Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DOMA struck down by SCOTUS

good job this time

Great job! Now time for Michigan to get on board.

I am an Independant thinker, but this is the truth:
    It was the REPUBLICANS who screwed up by not addressing Health Care, Immigration AND Gay Marriage BECAUSE:
    It could have been addressed in a Conservative manner while Bush had the White House and Republicans had the majority. But they didn't. They kicked the can down the road and the Democrats picked it up and did things their way.

Hillary and Bill made it completely clear Health Care would be overhauled by the next Democrat president when they tried to tackle it under the Clinton administration.

On Immigration:
    I believe that there should be a pathway to citizenship for people in this country if they have a clean legal record [[no criminal record in their home country and no criminal record in the US), BUT the border needs to be fully secured. Not due to racism or hate against brown people, but because of national security.
    Did you know people of question from the Middle East and Chechnya have come into the states over the US Southern Border? Many of these people came over with backpacks and supplies and are nowhere to be found.
    We can not have gaping open holes in our borders. No sovereign country should.

On Health Care:
    Everyone pays a tax, everyone has care. Like Canada.
    Obamacare is a mess, no one understands it, it will cost people who have an income MORE for health care under Obamacare then it did before it was passed. Too much fine print, too much to understand.
    I could not afford health care for me and my kids before Obamacare was passed, and I STILL can't afford health care for me and my kids because the premiums have gone up significantly over what they were before.
    Me = working class single parent with 2 kids = can not afford Health Care after the "Affordable Health Care" act was passed.
    It didn't help.

On Gay Marriage:
    Should have been "separate but equal".
    Give same sex couples the exact same rights as heterosexual couples but don't call it "Marriage", call it "Civil Union" or "Domestic Partnership".
    The Christians and the Muslims would get to keep their holy term "Marriage" intact, and same sex couples get the rights they wanted.

-----------------------------

Next time Republicans want to kick the can down the road when they have power...
    or the next time Democrats want to kick the can down the road when they do...
    they give the opportunity for the other side to make the move and do it their way.

Lesson learned, Righties!

Last edited by Papasito; June-26-13 at 02:52 PM.

Not fair! A marriage is defined a union between a man and a woman. It's says in a dictionary and in the Holy Bible. So does this mean that a marriage is defined between same sex couples. That definition of marriage in the dictionary may to have to change. However the definition of marriage in the Holy Bible will not change.

My marriage has absolutely nothing to do with the Holy Bible, so who cares?

It was a good decision, especially as it was based on the fifth amendment, instead of expanding federal power by allowing it to define what marriage is.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Not fair! A marriage is defined a union between a man and a woman. It's says in a dictionary and in the Holy Bible. So does this mean that a marriage is defined between same sex couples. That definition of marriage in the dictionary may to have to change. However the definition of marriage in the Holy Bible will not change.
    Marriage in the Bible has been described as between a man and numerous women, a man and a captured enemy woman, a man and his rape victim...

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Marriage in the Bible has been described as between a man and numerous women, a man and a captured enemy woman, a man and his rape victim...
    I guess it depends on which part of the Bible you read.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I guess it depends on which part of the Bible you read.
    Show me anywhere that marriage is strictly defined as one man and one woman

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of MARRIAGE

a [[1) : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law [[2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage>
    b : the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock
    c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage

: an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status iseffected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities

: an intimate or close union <the marriage of painting and poetry — J. T. Shawcross>

Haters are gonna hate.....

Danny, Too late. The meaning of the word "marriage" has already been changed. In this sixty year old dictionary, there isn't much wiggle room to interpret marriage as being between to same sex partners. In rb's more current dictionary, same sex marriage meets the definition. This may have something to do why there is a generational divide on this issue. We are speaking different languages.

From The American College Dictionary 1953:

Definition of MARRIAGE

the legal union of a man and a woman for life; state or condition of being married; the legal relations of spouses to each other; wedlock

the formal declaration or contract by which act a man and a woman join in wedlock.

any intimate union.
    Last edited by oladub; June-27-13 at 10:03 PM.

Marriage in the Bible has been described as between a man and [[insert Rb's random anti Christian insult here) ... a woman
    Don't forget that the Muslim faith has a strong value of marriage to be between a man and a woman as well. The difference between Christians and Muslims is when Christian principles are attacked they bark & turn the other cheek, and when Muslim principles are attacked they fight back.
    Last edited by Papasito; June-28-13 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    Don't forget that the Muslim faith has a strong value of marriage to be between a man and a woman as well. The difference between Christians and Muslims is when Christian principles are attacked they bark & turn the other cheek, and when Muslim principles are attacked they fight back.
    What's your point?

