Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

^^^ Not good times - that's for sure. Again we are a 'captive' audience in someones personal drama.

Quote Originally Posted by neavling View Post
    Michigan’s age of consent is 16. Under state law, however, it is a third-degree felony for school volunteers to engage in sexual penetration with a student under 18 if the volunteer status was used to gain access to, or to establish a relationship with, the other person.
    Isn't jumping from an unproven allegation to a discussion of "sexual penetration" quite the leap?

The young man and Pugh both have said nothing sexual occurred between them, and those close to Pugh said the mere hint of something untoward between him and a student has devastated the councilman and former TV broadcast journalist… Some criminal defense lawyers have questioned why she went to lawyers and the media before going to police.

“Everybody acts like we did something wrong,” the mother said. “Everybody is worried about Mr. Pugh and not us, and not my son. ... I’m getting all this harassment” about seeking a cash settlement.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130701/NEWS05/307010078/

Particularly when this guy's representing the supposedly aggrieved mother?

With many years of valuable experience working as an accomplished lawyer, Ivan Land should be your first choice when you are in need of expert legal guidance and representation from a Real Estate Attorney and Eviction Lawyer in Oak Park, MI or surrounding areas.

land-law.glfsites.com

Pugh is a disgrace. Aside from complicity in badly governing the city, he is refusing to deal with his responsibilities or face the allegations against him. He flees out of town and makes up a vague "medical" excuse. Gives all of us gays a bad name.

so next week city council is supposed to appoint a remaining councilperson as the new President and Pro Tem? I wonder who it will be..

Jenkins. I am quite sure.

I actually feel sorry for him. He has done a complete mental breakdown. The accusations seem lame. Lousy council person, sure! I doubt he will give gays a bad name, he is one lone individual.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I actually feel sorry for him. He has done a complete mental breakdown. The accusations seem lame. Lousy council person, sure! I doubt he will give gays a bad name, he is one lone individual.

I have a feeling that more than a few people will think, we elected a gay councilman [[who became pres, no less) and he was incompetent, awol, and at least accused of inappropriate behavior with a teenager. Note to everyone: don't put yourself in a position to be accused of bad behavior. If you are a teacher, coach, mentor, etc, do everything in plain sight, with another person present, door open, etc. Then no one can credibly accuse you. A high school teacher friend of mine [[teaches in the 'burbs) will NOT tutor a single student, only if there is more than one; or else he does it in the library with other people around.

Seems a shame that everyone needs to protect their backs. We do community outreach to kids and I make darn sure their folks know and have others around.

Most intelligent people judge on content, not bedroom habits. We have many friends of different sexual persuasions. Good people are good people. Simple as that!

Quote Originally Posted by bopcity View Post

The young man and Pugh both have said nothing sexual occurred between them, and those close to Pugh said the mere hint of something untoward between him and a student has devastated the councilman and former TV broadcast journalist… Some criminal defense lawyers have questioned why she went to lawyers and the media before going to police.

“Everybody acts like we did something wrong,” the mother said. “Everybody is worried about Mr. Pugh and not us, and not my son. ... I’m getting all this harassment” about seeking a cash settlement.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130701/NEWS05/307010078/
    Well, maybe you should have gone to the cops first instead of a lawyer if all you wanted was to "protect" your son?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well, maybe you should have gone to the cops first instead of a lawyer if all you wanted was to "protect" your son?
    How do you know she didn't? How do you know she wasn't told "There's really nothing we can do about it"? She went to the school administration, and they blew her off.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    How do you know she didn't? How do you know she wasn't told "There's really nothing we can do about it"? She went to the school administration, and they blew her off.
    ... maybe it's because there was no crime committed? Maybe because they have bullshit detectors calibrated to weed out the frivolous? maybe they could see there was nothing here to prosecute? maybe Mom has a pattern of less than stable behavior? maybe because Mom told them she'd handle it herself? or maybe she was just as vague with them as she has been with the police?

Fact of the matter is the LAST people she contacted were the Police and, according to the article, her complaint is so vague the MHPD has no idea if a crime can be alleged or prosecuted and she and her son are barely cooperating with the investigation.

My guess? The kid is gay, mom can't deal and wants to blame someone for making him gay.

Buying a kid a cell phone, clothes and hotel room is not criminal. She, her son and Pugh all state that nothing sexual happened. No sexual touching no crime. Her 18 yr old son can either abide by her rules or leave the house.... neither get to sue the guy who bought him the forbidden cell phone.

Pugh is a dumbass for buying the stuff for the kid and how he's handled the allegations... but unless or until mom or Jr. come out and say Pugh put his hands on Jr [[or vice versa) this is nothing more than a money grab.

She could also drop the demand for any monetary damages if she is feeling harassed about the civil suit. Again, if its all about "her son", then I'm sure she'd just want to see appropriate remedial measures enacted to ensure mentors are monitored more? Perhaps some counseling for her son? But no... that's not going to get Mr. Land his 1/3.
    Last edited by bailey; July-08-13 at 10:52 AM.

... maybe it's because there was no crime committed? Maybe because they have bullshit detectors calibrated to weed out the frivolous? maybe they could see there was nothing here to prosecute? maybe Mom has a pattern of less than stable behavior? maybe because Mom told them she'd handle it herself? or maybe she was just as vague with them as she has been with the police?

Fact of the matter is the LAST people she contacted were the Police and, according to the article, her complaint is so vague the MHPD has no idea if a crime can be alleged or prosecuted and she and her son are barely cooperating with the investigation.

My guess? The kid is gay, mom can't deal and wants to blame someone for making him gay.

Buying a kid a cell phone, clothes and hotel room is not criminal. She, her son and Pugh all state that nothing sexual happened. No sexual touching no crime. Her 18 yr old son can either abide by her rules or leave the house.... neither get to sue the guy who bought him the forbidden cell phone.

Pugh is a dumbass for buying the stuff for the kid and how he's handled the allegations... but unless or until mom or Jr. come out and say Pugh put his hands on Jr [[or vice versa) this is nothing more than a money grab.

She could also drop the demand for any monetary damages if she is feeling harassed about the civil suit. Again, if its all about "her son", then I'm sure she'd just want to see appropriate remedial measures enacted to ensure mentors are monitored more? Perhaps some counseling for her son? But no... that's not going to get Mr. Land his 1/3.
    Maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe..... My guess, your guess, anybody's guess. What does PU have to say about all this? PLEASE don't go to the media, then crickets.......

I understand the teen just turned 18 but nothing conclusive. That would have made him 17 over the entire school year [[August 12-June 13). Not defending Pugh but why were not the police contacted or the school?

Pugh's response is goofy too... if he had any measure of deniability this would be about his attorneys talking to the teens family attorney... to make out a deal.

Pugh would be at work letting them duke it out. Giving the standard 'no comment' statement to the media. His reaction speaks volumes....

Maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe..... My guess, your guess, anybody's guess. What does PU have to say about all this? PLEASE don't go to the media, then crickets.......
    I agree that he's made this an issue by his incredibly stupid handling of the allegations. I would only counter that a gay man being accused of ANYTHING remotely related to inappropriate behavior with young men in a mentor capacity at an all boys school is never going to recover from it regardless of the outcome.

He could be completely vindicated and the kid, the mother, and their pastor could stand in-front of CAYMAC and personally apologize to all 700k Detroiters for bringing false claims... the only thing anyone will remember a year from now is Pugh was caught up in some scandal about his behavior with highschool boys. He surely is unemployable locally... and likely nationally in any media market even remotely close to Detroit.

I think he recognized that and just surrendered. OR he had an sexual affair with the kid. It's one or the other. However, Mom's police complaint seems to be that there was no sexual contact, just "inappropriate" contact. "inappropriate" does not equal "criminal" contact.

I'm struggling to understand [[as are apparently; the police, the press and various lawyers asked to comment on the allegations) what she thinks is her injury here that justifies her lawsuit ...and belated criminal complaint. Some guy gave your kid some stuff you'd rather he not have. Ok...so take the evil cellphone away from him, ground him for lying about it, and tell the guy to stay away from your kid. Problem solved.
    OR
    actually allege the criminal conduct you've been hinting at. [[I think she's been counselled on what defamation is and thus we have no allegation of criminality because her son is not backing that up.)
    Last edited by bailey; July-08-13 at 02:42 PM.

I agree that he's made this an issue by his incredibly stupid handling of the allegations. I would only counter that a gay man being accused of ANYTHING remotely related to inappropriate behavior with young men in a mentor capacity at an all boys school is never going to recover from it regardless of the outcome.

He could be completely vindicated and the kid, the mother, and their pastor could stand in-front of CAYMAC and personally apologize to all 700k Detroiters for bringing false claims... the only thing anyone will remember a year from now is Pugh was caught up in some scandal about his behavior with highschool boys. He surely is unemployable locally... and likely nationally in any media market even remotely close to Detroit.

I think he recognized that and just surrendered. OR he had an sexual affair with the kid. It's one or the other. However, Mom's police complaint seems to be that there was no sexual contact, just "inappropriate" contact. "inappropriate" does not equal "criminal" contact.

I'm struggling to understand [[as are apparently; the police, the press and various lawyers asked to comment on the allegations) what she thinks is her injury here that justifies her lawsuit ...and belated criminal complaint. Some guy gave your kid some stuff you'd rather he not have. Ok...so take the evil cellphone away from him, ground him for lying about it, and tell the guy to stay away from your kid. Problem solved.
    OR
    actually allege the criminal conduct you've been hinting at. [[I think she's been counselled on what defamation is and thus we have no allegation of criminality because her son is not backing that up.)
    Bailey, we're in total agreement. If you back track this string to it's first days, you'll see I never accused him of anything. [[Ok, one smart-assed comment about "I guess he really is sick"). I also TOTALLY understand PU needing to "escape" and catch his breath before responding. This isn't 1963, people are more accepting of gays these days, [[though NOT everyone), and Mr. PU isn't doing himself, or the Gay Community any favors by responding the way he is. YES! Unless Mom & attorney have something a little more concrete as far as impropriety, she's got nothing. On the other hand whether or not it's an "evil" cellphone, Mom DID NOT want her son having it, and Mr. PU is a mentor, not the kid's parent or step parent. He should respect the parent's wishes and not encourage the kid to lie to his parent. Maybe Mr. PU ought to be counseled on the meaning of the word "mentor" and it's limitations?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I have a feeling that more than a few people will think, we elected a gay councilman [[who became pres, no less) and he was incompetent, awol, and at least accused of inappropriate behavior with a teenager.
    Or, like me, some people may think, we elected another celebrity rather than someone qualified for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Or, like me, some people may think, we elected another celebrity rather than someone qualified for the job.
    Perhaps because for some voters it's easier to say "oh yeah she sang for Motown, he played for the Pistons, and he did the news, rather than taking time to learn about all the candidates before voting.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Perhaps because for some voters it's easier to say "oh yeah she sang for Motown, he played for the Pistons, and he did the news, rather than taking time to learn about all the candidates before voting.
    "Perhaps"? It's a prerequisite for running for office in Detroit!

Madison Heights police have agreed to delay an interview with an 18-year-old who alleges Charles Pugh had inappropriate contact with him in late May.

The request came from the family. Attorney William Seikaly said the teen's mother is concerned for her son's psychological and emotional well-being.

Seikaly said it is in the teen's "best interest to suspend both the civil and criminal investigations in this matter while he receives treatment to address the impact of what has occurred."The attorney added that there is "reason to believe that there are more victims in the community, as well as adults who are aware of what Mr. Pugh has engaged in."

Seikaly said it is hoped that those persons would come forward.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/22...#ixzz2YYbCGAAL
    So the 2nd..3rd? lawyer hired by mom on the case asks for the MHPD to suspend an investigation and instead asks for "others" to come forward? I would not be surprised if the "treatment" being sought is of the "pray the gay away" variety.

From the MHPD:
    The Madison Heights Police Department has not received, nor do we have knowledge of, any additional complaints against Charles Pugh. We thank you for your patience and request that you honor the families request to not be contacted.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/22...#ixzz2YYbphfKY
    My guess is; either she got her check [[unlikely as by going about it in the manner she did, she killed the golden goose...Pugh is toxic and likely long term unemployed)..or the 3rd set of attorneys knocked some sense into her head and explained to her Pugh has nothing to do with her son being gay.
    Last edited by bailey; July-09-13 at 09:10 AM.

"Perhaps"? It's a prerequisite for running for office in Detroit!
    I wasn't going to come right out and say that but yeah, you're right!!

Hopefully he comes back soon! Charlie LeDuff had more fun things about him last night. The Detroit politicians are endless comedy and entertainment. The gift that keeps giving.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6