Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Dearborn

Default Dearborn

The statue of Orville Hubbard has been removed from the front lawn of city hall! The new administration wants to move away from Dearborns past as an unwelcoming antagonistic exclusive city. My new girlfriend, a Dearborn resident and reporter for her fathers local newspaper is Lebanese American and considers the city a throwback to the 50's in some of the attitudes and morals of the Muslim community. Her parents are moderate Muslims [[Nancy is an Atheist) and listening to her stories of her and others in her generation rebelling against the rigidity of their parents reminds me of women in my aunts generation challenging the conformity of my grandparents. She jokingly refers to the women who cover their whole bodies as ninjas. The city, overall seems to be full of up to code houses and businesses. Hookah joints and restarurants selling 'Halal' meat dot the landscape. Green Brain comics and Stormy records are two unique businesses that I frequent when I visit Dearborn. Shared a Hookah at Java Cafe with my girl,was kind of cool. Theyre similiar to bongs. This morning she brought me some unique bread and meat sandwhiches considered 'village food'. Dont know the name of the bakery off hand, but it was delicious and filling. Did Dearborn have an Italian enclave at one time? Seems there used to be some Italian markets and a few Italian restaurants some years back. There is a historical museum and an Arab heritage museum on the corner of Schaefer and Michigan Ave which features live performances of musicians and dancers from different regions of the world. Ever been there?

The statue of Orville Hubbard is gone? Interesting... do you know what the city did with it?

Im not sure Evelyn. My girl has said it has been gone awhile. He was a devisive figurehead, There is a book about his legacy, cant remember the name of the book.

You're thinking of "Orvie: the Dictator of Dearborn." Bought it a while back, never got around to reading it.

http://www.amazon.com/Orvie-Dictator.../dp/0814322891

From what I've read, the man was an awful racist. Was also a little weirded out that his stature was in front of City Hall. Good for Dearborn for mothballing it.

thanks. It is a must read for local history buffs

Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn View Post
    From what I've read, the man was an awful racist. Was also a little weirded out that his stature was in front of City Hall.
    "Orville Hubbard was quite a man. Believe it or not, he was a person I admired. He and I disagreed on some things, but he was a hell of a mayor. I regarded him as one of the best mayors in the United States. ... He took care of business. He knew how to meet the needs of his people."
    - Coleman A. Young

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orville...d#cite_note-17

The Statue of Orville Hubbard is gone! YAY clap, clap, clap! Good riddance to that racist clown. Now let's get rid of the street sign at the Fairlane area and replace it with a famous Muslim Dearborn citizen.
    Last edited by Danny; July-09-09 at 03:32 PM.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    "Orville Hubbard was quite a man. Believe it or not, he was a person I admired. He and I disagreed on some things, but he was a hell of a mayor. I regarded him as one of the best mayors in the United States. ... He took care of business. He knew how to meet the needs of his people."
    - Coleman A. Young

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orville...d#cite_note-17
    I'm glad Coleman liked him, but it in no way precludes the fact that Orville was, indeed, a horrible racist. The defense of "he took care of business" is a lot like the old "he got the trains to run on time" defenses of the likes of other despots and dictators like Hitler and Stalin. lol I'm not at all surprised Young had kind words for Hubbard.

Most always, a despot's lust for continued power is even more important to them than any ideology they may hold. In that regard, the two were very much a like save for the fact that I think Hubbard was far more a true believer and ideologue, and Young far more practical [[less dogmatic), willing to change his mind at the drop of a dime if it meant staying in power.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; July-09-09 at 10:36 PM.

You will find that many Middle-Easterners are now skipping the Dearborn chapter and settling in places such as Sterling Heights and Tro.

Patrick,
    Many Middle-easterners are still within the Dearborn Chapter. Dearborn is like the promise land to them "Little Mecca". They are there to stay and grow. Doesn't matter how this nation is in a recession. Their mom and pop business still growing thriving and filled with loyal customers. The Middle-eastern communities are explanding with new retail and bigger homes.

The statue was actually moved toward the back of city hall. There are some very clean-fun looking parks in Dearborn. I passed by a park that had a swimming pool.

Dearborn has small and large parks, the larger ones ALL have pools.

Seems every neighborhood has a larger park within a comfortable biking distance, and smaller parks within walking distance from pretty much every house in the city. I'd have to check a map, but I'd bet it right now.

Even the smaller parks used to have full-court basketball, too, but many got abused by non-residents and shut down...which was a shame. That was back in the seventies...many took it as a racist statement then, but perhaps they never saw the bent rims and torn nets...or were shut out from playing because of a crowd.

Even so, it might've been my first time learning that a few bad apples can ruin it for everyone...because MOST of those playing weren't destructive.

Dearborn has the most convenient Amtrak station if you are going there in your car and want to park it until you get back:: lots of free and relatively secure parking, right next to their police station.

