Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Duggan: Write in campaign? [[email from campaign manager)

As I write this, I'm sitting in the campaign headquarters with everything all boxed up and getting ready to close the office for good. But before I do, I want to make one last try.

Maureen Stapleton, Tupac Hunter, and I continue to believe that we can win this election with a write-in campaign. If we can just finish in the top two in the primary, we're on the ballot in the fall. And the more I've learned about the write-in process, the more I'm convinced this is absolutely winnable.

After the Court of Appeals ruling, Mike indicated he didn't think there would be enough support for a write in candidacy and he didn't want to put his volunteers through one. We, and others, are prepared to try and convince him over the next couple of days to agree to a write in campaign. It would be historic and an incredible challenge, but this campaign was always going to be that anyway.

So, here's what we need from you: Feedback. Please consider whether you would support Mike just as strongly as you already have if he were a write in candidate, or if you think it's time to just move on to another candidate. All we're looking for is an honest reaction.

If you could, please reply to this email today or tomorrow with your response so we can give Mike a realistic assessment of the level of commitment of the volunteer base. If we're going to try this, it has to be right now.

Your input truly matters in this decision. Volunteers like you have been the backbone of Mike's campaign. That would be even more so the case in a write in campaign.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Bryan Barnhill, Campaign Manager
    Just received this...

History while not a 100% indicator, it's high enough to let me know a write-in campaign is a waste of time and money. The election Gods may have done Duggan a favor by not putting him on the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    History while not a 100% indicator, it's high enough to let me know a write-in campaign is a waste of time and money. The election Gods may have done Duggan a favor by not putting him on the ballot.

What is the history of write in campaigns for a former frontrunner knocked off by a technicality?

Mike who?

As someone who is very disappointed in my other options I'm seriously thinking about writing him in.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    What is the history of write in campaigns for a former frontrunner knocked off by a technicality?
    That's a fair question while not impossible to win a write-in campaign it is an uphill battle. In Duggan case he was going to have a tough battle with Benny with his name on the ballot. To write him in , don't know if he could overcome that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write-in_candidate

That's a fair question while not impossible to win a write-in campaign it is an uphill battle. In Duggan case he was going to have a tough battle with Benny with his name on the ballot. To write him in , don't know if he could overcome that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write-in_candidate
    Duggan does not need to beat Benny to get past the primary. He just needs to.come in at least second place.

Duggan does not need to beat Benny to get past the primary. He just needs to.come in at least second place.
    Question If Duggan is a write-in for the primary will he be a write-in for the general as well assuming he finishes at least second in the primary

Brilliant.

Top two vote getters in the primary face off for the mayoral spot. The race was polling with Duggan and Napoleon at about 30% each, with no one else higher than 4%. It's not unlikely that Duggan will reach that final two and be printed on the ballot.

Brilliant because [[1) optically it's a lot better to make it on the final ballot through the "will of the people" than a successful appeal and [[2) he'll be able to push a narrative along the lines of "the people wanted me so badly that they made me the first final ballot candidate in history that got on via write-in, and I can't let them down."

Question If Duggan is a write-in for the primary will he be a write-in for the general as well assuming he finishes at least second in the primary
    No - his name would appear on the general ballot along with the other person [[probably Napoleon).
    Last edited by TexasT; June-26-13 at 02:13 PM.

Give me your opinion on this article. http://www.macombdaily.com/article/2...teed-a-do-over

Give me your opinion on this article. http://www.macombdaily.com/article/2...teed-a-do-over
    Duggan would just not have appealed if that were the case. Makes more sense to be an impotent mayor and let the EM do the dirty work. When lights start getting turned back on and police response time goes down [[and Orr exits the scene), voters are more likely to equate the person in power with life being better.

That's what worries me. If Napoleon gets in now, he's neutered but the odds are high he'll be re-elected if Orr's plans work out over the next four years. Then he's free to do what he wants [[ie run over budget as he's doing now, hiring excess appointees, etc).

Just for reference, Lisa Murkowski won an election for Senate in Alaska on a write-in campaign. Alaska has just around 730,000 people - about what Detroit is at. And Alaska has some unique challenges in campaigning. And she got first in a three-way race.

Duggan just needs to get 2nd in a 15-way race, where he was polling either 1st or 2nd all spring. With a big push [[and I think his campaign has the volunteers and the cash to make it happen), the chances of getting in the top two on a ballot consisting of Benny Napoleon and a bunch of yawn-inducing candidates is probably north of 80%.

Then it's the same situation his campaign was anticipating for November: Mike vs. Benny for the title.

Duggan would just not have appealed if that were the case. Makes more sense to be an impotent mayor and let the EM do the dirty work. When lights start getting turned back on and police response time goes down [[and Orr exits the scene), voters are more likely to equate the person in power with life being better.

That's what worries me. If Napoleon gets in now, he's neutered but the odds are high he'll be re-elected if Orr's plans work out over the next four years. Then he's free to do what he wants [[ie run over budget as he's doing now, hiring excess appointees, etc).
    Watering his lawn instead of showing up for meetings.

You guys have convinced me. Other than Benny this is a weak field. Even with a write-in campaign Duggan can and should finish second in the primary. After that may the best candidate win

We plan to write him in.

my wife and I planned to write him in regardless.

The book "Arc of Justice" tells about how a KKK candidate, who had been shunned by the major parties, won a majority of the ballots cast for mayor of Detroit, I believe in the 1920s. However, he lost on a technicality because many people did not spell his name correctly. So it can be done. Duggan could avoid the spelling problem by distributing campaign materials with stickers with his name to be used in voting. Plus, Duggan voters I'm sure are better spellers than those KKK-supporting idiots.
    Last edited by Gianni; June-27-13 at 05:30 PM.

I heard on the news this morning he only needs 20,000 names to be a write in , so maybe I will write in his name what else do I have to loose ? I'd rather write him in than not vote because there is no way I'm voting for ANY of the others
    I guess there is a chance a person running will work with the state and taken serious , None of the others would work with the state and would be taken serious by the powers that be
    Last edited by Detroitdave; June-28-13 at 06:01 AM.

If you guys say we can make it happen then I am down to write in Duggan's name too. There are so many reasons I think he is the only candidate with potential to lead a Detroit turnaround. Not saying he will, these other guys though, don't even have the potential to.

Come on Duggan, write yourself in for Detroit's next Mayor. Tom Barrow and other nuts can't mess with you since you're official Detroit resident.

For far as I know. Most Detroiters don't like, Benny Napoleon, Liza Houze and Kristen Crittendon. Make history now, Duggan.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I heard on the news this morning he only needs 20,000 names to be a write in , so maybe I will write in his name what else do I have to loose ? I'd rather write him in than not vote because there is no way I'm voting for ANY of the others
    I guess there is a chance a person running will work with the state and taken serious , None of the others would work with the state and would be taken serious by the powers that be
    I don't even think he needs a particular number - he only needs to come in second. Historically, that means about 20K but depending on turnout, he may not even need that many.

I definitely think he can do it. Campaign staff can hand out cards with his name and instructions outside of the voting booths [[from the requisite distance of course) on voting day.

I am thrilled he is back in the race. He cited community leaders, residents and orgs urging him on.

Good example: I am listed as a volunteer but my husband is not. Duggans volunteer/supporter list based on just something like that takes him to 12,000 voters alone. 3 votes in my household alone.

I keep hearing Eminem in my head. Guess who's back? Back again? Duggie's back....tell a friend.

This is great news; the rest of the candidate field is a joke.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast