Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default "Tourist Question"

Hey all, semi-regular reader in the mid-2000's, moved out of the area in 2008. Never posted. Coming back into the area for one night, Aug 2, and going to show my better half downtown Detroit.

We only have the night of the 2nd and the morning of the 3rd to sight see. We are staying at the Book Cadillac [[so awesome they re-opened this).

What I was hoping from you guys was a recommendation for dinner the 2nd. Either something really fancy, top of the Renaissance Center [[?), The Whitney, or something uniquely Detroit, like Niki's in GreekTown. Any good suggestions ?

As for Saturday, we dont have a ton of time, but I am hoping for a brief driving tour to kinda of show her the scope of the city. Heidelberg Project, MCS, Packard Plant. I'd like to show her some of the empty block out on the east side. Any thoughts on a route [[final destination is Birch Run, MI) or a "dont miss" building or neighborhood we should go see? She is an architect so buildings are of great interest.

Thanks for your input...
    J
    Last edited by The_yeti; June-23-13 at 08:01 PM.

If you want to go fancy, Michael Symon's Roast is one of the best in Detroit and in the very hotel in which you are staying. I vastly prefer it over Coach Insignia [[view aside).

If you want something uniquely Detroit, try Lafayette Coney, Green Dot [[newer slider place from a Cali chef - really unique sliders) in Corktown [[my suggestion), or the original Buddy's pizza.

If she's an architect, why not show off some of Detroit's nicer neighborhoods like Indian Village and Boston Edison. Also, the Fisher building in New Center gives free tours on Saturday.

Cranbrook Art Museum - Michigan Modern
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...NT01/306130002

Joe Muer seafood is excellent fine dining. The Rattlesnake Club is off the beaten path and in a very nice setting near the River walk, it's also a Detroit institution, surviving for over two decades. Roast is excellent and right in the book caddy. Texas de Brazil is also very good, go hungry tho! Slows is another restaurant that has become a Detroit institution, and won't hurt the wallet as much as the other places.

I'll second/third the motion for Roast, especially if you are a dedicated carnivore. If it's still on the menu get the bacon appetizer.

If she likes books, take her to John King.

http://www.rarebooklink.com/