Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default FBI potentially targeting Benny Napoleon

Very possible another mayor could be pulled off while serving.

Thanks alot Duggan. Your impatience is about to serve us right up to this clown.

What a bottomless cesspool.

Don't believe it. Napolean is much too dense and indolent to be involved in this directly.

The DOJ also intervened with DPD under his watch as Chief.

Wayne County seems just too plagued with corruption and back-slapping to be a decent source for an executive.

Maybe once we get this district voting up and running, we'll see a new crop of leaders emerge who haven't governed during this long-running "play ball" era ...

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    What a bottomless cesspool.
    That was my gut reaction too, lpg.

There's something in the tone of the article that comes through in Napoleon's remarks. Maybe it's unfair to say this, since I'm just inferring it from his tone, but he seems to be saying, "This won't stick to me. Go ahead and try your hardest to take me down with this. I know what I'm doing. I've covered my tracks. I did this in such a way to make it plausibly deniable. And so I'm not worried at all."

Talk about the wrong message to send!

Look at this blog from last year.
    http://donewithnapoleon.wordpress.com/
    Wonder how true this is.
    Last edited by getmoore; June-24-13 at 07:25 PM.

With whats been going on....... it makes me wish Bing was running...... sorry....

Krystal Crittendon for Mayor

Sigh! My husband is all for Crittendon but I am not sold yet.

No doubt I will bring on a storm of controversy but keep the EFM in place for the next 5 yrs. Everything on the table except the DIA. Our elected officials seem to fall so short. Sigh again!

I truly don't think Benny is corrupt at all. That's why he can speak with such confidence that nothing will stick to him. However, I do believe he was an mediocre police chief. There is nothing in his past performance either as police chief or Wayne county sheriff that jumps out to me and makes me feel he would be a good mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Sigh! My husband is all for Crittendon but I am not sold yet.

No doubt I will bring on a storm of controversy but keep the EFM in place for the next 5 yrs. Everything on the table except the DIA. Our elected officials seem to fall so short. Sigh again!
    You know what ? I'm with you there. What Orr is doing and what must be done for Detroit to survive and prosper can't be done by elected officials. The political will just isn't there. To do what Orr is doing goes completely against an elected officials need to survive and get re-elected. There's a reason that Can got kicked down the road for decades. I stupidly believed Bing would be the one to have that political will since I thought he didn't need the salary that the job provided. There is a reality here. People just don't spend time raising money giving speeches and doing all the hard work to get into elected office just to be a one termer because you pissed people off with some hard decisions you had to make which of course was right in the long term but short term it brings you a lot of grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Wayne County seems just too plagued with corruption and back-slapping to be a decent source for an executive.
    That's why Duggan was a bad choice too. He was connected to the same machine. The city needs new blood. Someone that has never been part of the system that has failed so bad.

If Benny gets yanked, and somebody can make sure Barrow is out of the race ......

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    That's why Duggan was a bad choice too. He was connected to the same machine. The city needs new blood. Someone that has never been part of the system that has failed so bad.

If Benny gets yanked, and somebody can make sure Barrow is out of the race ......
    Amen........

Duggan was never connected to Ficano. I would say that they have always been enemies even. Certainly McNamara hated Ficano.

I guess you want new blood like Krystal or Lisa. Neither have ever run anything big.

Krytal is Joann Watson's puppet and none too smart. Do you think she jumped up from the ranks of city lawyers to Corporation Counsel after toiling away for years in obscurity because she was a shining star? No - someone wanted her advanced and it was the KK/Monica segment of government. She still answers to them.

To be perfectly honest, because I want Detroit to get better, I will want whoever Dan Gilbert wants.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    You know what ? I'm with you there. What Orr is doing and what must be done for Detroit to survive and prosper can't be done by elected officials. The political will just isn't there. To do what Orr is doing goes completely against an elected officials need to survive and get re-elected. There's a reason that Can got kicked down the road for decades. I stupidly believed Bing would be the one to have that political will since I thought he didn't need the salary that the job provided. There is a reality here. People just don't spend time raising money giving speeches and doing all the hard work to get into elected office just to be a one termer because you pissed people off with some hard decisions you had to make which of course was right in the long term but short term it brings you a lot of grief.
    I always hoped that a strong black leader would take the stage and get the citizens behind reform. For too long, inmates have run the asylum. I think Kwame could have done that. He chose otherwise. Duggan had possibilities. Too bad he was whacked before we could find out. I hope a real leader emerges. Like Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Duggan was never connected to Ficano. I would say that they have always been enemies even. Certainly McNamara hated Ficano.

I guess you want new blood like Krystal or Lisa. Neither have ever run anything big.

Krytal is Joann Watson's puppet and none too smart. Do you think she jumped up from the ranks of city lawyers to Corporation Counsel after toiling away for years in obscurity because she was a shining star? No - someone wanted her advanced and it was the KK/Monica segment of government. She still answers to them.

To be perfectly honest, because I want Detroit to get better, I will want whoever Dan Gilbert wants.
    Ms. Crittendon was promoted through the ranks because she was a smart, very talented trial attorney. You should check with some of the judges she's been in front of. The only ones who wanted her advanced were people who valued her combination of real talent and a solid work ethic. The trial division of the law department - where she spent her entire career prior to becoming deputy corporation counsel - has almost no direct contact with or impact on city council. They are too busy putting out fires and she really was a shining star.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Ms. Crittendon was promoted through the ranks because she was a smart, very talented trial attorney. You should check with some of the judges she's been in front of. The only ones who wanted her advanced were people who valued her combination of real talent and a solid work ethic. The trial division of the law department - where she spent her entire career prior to becoming deputy corporation counsel - has almost no direct contact with or impact on city council. They are too busy putting out fires and she really was a shining star.
    Good post Evergreen.

Let's be frank. The only reason the revisionists try to make her out as a terrible person now is simply because she attempted to shake things up with the state's intervention into the city's finances.

You know, there's something else about Benny that bugs me. I just don't like police officers becoming mayors. I know it happens in a lot of places, but somehow, I see it as a conflict of interest since mayors still have some financial and administrative influence over the police departments.