Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Only if you read past verse 5
    I'd recommend slowing down and reading, understanding that A leads to B, and ask yourself if there is an exclusionary clause someplace in the verses.

Typical cowards who complain about intolerance and discrimination, but do not offer the same tolerance to others who do not share their beliefs. Gang up on two individuals and then run like cowards with their tails tucked when the police arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post

Typical cowards who complain about intolerance and discrimination, but do not offer the same tolerance to others who do not share their beliefs. Gang up on two individuals and then run like cowards with their tails tucked when the police arrive.
    Being tolerant doesn't include being tolerant towards intolerance, for those incapable of logical thought.

Religion and politics all confuse me. Like I loved my neighbor, then the elected judge dissolved my marriage.

Posting because forum http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...tutional/page8
    was locked.

I am tolerant, yet I believe that same sexers shouldn't be trashing people of faith. America was founded on religious freedom...yet every opportunity the media and hateful individuals have, they blast religion. In fact, the 1st Amendment is being disputed in our Supreme Court today. It is free to give away our rights, but it takes war and death to gain them. Why not give same sex couples the same rights but call it a Civil Union or Domestic Partnership to respect ALL people of faith?

The " Noble Qur'an " opposes same sex marriage. But yet you don't see the media or special interest groups mocking the Muslim faith. That's why they pick Christians. Because they know Muslims don't screw around, and Christians turn the other cheek and are generally tolerant.

The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, stated, “There is no institution more beloved to God than the institution of marriage” [[Mustadrak, Vol. 2, Pg. 531). He also said, “Marriage is my Sunnah i.e. tradition” [[Ibn Majah) and that “When a man marries, he has fulfilled half of his religion” [[Bayhaqi). Islam views this relationship as profoundly significant, even equating it with an act of worship. When one marries, one is pleasing God.

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2012/05/5464/
    Last edited by Papasito; March-28-14 at 07:17 AM.

Posting because forum http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...tutional/page8
    was locked.

I am tolerant, yet I believe that same sexers shouldn't be trashing people of faith. America was founded on religious freedom...yet every opportunity the media and hateful individuals have, they blast religion. In fact, the 1st Amendment is being disputed in our Supreme Court today. It is free to give away our rights, but it takes war and death to gain them. Why not give same sex couples the same rights but call it a Civil Union or Domestic Partnership to respect ALL people of faith?

The " Noble Qur'an " opposes same sex marriage. But yet you don't see the media or special interest groups mocking the Muslim faith. That's why they pick Christians. Because they know Muslims don't screw around, and Christians turn the other cheek and are generally tolerant.

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2012/05/5464/
    Sure, but only when "people of faith" start trying to ban non-religious marriage. My marriage, accepted as such, had no religious underpinnings. We were married by a published atheist. I don't see anyone trying to ban what we did.

And that's not at all why people are discussing Christianity and not Islam. We are in America. Islam is not nearly as influential here.

When religion is wrong, it needs to be acknowledged.

Why not give same sex couples the same rights but call it a Civil Union or Domestic Partnership to respect ALL people of faith?

Better yet, why not give ALL couples, regardless of gender a "Civil Union" or "Domestic Partnership" and let the individual churches and religions determine "marriage" based upon their own beliefs.

No one is asking for churches to be forced to "marry" people if it's against their beliefs. The government has legally defined marriage and there are many, many laws that would have to be changed to add "civil union" and so on. Not to mention that you're still putting same sex couples into another "class" of people. Call it marriage, or call it Civil Union, call it shacking up, I don't care what, but make sure you call it the same thing for EVERYONE, regardless of gender and continue to allow the various faiths to define religious marriage within their own organization per their beliefs.
    Last edited by BillyBBrew; March-29-14 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    Better yet, why not give ALL couples, regardless of gender a "Civil Union" or "Domestic Partnership" and let the individual churches and religions determine "marriage" based upon their own beliefs.

No one is asking for churches to be forced to "marry" people if it's against their beliefs. The government has legally defined marriage and there are many, many laws that would have to be changed to add "civil union" and so on. Not to mention that you're still putting same sex couples into another "class" of people. Call it marriage, or call it Civil Union, call it shacking up, I don't care what, but make sure you call it the same thing for EVERYONE, regardless of gender and continue to allow the various faiths to define religious marriage within their own organization per their beliefs.
    The whole civil union, domestic partnership was tried.... "conservatives" fought those efforts so what resulted was a patchwork of unequal laws and conflicting systems. Michigan especially with it's constitutional ban that banned not only marriage for gays, but anything that looked like it.

The religious right and far right wing base of the republican party would brook no compromise....so here we are.

Agreed. The idea wasn't new and I don't really agree with it, but I felt it should at least be put out there, especially given that the original poster I quoted suggested that heterosexuals be allowed to "marry" and same sex couples get "civil unions", which to me, defeats the purpose of "equal" and promotes "Seperate, but equal". I don't care what you call it, but make it the same across the board. Especially since we are talking about marriage as it relates to law, not marriage as a religious ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    The whole civil union, domestic partnership was tried.... "conservatives" fought those efforts so what resulted was a patchwork of unequal laws and conflicting systems. Michigan especially with it's constitutional ban that banned not only marriage for gays, but anything that looked like it.

The religious right and far right wing base of the republican party would brook no compromise....so here we are.

Just heard about this. Pathetic.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014040...ault-Ypsilanti

The Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office said the men responsible for attacking a 28-year-old Ypsilanti Township woman who appeared on a TV news report marrying another woman could face hate-crime charges.

The men yelled slurs at the woman during Monday’s attack outside a Ypsilanti Township apartment complex; the woman was punched, kicked and knocked unconscious, police said.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I hate to be "that guy"... but doesn't that sound a bit too...I don't know..."perfect"?

I hate to be "that guy"... but doesn't that sound a bit too...I don't know..."perfect"?
    You mean you think it's a fake story? Well, someone beat her up:

She had obvious visual injuries,” Fox said. “She had injuries to her eye and around her eye. It was swollen, and she had fresh injuries on her arms and on her torso. The injuries matched exactly what she said had happened. There’s no reason for us not to believe her, and we’ll proceed with the investigation. Everything we see matches what she said.”

When I first heard about this tragedy I thought now there's an epic contrast of courage and cowardice in the very same story. Then I realized that the thug apologists would probably claim that the thugs were the courageous ones.

There are too many stories like this. We need to escape today's increasingly twisted world of violence.

that is a pretty pathetic comment. Please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    that is a pretty pathetic comment. Please elaborate.

I'm saying that it pings my bullshit detector like the chick who claimed she was held down and had a B carved in her face by Obama supporters... like the lesbian in NJ who claimed she got a anti gay rant instead of a tip by bigoted customers.... like the lesbian in Nebraska [[who also had injuries) who claimed someone came in their house and beat them....like the army vet in Livonia who claimed to have been beaten because some thugs didn't like the army

I mean it just sounded to me a bit contrived. Maybe I'm just cynical. But, these guys knew her well enough to pick her out on sight after a 5 second snippet on the news [[and they watched the news in the first place...and announced to her they saw her there), but didn't know her well enough to know she was a lesbian?

I'm gay... I watched the news and paid significant attention to what was being reported and who was interviewed... I wouldn't be able to pick any single one of them out of a line up and out of that context. Couple of "random" thugs on the corner did though?
    Last edited by bailey; April-09-14 at 11:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2