Just to keep things interesting, here's a list of the democratic congress-critters who voted *for* DOMA, that are still in office [[we can assume every republican voted for it)

Special mention to Bill Clinton, who tweeted that he was "grateful to all who fought tirelessly for this day," even though he signed it into law as president.

Senators:
    Baucus, Max [[Mont.)
    Biden, Joe [[Del.) [[Now Vice President)
    Harkin, Tom [[Iowa)
    Leahy, Patrick [[Vt.)
    Levin, Carl [[Mich.)
    Mikulski, Barbara [[Md.)
    Murray, Patty [[Wash.)
    Reid, Harry [[Nev.)
    Rockefeller, Jay [[W. Va.)

House of Reps:

Hilliard, Earl [[Ala.)
    Pastor, Ed [[Ariz.)
    DeLauro, Rosa [[Conn.)
    Brown, Corrine [[Fla.)
    Bishop, Sanford [[Fla.)
    Rush, Bobby [[Ill.)
    Durbin, Richard [[Ill.) [[now senator)
    Visclosky, Peter [[Ill.)
    Neal, Richard [[Mass.)
    Cardin, Benjamin [[Md.) [[now senator)
    Hoyer, Steny [[Md.)
    Cummings, Elijah [[Md.)
    Levin, Sander [[Mich.)
    Dingell, John [[Mich.)
    Peterson, Collin [[Minn.)
    Andrews, Rob [[N.J.)
    Menéndez, Bob [[N.J.) [[now senator)
    Schumer, Charles [[N.Y.) [[now senator)
    Lowey, Nita [[N.Y.)
    Kaptur, Marcy [[Ohio)
    Blumenauer, Earl [[Ore.)
    Doyle, Mike [[Penn.)
    Reed, John [[R.I.) [[now senator)
    Clyburn, Jim [[S.C.)
    Johnson, Tim [[S.D.) [[now senator)
    Hall, Ralph [[Texas)
    Doggett, Lloyd [[Texas)
    Green, Gene [[Texas)
    Johnson, Eddie [[Texas)
    Rahall, Nick [[W. Va.)

Show me anywhere that marriage is strictly defined as one man and one woman
    That's not what I was saying, but since you asked Matthew 19:1-5. I was just saying there's more than one definition in the Bible based on your uncited post.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    That's not what I was saying, but since you asked Matthew 19:1-5. I was just saying there's more than one definition in the Bible based on your uncited post.
    Funny that the section on divorce is cited.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Great job! Now time for Michigan to get on board.
    People forget that this will open up a can of words legally and has negative financial impacts.

However, I suggest that same-sex roommates apply for each other health benefits, life insurance, and tax benefits.

As tight as things are getting I can see that happening. Damn the opinions or morals some will argue, a benefit access door open like that will be walked thru...

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    People forget that this will open up a can of words legally and has negative financial impacts.

However, I suggest that same-sex roommates apply for each other health benefits, life insurance, and tax benefits.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-29-13 at 07:51 AM.

Bringing religion and politics into the same discussion is a dangerous thing . The bible is the #1 best selling book of all time in the '' fiction '' category . Now the Constitution is real which carries guarantee's for all , and as I understand that includes people who are gay .

Here's some examples of politicians making decisions based on faith:
    Republican congressman Paul Broun dismisses evolution and other theories
    Member of House science committee says evolution, Big Bang theory and embryology are 'lies straight from the pit of hell'
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...volution-video

Brian Sims, Pennsylvania Lawmaker, Silenced On DOMA By Colleagues Citing 'God's Law'
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...comm_ref=false

I want the Government to make decisions based on our Constitution not based on a bible or their beliefs [[which is not representitive by all who elected them )

most churches preach '' love they neighbor '' type of stuff but then go on and persecute others ... love thy neighbor except ....... < fill in the blanks

^^^^ Yep, I hear you, hypocrisy you may find in a given church regarding a specific scripture or set of scriptures exists on the globe. Understood. However, hypocrisy is not a failing exclusive to the 'bible' folk.

I'll add to that my concern re. some over-reaching decisions and laws in the extreme in obeisance to and belief in the faith of secularism! We're going to see some problems and unpredictable outcomes there too.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-29-13 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post

Can anyone think of an economic benefit to slavery? Equal rights only when it's affordable?

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Can anyone think of an economic benefit to slavery? Equal rights only when it's affordable?
    sure - more wealth for the slave owners. Same benefit as cutting employee wages to the minimum or creating a corporate feudal state.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Funny that the section on divorce is cited.
    Only if you read past verse 5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast