Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default LaVan Hawkins Detroit's Cheesecake Bistro folds-

It mentions that BOTH owners denied involvement. If both owners want no part of the business or accountability then why should anyone want to support them?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...its-cheesecake

pretty close to astoria bakery.

you gotta be pretty bull-headed to open a competing shop next to an established place like that.

LaVan just totally didn't understand the changes that have come over downtown dining over the last five years. High-end places are closing down and being replaced with casual dining. Unless this was all just a big tax writeoff or something.

I think the whole idea of the restaurant was just cheesy [[no pun intended). I personally think fine dining can easily succeed in Detroit but LaVan Hawkins' horrible reputation has unfortunately proceeded him, same as his Chicago business partner. Both of them have practically been run out of Chicago long ago. I assume their thoughts were "Detroit needs us."
    WRONG!!

Not many well to do people are willing to support two well know shady characters. Especially when high-priced food is involved. I highly doubt they're requiring the highest quality of seafood etc.

At this point I don't think LaVan could make it in Anchorage Alaska. His negative reputation has proceeded him anywhere he goes by now.
    Last edited by illwill; June-25-13 at 01:15 PM.

How is the new Greek restaurant, Santorini Estiatorio doing? I wanted to try it when I was in town in Feb. but it looked empty and I like a little atmosphere. Anybody been there lately?

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I think the whole idea of the restaurant was just cheesy [[no pun intended). I personally think fine dining can easily succeed in Detroit but LaVan Hawkins' horrible reputation has unfortunately proceeded him, same as his Chicago business partner. Both of them have practically been run out of Chicago long ago. I assume their thoughts were Detroit needs them. WRONG!!

Not many well to do people are willing to support two well know shady characters. Especially when high-priced food is involved. I highly doubt they're requiring the highest quality of seafood etc.

At this point I don't think LaVan could make it in Anchorage Alaska. His negative reputation has proceeded him anywhere he goes by now.
    It sounds like this is not his first failed restaurant? How does an entrepreneur continue to find funding with such a tainted resume? For most people, one failed business is about the extent of what banks/investors will allow in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    How is the new Greek restaurant, Santorini Estiatorio doing? I wanted to try it when I was in town in Feb. but it looked empty and I like a little atmosphere. Anybody been there lately?
    My wife and I celebrated our anniversary there couple of weeks ago. My wife has had great experience with the place in the past, but they were off their game the night of our dinner.

I am confident you could have a different experience.

on the subject of Mr. Hawkins and his failed re-entry to the Detroit dining scene: good. That guy reflects poorly on our community. Glad to see him gone.

I as given a surprise birthday dinner there a few months back, had a wonderful time.

bizarre. I wish stuff like this didn't happen. detroit needs diverse dining options.

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

As I remember from his commercials on WGPR, LeVan Hawkins used to own a bunch of Burger Kings and KFCs back in the eighties, all in the city. For whatever reason, all of them closed by the late eighties. He took his business to Maryland, was convicted of tax fraud, spent time in the joint, [[not much), then reappeared here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    As I remember from his commercials on WGPR, LeVan Hawkins used to own a bunch of Burger Kings and KFCs back in the eighties, all in the city. For whatever reason, all of them closed by the late eighties. He took his business to Maryland, was convicted of tax fraud, spent time in the joint, [[not much), then reappeared here.
    I well remember those Burger Kings. They were crappy and dirty, even by 1980s Detroit fast-food standards.

Yep. He owned several Pizza Hut locations around here in the late 1990s, many of which are also shuttered now.

A BK, McDonald, etc Mgr works ' up 'to owning a franchise. This guy insults that system. BK was desperate to increase minority franchise ownership.

He eventually owned a hundred or so BKs. Didn't pay rents or for the food /supplies. Counter sued BK when they 'foreclosed' . They ' promised ' him more than 200 stores. He couldn't make a profit with less stores. ???

Then he was given rights to several Pizza Hut franchises. This time he got behind on repaying sales taxes and payroll taxes collected. State Michigan padlocked those restaurants.

hmmmm. . .I remember LeVan Hawkins Burger Kings and Pizza Hut locations more into the 90's. As far as Burger Kings and commercials on Channel 62 WGPR, might you all be referring to Brady Keys, of "Keys Group Burger King" notoriety?

I could certainly be wrong, cause I was little kid at the time those commercials aired, but I remember them very well.

I just passed by it. A sign in the window said it would re-open, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CMooreBMoore View Post
    hmmmm. . .I remember LeVan Hawkins Burger Kings and Pizza Hut locations more into the 90's. As far as Burger Kings and commercials on Channel 62 WGPR, might you all be referring to Brady Keys, of "Keys Group Burger King" notoriety?

I could certainly be wrong, cause I was little kid at the time those commercials aired, but I remember them very well.
    You're right, it was K.E.Y.S group in the 80's, they even had a show on WGPR with puppets

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    You're right, it was K.E.Y.S group in the 80's, they even had a show on WGPR with puppets
    You mean below?

http://www.keyskids.net/

Screw them! They were planning for FAILURE! just like Van Hawkins.

BTW, The K.E.Y.S. group also owned KFC locations.

In fact, Brady Keys was the first African American to own a Kentucky Fried Chicken [[the KFC on Mt. Elliot and Gratiot was his first location I believe).