogs out, but my luck, they will breech the fence, then I get sued.

Of course I could call neighbors who pack. Don't want them doing jail time for acting as protectors.

It is a conundrum. Do... you're screwed, don't you're dead or a victim.

Sad!

Lest people think I lost hope.....never. Best neighbors, best neighborhood!

Hook that cc up to a 220 v line somehow.

Sumas, my neighbor behind me in Hamtramck on Carpenter is an older Jamaican lady. She tends her garden each evening when she "get" home, and on the days she 'na work' she watch de alley like a hawk. "Yi don't belong hea" "keep movin before I call da pa-lice." She has two big dogs too.

As the neighbor around the block from her, those of us on our block realize that if the four or five neighbors on Carpenter don't hold their own, then my block and the remaining neighborhood in Hamtramck south of Carpenter west of Caniff is in jeopardy. As a result, our alley is spotless, save for the bar, because the neighbors on Carpenter have nothing to look out their front doors, so they all hang out in their backyards.

Stay vigilant.

Hamtragedy, I guess to people not native or even transplants to our inter cities we might sound like a hopeless bunch. Oh well!

We share so many wonderful neighbors.

Yes of course I get pissed over petty crime. Of course as neighbors, we know the drug houses etc. That stuff is not our fault. The police are informed and do nothing.The drug houses leave us mostly alone. It is these squads that come in to steal cars, tires etc

There is no cure for crime in our cities, towns and farmlands. But we can prevent it by having security, start block clubs, provide centers for youth and fix our broken families.