Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Ilitch to demo Hotel Eddystone and Harbor Light

This is so disappointing, yet not even remotely surprising given their history regarding demo'ing Detroit's past. I was very much hoping this would be rehabbed. Bummed.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130624/METRO01/306240013/Arena-plan-one-more-change-Cass-Corridor-area-rich-history?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Sorry...my comp is acting up and wouldn't let me post in the initial post. Also know we have a thread about the arena...but this seemed significant enough to warrant new thread. This is so disappointing, yet not even remotely surprising given their history regarding demo'ing Detroit's past. I was very much hoping this would be rehabbed. Bummed.
    Me too. Used to be four buildings, each more than 10 stories, on each corner of Park and Sproat. Ilitch and his crew just couldn't care less about preserving buildings that simply couldn't be built today.

Ilitch: "Throw out that OLD wine! Bring me that NEW, YOUNG wine!"

Even if they wanted to preserve these buildings, they're probably past the point of "cheap" rehab anyway.

outside of photo captions in that article have there been any other confirmations that they will be leveled?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    outside of photo captions in that article have there been any other confirmations that they will be leveled?
    I'm not sure I'd bet the farm on the information in those captions.

Where did the info come from?

Did we have that info last week with the plan roll-out?

Keep drinking the Illitch kool-aid, folks. $300 million in taxpayer dollars for parking lots and a relocated arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Keep drinking the Illitch kool-aid, folks. $300 million in taxpayer dollars for parking lots and a relocated arena.
    I have having to agree with Bham but Ilitch's track record is proven and consistent. To think anything different will happen here is just plain silly. Also, look for plans for the Detroit Life building to come to a halt once the tax monies are finalized to this project.

Ilitch' re-development plans always come to light when he wants something then stop once he gets it.

I agree with this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I have having to agree with Bham but Ilitch's track record is proven and consistent. To think anything different will happen here is just plain silly. Also, look for plans for the Detroit Life building to come to a halt once the tax monies are finalized to this project.

Ilitch' re-development plans always come to light when he wants something then stop once he gets it.
    She clutched him to her bosom, "You're so beautiful," she cried
    "But if I hadn't brought you in, by now you might have died"
    Now she stroked his pretty skin again and then kissed and held him tight
    But instead of saying thanks, the snake gave her a vicious bite!
    "Take me in, oh tender woman
    Take me in for heaven's sake
    Take me in, tender woman," sighed the snake
    "Now I saved you," cried the woman
    And you've bit me, even why?
    And you know your bite is poisonous and now I'm going to die"
    "Ah shut up, silly woman," said that reptile with a grin
    “Now you knew darn well I was a snake before you brought me in

Dang Honky Tonk. I love that song.

we dont have enough information regarding the two buildings, whether they will be rehabilitated OR demolished. asking for more sources outside of detroit news photo captions when nothing else has been mentioned regarding the demo of this buildings is far from drinking kool-aid.

I think I will wait until John Gallagher from the Freep or the official word comes out that these are coming down. I don't trust picture captions from the Snooze.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post

"Keep drinking the Illitch kool-aid, folks. $300 million in taxpayer dollars for parking lots and a relocated arena."

I'll third this. Only fools would have any faith in the idea that Ilitch has any interest in rehabilitating any of the historic buildings downtown.

To be honest, when I heard the monetary figure & scope given to this project [[$650 million to transform 45 blocks & build an arena), I assumed there would not be much in terms of rehabbing. I would have been more surprised if they announced they would be renovated. At best, I envision a really nice arena fronted on Woodward, several large parking structures with ground-level retail, a few 4-5 story new buildings [[hotel, office, residential), maybe the Detroit Life building gets renovated [[though I think it would take a while), and a good amount of paved surface parking. That's at best in my mind...and if it's anything more then I will truly be shocked. But it would not surprise me one bit if things end up being a new arena with a couple structures right around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    To be honest, when I heard the monetary figure & scope given to this project [[$650 million to transform 45 blocks & build an arena), I assumed there would not be much in terms of rehabbing. I would have been more surprised if they announced they would be renovated. At best, I envision a really nice arena fronted on Woodward, several large parking structures with ground-level retail, a few 4-5 story new buildings [[hotel, office, residential), maybe the Detroit Life building gets renovated [[though I think it would take a while), and a good amount of paved surface parking. That's at best in my mind...and if it's anything more then I will truly be shocked. But it would not surprise me one bit if things end up being a new arena with a couple structures right around it.
    This.

My only optimism is that this project is happening in the shadow of Dan Gilbert going bananas in the CBD with rehabs and filling vacant space and the outdoor park programming. I think he's showing a proof of concept that people WANT urban & walk-able, will pack it all day long if it's there and they'd rather be there than an exurban office park.

But I'm sure the easy money from packing as much parking on that site as possible will win out in the end. This is Olympia after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    650M might sound like a lot of money but it really isn't.

Isn't 2/3s of that the arena?

That leaves about 200M for other work and quite frankly what does 200M buy - two new office buildings?

That, I'd think, is good reason to have modest expectations.

By point of reference, some have put the development near the Verizon Center in D.C. at 7 BILLION.

that is 10 x.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-24-13 at 12:52 PM.

I remember predicting that these buildings were toast based on Illitch's history and getting attacked by individuals on this forum who thought he just might have a heart and become a preservationist. It least he's saving the Life. What about the UA?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    expectations.

By point of reference, some have put the development near the Verizon Center in D.C. at 7 BILLION.

that is 10 x.
    The development near the Verizon Center in DC has nothing to do with the construction of the Verizon Center.

DC has had a massive downtown office boom, and the Verizon Center was built on the rundown fringe of downtown. When the construction boom began, all those parking lots were built on. It doesn't have anything to do with the circus or ice capades or whatever nonsense they have playing at the arena.

The development near the Verizon Center in DC has nothing to do with the construction of the Verizon Center.

DC has had a massive downtown office boom, and the Verizon Center was built on the rundown fringe of downtown. When the construction boom began, all those parking lots were built on. It doesn't have anything to do with the circus or ice capades or whatever nonsense they have playing at the arena.
    Verizon = building on steroids [[in that area).

I will remind the reads that that area was in terrible, terrible shape.

Whenever someone makes the point that the poster makes, the answer was, IF it wasn't because of Verizon why didn't it happen BEFORE Verizon???

I started to follow the Nationals Park area when the Nats came to town.

There is a blogger who has made her life work blogging and taking thousands of photos of the area [[she probably knows more about the area than any living person including the council person).

As soon as it appeared that a stadium was coming I watched the greatest land rush I'd ever seen.

They've put up new row houses, tons of apartments and condos, now building a big apt on S. Capitol opposite Nats Park - something which would have NEVER been done.

Surprisingly office space has been the PROBLEM. It appears lot of it is empty.

The ball park was the catalyst for a 'new town', just south of Capitol office buildings on the Hill. [[I've walked from the Capitol South subway stop to Nationals Park a number of times - think it is about a mile).

Whenever someone makes the point that the poster makes, the answer was, IF it wasn't because of Verizon why didn't it happen BEFORE Verizon???
    It did happen before Verizon. That area was already being filled in long before Verizon. Office users and government entities don't need a sports arena to make leasing decisions.
    As soon as it appeared that a stadium was coming I watched the greatest land rush I'd ever seen.
    And if no stadium came, you would have seen the same land rush.

You really think the federal govt. expanded in recent years because of a baseball stadium?

The biggest office space user near that park is the U.S. Govt.; specifically the Navy. I'm willing to bet that the Navy isn't making hiring and space utilization decisions based on proximity to baseball games.

IMO the biggest reason for a development boom in central DC has been the expansion of federal govt. concurrent with the "War on Terror" and related activities. I don't think sports venues have anything to do with it.
    Last edited by Bham1982; June-24-13 at 02:47 PM.

Illitch is just clearing the way for his new Red Wings Area.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Illitch is just clearing the way for his new Red Wings Area.
    What Ilitch wants, Ilitch gets.

As someone mentioned.... the United Artists Building/Theatre were not mentioned as part of this $650 plan, and neither was the Fine Arts Building facade along the north wall of W. Adams.

And then there's the issue of the taking down the Madison-Lenox Building... they got a $700K loan back in 2005 to take it down... with the stipulation that it must be paid back in 7 years if Ilitch doesn't build anything on that site...

Hmmmm....

It did happen before Verizon. That area was already being filled in long before Verizon. Office users and government entities don't need a sports arena to make leasing decisions.

And if no stadium came, you would have seen the same land rush.

You really think the federal govt. expanded in recent years because of a baseball stadium?

The biggest office space user near that park is the U.S. Govt.; specifically the Navy. I'm willing to bet that the Navy isn't making hiring and space utilization decisions based on proximity to baseball games.

IMO the biggest reason for a development boom in central DC has been the expansion of federal govt. concurrent with the "War on Terror" and related activities. I don't think sports venues have anything to do with it.
    Biggest land use around Nationals Park is HOUSING.

The navy has been there for I don't know how long.

There was a top secret geospatial installation there which I now believe is in Springfield, Va.

Neither of these installation caused any ripple in housing.

DOT [[transportation) opened up their headquarters but that didn't really give the area a pop.

The 'steroid affect' was Nationals Park.

Speculators couldn't buy and build on that land fast enough.

What has happened to that area in the last say half dozen years is amazing.

ON THE OTHER HAND, there was the Capital Centre in Landover, Md and also FedEx stadium there.

Neither did anything for the area.

Cap Centre was 1). Get off Beltway and park car 2). Watch game 3). Get in car and drive home.

I had season tixs to events there and NEVER ONCE had a meal in the area...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast