Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Pugh tries to take four week medical leave; Orr says get to work or resign

The issue of Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh’s ongoing absence from the job for unknown reasons came up at the council’s meeting this morning.

“Where is the president?” Councilman Ken Cockrel Jr. asked his colleagues this morning, noting that Pugh has missed two formal sessions in a row of the full council. The council is considering whether to drastically alter its structure, in part, due to Pugh’s ongoing, unexplained absences. A resolution that would shake up the structure of its five subcommittees was introduced at today’s meeting.

But after this morning’s meeting Council President Pro Tem Gary Brown, who presided over the meeting, said that he received a memo from Pugh’s office today indicating that Pugh is taking a four-week sick leave. Brown said he saw Pugh last week and he did not have an appearance of being ill.
    Shorty after the announcement the emergency manager's office denied the request for leave and said Pugh has until 5 p.m. Wednesday to either return to work to fulfill his duties or resign from City Council.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013062...l-Charles-Pugh

While I feel for Pugh if he truly has a medical emergency [[doubtful), we the public have a right to know what's going on [[until he resigns the he can do whatever he wants). He just went MIA on us.
    Last edited by TexasT; June-25-13 at 03:41 PM.

He knows he's out, he knows his time is limited, he knows he won't get paid for it unless he takes off on medical [[paid) leave...that's why he's MIA. He's milking the already dry cow for whatever he can get from Detroit.

Is there a provision in Detroit city oridnances that says how many unexcused absences a councilperson can have before they're called on the carpet? I know we only meet every two weeks, but in the little town I'm a councilman in, 3 unexcused absences in a row could lead to your losing your seat.

Nice to see some adult behavior. If the council itself acted like Orr, we wouldn't need Orr. Welcome adults!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post

http://www.freep.com/article/2013062...l-Charles-Pugh

While I feel for Pugh if he truly has a medical emergency [[doubtful), we the public have a right to know what's going on [[until he resigns the he can do whatever he wants). He just went MIA on us.
    Why not the same pubic smack down by Orr and the same level of public outcry when Kenyatta went missing for months?

Pugh is the President of the Council. He is a member of every one of the Committees that moves items to the Council agenda. I guess hard to do any business without him.
    Also, like the monarch that he is on his own mind, not realizing that his status has been considerably changed, he majestically announced his leave in a memo to Orr- and he should have requested it or at least entered into a discussion with the emergency manager as to the timeliness of such a leave.
    I'm with the person above who thinks Pugh is trying to grab his sick-time bank before he goes.
    Kenyatta has a documented illness I believe and maybe he did get a notice from Orr - how would we know?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Why not the same pubic smack down by Orr and the same level of public outcry when Kenyatta went missing for months?
    Kenyatta was actuallu ill and didn't go radio silent for weeks without telling anyone where he was.

maybe hes hiking the appalachian mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by wesley mouch View Post
    nice to see some adult behavior. If the council itself acted like orr, we wouldn't need orr. Welcome adults!
    perfectly stated.

Kenyatta was actuallu ill and didn't go radio silent for weeks without telling anyone where he was.
    Exactly. Rumor is he is fighting cancer, in which case he may have actually needed the time off. [[The EM thing may have lessened his desire to persevere though.)

One question I have. With the sudden rash of defections [[we may be soon down a full third) does the city council continue on with empty seats, or would there be some form of appointments of interim council members?

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    One question I have. With the sudden rash of defections [[we may be soon down a full third) does the city council continue on with empty seats, or would there be some form of appointments of interim council members?
    I vote for the empty seats. We really only need about 5 council people. Also it would be even better if they were part-timers

Blow up the council and start over. All we ever get from them is drama anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Under the new City Charter, City Council vacancies are supposed to be filled by appointment through a 2/3 vote of the remaining councilmembers.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; June-26-13 at 12:50 AM.

Wait..what? isnt radio silent EXACTLY what kenaytta did?

After months away from the City Council table, member Kwame Kenyatta is expected to formally quit his post on Friday.

Kenyatta didn’t give a specific reason to WWJ-AM [[950), which first reported the decision Wednesday, but he says the council is virtually powerless now that Detroit is being run by an emergency manager.
    The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2XJv708gv
    I guess if there wasnt an EM...kenyatta would still be on medical leave and collecting that paycheck?

I guess if there wasnt an EM...kenyatta would still be on medical leave and collecting that paycheck?

As others pointed out, his illness was documented. Here we have councilmembers asking where Pugh is. Nobody had heard from him after missing two meetings. This is just BS.

Now at some point, yes Kenyatta neded to step down once it was clear he couldnt continue.

Glad the EM is here to inject common sense.

Perhaps Orr did tell Kenyatta "Time to fish or cut bait." possibly Orr didn't publicize that conversation and Kenyatta didn't either.
    Wondering if you are worried that Pugh is being singled out. Or are you worried that Orr is being haphazard in his management? Whu even worry about it?

I wish Pugh the best, but if you can't show up, you should resign.

The cash strapped Pugh doesn't want to give up his pay, car, car insurance, and other perks.

I'm not defending anyone with the comment below. I'm just providing facts where I know them to be true. I'm not familiar enough to speak on the validity of Kenyatta's medical condition, however, I know he did not go "radio silent".

I watched Council meetings [[when they were still being broadcast) where members referenced receiving memos from him regarding him going on extended leave; members discussed speaking with him personally about issues being deliberated at the table and sharing his view on his behalf; members referenced Kenyatta saying he watched [[broadcasted or streamed) meetings; memos to departments were still submitted from him regarding matters under the Council's consideration, etc.

Kenyatta remained in contact & informed his colleagues of his absence. According to the media, that does not seem to be the case with Council President Pugh. Gary Brown [[in a question & answer video posted on the Freep website) said Pugh missed TWO consecutive formal sessions [[where they actually vote to officially approve items under consideration) without explanation. Brown said he had not heard from Pugh until receiving the note from his staff AFTER yesterday's formal session. Considering Brown is still President Pro Tem [[until his resignation is official Friday), that is highly inappropriate & unusual if true.

I'm not sure what's going on there but I'm sure it will all come out in the wash.

Here comes the replacements!

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Perhaps Orr did tell Kenyatta "Time to fish or cut bait." possibly Orr didn't publicize that conversation and Kenyatta didn't either.
    Wondering if you are worried that Pugh is being singled out. Or are you worried that Orr is being haphazard in his management? Whu even worry about it?
    Just really curious as to why the apparent lack of consistency. Kenyatta may have informed his colleagues, but he sure seems to not have informed his constituency as apparently no one here or not a council staffer knows what the illness is. Public figures not showing up for months either a) need to disclose WHAT is keeping them from their duty or b) resign. Now, Clearly Pugh hasn't disclosed to anyone but the EM. Just wondering if Pugh has disclosed whatever the health issue was/is privately, he'd be granted the months of leave that Kenyatta was afforded?

And frankly... if Kenyattas "illness" didn't stop him from writing his book and doing his signings and launch parties for it...it shouldn't have stopped him from attending meetings.

I wish Pugh the best, but if you can't show up, you should resign.

The cash strapped Pugh doesn't want to give up his pay, car, car insurance, and other perks.
    Agree on both accounts and for both medical issues, just saying that the same should have gone for Kenyatta at week 2 not at week 16.
    Last edited by bailey; June-26-13 at 09:18 AM.

What I find so refreshing about all of this is Orr didn't just wrist slap him, or give him 5 weeks to sort it all out. He said Decide Now!...... I can get down with that kind of no-nonsense leadership.

If we had other items of importance pushed into decision like this, we might just start to resemble a functioning, healthy city. Just maybe.

This pimp-slapping by Orr is more indicative of his growing confidence in his powers than anything else. If Pugh swallows hard and shuffles back to his student council seat it will seal a chapter in Orr's clout.

It could backfire too. What if Pugh shows up with a doctor's excuse recommending absence due to stress? Or, now that the spotlight is on him, we could have the Principal vs. class clown scenario where he complies with all the attendance rules but engages in theatrical protest actions like, say, proposing an ordinance banning chewing gum.

Pugh likes the spotlight and he is extremely articulate. Orr might have been better to 'let sleeping dogs lie' rather than create a distraction and a powerful enemy.

Orr says he does not have the authority to allow medical leave, so Pugh has to fish or cut bait. It's not that he won't allow Pugh to take medical leave.
    From the freep.com
    But Orr refused to accept the memo because the emergency manager cannot under state law grant elected officials a leave of absence, and because there is no provision in the city charter that speaks to a leave of absence for elected officials.

"Pugh likes the spotlight and he is extremely articulate. Orr might have been better to 'let sleeping dogs lie' rather than create a distraction and a powerful enemy."

So, what you are saying is that Orr should just let Pugh continue with his theatrics, drain the city for more money, stay on the payroll, incorporate this absurd 2 month, paid vacation into his sick time. All the while, city employees salaries have been cut to the marrow, healthcare benefits are being cut; retirees are worrying themselves sick about where their pensions are headed and this creep is allowed to suck the life blood out of an already drained city, I certainly would hope that Orr takes the high road and gets rid of Pugh, permanently. Someone needs to take the helm in Detroit and whether we like it or not, it's Orr.

I am worried that because of council rules and charters, the City may be stupid enough to hold an emergency election to replace Kenyatta and Pugh and Brown, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in the process. That would be typical. One more thing, I would hope that Orr would eliminate this "paid 2 month vacation" that the council members will be taking soon...WTH???

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast