Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dumb Ass Traffic Control at Vernor and E Grand blvd

Went to see the fireworks. Felt like a millionaire, Sat in our church parking lot with two of our dogs, got good views ,decent noise.

Try to go home, easy right?

Wrong!

Took Gratiot to Vernor, drive up Vernor, sat at Vernor and E Grand blvd for over 1/2 hour while they waved traffic off Belle Isle. Finally get to move but... oh no, they blocked Vernor. I am like half a block away from home.

Thanks to our boys in blue it took me a little over an hour to get home. I live 3 minutes from Belle Isle and 5 from my church. Could like, maybe we have their bosses tested for an IQ over imbecile?

Ask me if I am annoyed. Already left a message with community relations, This whole situation was on beyond dumb!
    Last edited by sumas; June-24-13 at 10:56 PM.

It happens everywhere. Couple years ago I went to the Mt Clemens fireworks, and it took me two hours to get home to Roseville. 1 hour 50 of those minutes were getting out of the city.

My favorite is Eastern Market on Flower weekend. They change street access etc. I am pretty much retired as a landscaper. Always avoid that weekend if I can, the cops so fuck it up it isn't funny. One year I couldn't avoid it, big job.

I know the market, drove back streets, alleys, parking lots to get to where I needed to be to get my order. Cops were baffled how I got there. Oh well.

Blame all your woes on the DPD, it's easy, right? They are damned if they do, damned if they don't. What do you want anyway...thousands of people on Belle Isle, thousands of people downtown, tell me you could have done a better job. 60 minutes sitting in a car, sorry for the inconvenience!

If you're so close to everything why didn't you just walk? I can't imagine sitting in traffic for an hour half a block from my house. Park the car, walk home, and come back for it in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Went to see the fireworks. Felt like a millionaire, Sat in our church parking lot with two of our dogs, got good views ,decent noise.

Try to go home, easy right?

Wrong!

Took Gratiot to Vernor, drive up Vernor, sat at Vernor and E Grand blvd for over 1/2 hour while they waved traffic off Belle Isle. Finally get to move but... oh no, they blocked Vernor. I am like half a block away from home.

Thanks to our boys in blue it took me a little over an hour to get home. I live 3 minutes from Belle Isle and 5 from my church. Could like, maybe we have their bosses tested for an IQ over imbecile?

Ask me if I am annoyed. Already left a message with community relations, This whole situation was on beyond dumb!
    Sumas, no offense, but 3 minutes away? Why didn't you just hoof it?

I thought it was normal for officers to give the right away to the heavier traffic, sort of like how it's normal for drivers to give long funeral processions the right away.

They were trying to get the hundreds of thousands of people off Belle Isle as fast as possible. Just by sheer volume, the traffic on Grand Blvd.E. was prioritized over the traffic on Vernor.

Did the cops handle everything perfectly? Probably not, but I don't see why that should make them imbeciles.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-25-13 at 10:33 AM.

And yeah, I don't think leaving your car alone in the middle of traffic in the middle of a street like Vernor is a good idea.

Be sure you don't go to the Metro Beach fireworks. Unless you leave before they are over, you'll be sitting in a non-moving line for 1.5 hours. We only STARTED moving after they finally stopped the traffic on Jefferson instead of trying to rotate the traffic.

In all of the experiences of cops directing traffic it's not them fucking things up, it's the idiot drivers who get there and stop like a deer in headlights wondering what they should do. You'd be amazed at how few morons it takes to disrupt everything.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Was this at Sweetest Heart of Mary?

best advice when leaving a big event is to just wait around for an hour or two at your car, then drive off without waiting in line and wasting gas.

someone gave me this great advice and i'm passing it along.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    best advice when leaving a big event is to just wait around for an hour or two at your car, then drive off without waiting in line and wasting gas.

someone gave me this great advice and i'm passing it along.
    yep, I wait and relax. Why stress when kicking back gets you the same results?

Too bad there weren't streetcars to pile into.

I didn't mind the hold up at Vernor and the Blvd. Just thought blocking Vernor, an egress street, was quite insane.

As for hoofing it, would love to, but one problem. My husband uses a walker.

The church is St John St Luke, now called Old St John's. Russel south of Gratiot. Really did have decent views and noise. Private parking and just us, our dogs, two lawn chairs and a cooler. Oh a niece did come later. Her son got some great shots of the works.

This worked out great for two old crips.

I didn't suggest this location to others cause had no clue as to views. It wasn't the riverfront, but then no strange stampedes either.

If there is any interest, I'll invite Dyers down to join us next year. I'll have the fellowship Hall and bathrooms open.I see this as a free event but might sell beer/ water to make a small donation to the church.

Yeah I would have walked in the first place [[if able), but for sure I would not leave my car somewhere I normally did/ do not.

The cat [[catalytic converter) thieves are always trolling their regular haunts for unfamiliar un-scathed cars to apply the saw-zall. Or take the entire car...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    And yeah, I don't think leaving your car alone in the middle of traffic in the middle of a street like Vernor is a good idea.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-28-13 at 05:01 AM.

Shhh... don't ask, don't tell. Let's keep it on the 'low-low' lest it be ruined by a bunch of stampede inspiring teenagers......!

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Was this at Sweetest Heart of Mary?

I know what you mean about CAT theft. Sold a van to a guy and the very next day, I see him at a community meeting and his Cat was stolen.

On Wednesday, My husband and two neighbors watched in full daylight while two street thugs blatantly checked out our other neighbors van. She is 83 on on a fixed income. The last two nights I slept on the couch, windows open, All exterior lights on. On both nights around 2AM, the dogs went nuts and I let them out. So far so good but My back can't take another night on the couch.

It's actually legal to park on many sections of vernor but I sure wouldn't do it. Cars that do get smushed. Saw a mail truck park on Vernor once, it was toast. Went looking for the postal carrier up the street to tell. Never saw someone run so fast. Federal police were there in minutes.

For EEV residents, parking on Vernor is like parking on Cadieux, you just don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Blame all your woes on the DPD, it's easy, right? They are damned if they do, damned if they don't. What do you want anyway...thousands of people on Belle Isle, thousands of people downtown, tell me you could have done a better job. 60 minutes sitting in a car, sorry for the inconvenience!
    THANK YOU. Maybe he should stop his whining. Maybe he wants someone to rub his head and tell him it's gonna be alright. I lived in Chicago for years, traffic control favored the area with the most traffic [[common sense).
    He'll get over it

She'll get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Too bad there weren't streetcars to pile into.
    Well, since they would all be curb running, not grade separated and in traffic...they'd be stuck there too.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well, since they would all be curb running, not grade separated and in traffic...they'd be stuck there too.
    Not the magic $150 mil choo-choo, oh no, it has super powers!