I used to go to Dearborn alot when I played little league baseball almost 30 yrs ago. I had to say their fields were in much better shape then any other of the cities we played in.My Mom used to drag me to EastBorn to go shopping because it reminded her and my Grandma of the way they used to shop.Dearborn to me is as interesting as Detroit.

Orville was a force to be reckoned with in his day. He kept Dearborn clean and thriving, making it one of the jewels of the area. Dearborn was THE place to live prior to the coming of age of West Bloomfield and Birmingham.

The separation of the east and west ends was remarkable though. It was always like they were two different cities in two different times. The east end was kind of the forgotten cousin from the wrong side of the tracks.

Did Dearborn have an Italian enclave at one time? Seems there used to be some Italian markets and a few Italian restaurants some years back.
    I don't know what the concentration of Italians was, but there was a great bakery called Roma Bakery at Schaefer & Paul.
    Last edited by Meddle; July-25-09 at 12:14 AM.

I too had always heard and more lately about the East Dearborn Itailians.I miss the old Paisanos on the northeast corner of Ford/Schaefer.Watching the pizza spin around.

There were a few local Italian restaurants, too. Liberati's and Amato's.

Amato's was run by a St. Al's family, but they were further from the school...so most of our dates in early high school were to Liberati's.

Roma was an amazing bakery, every day after football practise in grade school we would stop there for a couple of pepperoni rolls, a slice or two of pizza, and a 64-oz bottle of soda! Had to keep the caloric intake up!

I got my first taste of Italian generosity through one of my 'alternate moms', Mrs. Bagozzi [[RIP)...whose son went on to NASA.

The Italian community was quite strong in East Dearborn. They got the city to install bocci courts at Hemlock park...the nearest large park with a pool.

[[I laughed when I learned that Socrates was killed by hemlock...one of the earliest recognized incongruencies of my young life...let the kids play in a park named after a poison...)

Cheers

Roma Bakery !!
    Absolutely the best pepperoni rolls on the planet....
    Sad to see it sold off.
    However, Capri bakery on Greenfield are the heirs to the recipes and do a respectable job of honoring the Roma menu.
    Roma used to hand out coupons with each pepperoni roll sold. Collect ten for a free roll. We used to play cards for them.
    Alcamos Italian grocery is also is still operating in Dearborn on Schaefer. A long standing Dearborn Italian institution.

I remember Roma Bakery. 25 cent peperoni rolls and 35 cents for a piece of pizza that was as big as the paper plate it came on. Roma had a heaver Italian bread for their peperoni rolls. Capri's are good, I still stop by there for lunch every now and then. Does anyone remember the old men playing bocci on Chase Road next to the Dearborn Pizzeria? I worked for the Parks and Recreation Department of Dearborn while I was in high school. Coaching and umpiring baseball. Great job for a kid. Orville used to send me a birthday card every year.

Capri Bakery had some good pepperoni rolls. My Mom used to pick them up for me. There are a few pizza places that I have yet to explore in Dearborn. Such as Liberaltis among others.But I myself do belive that Dearborn has the best looking High School with Fordson at least from what I have seen.Alot of good looking schools in Detroit But Fordson sticks out in my mind.

It amazes me how stuff pops into my head. I think I saw people playing Bocci Ball for the first time at Hemlock Park. As my Archie Bunker father would put it " A bunch of old Dagos playing with their balls." didn't get it till later. Dearborn to me had the best parks as a kid better playground equiptment, ETC.

Default Italians in Dearborn

My grandfather, Quirino Ceccarelli, built homes in East Dearborn before working at Ford. He lived on Reuter not too far from Hemlock Park. Swimming in the summer and ice skating in the winter. Watching out for the trains on the track. And an incased slide that NEVER smelled good. But, as a kid, I loved hanging out there with my cousin. It was a very Italian neighborhood at the time with all the neighbors on the block either being related by blood or through their heritage.

Vegetables were always growing in the yard...a large fig tree...grape vines...an incredible house...character and love in that neighborhood. I miss it.

My first record was bought at Peaches' on Schaefer by my little grandpa. And, I always loved going to Alcamos. I no longer live close enough to go on a regular basis, but when I am in the area, I will stop at New Yasmeen Bakery and Alcamos in the same trip. Yes, things have changed and I miss the Italian influence.

There was another great pizza place, back in the day, I think
    it may have been on Greenfield, Cundari's

Come to think of it as I got older the encased slides and the center tower that you climbed up in didn't smell too good. I found out why.As for the Peaches I remember my cousin being all excited that Peaches were opening in Dearborn. She had that Peaches crate any thought it was the coolest.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    Dearborn has the most convenient Amtrak station if you are going there in your car and want to park it until you get back:: lots of free and relatively secure parking, right next to their police station.
    The police won't ticket or tow your car if you leave it overnight in the Amtrak lot? during wintertime I remember picking someone up once and seeing cars that had been snowbound, clearly left overnight, or even several days..