Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Know anyone from Mother of Our Savior??

This old parochial school was on Greenfield just south of Schoolcraft on the NW side of Detroit. It had a nice run from 1951 to 1973.
    The school building and church building still exist.
    There is an all class reunion for Aug 15th for old students. If anyone is still out there who knows someone from that school, let them know ok?
    The principal Mother Marius is 84 and will be there.
    The reunion will be in Livonia.

Used to know a few MOS folks but I've lost touch with them over the years. We had several come to St. Marys in the 7th grade, back in the 72-73 school year. Even more came from Queen of Hope the following year. Hope you get a good turnout at the reunion. We had our SMR 30th high school reunion last year, ended up having a very popular 5th/6th grade teacher show up. He brought 3 photo albums filled with pictures from those years from our classes [[we had him in 5th grade, he changed to 6th grade the next year and several of us had him again). We had a lot of people at the reunion who had him back then, kind of had a mini grade-school reunion going on with all the 'kids' from those classes as we all looked thru the pictures.

My brother Andy McCauley might have been one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    My brother Andy McCauley might have been one of those.
    I knew your brother back in the day, though he wasn't in my class. Gotta be the same Andy McCauley - pretty sure he would have gone to MOS. He hung out with Ed Lark. He used to ask us to punch him in the stomach as hard as we could to show how strong his stomach was - had those 'abs of steel' back then.

Andy went into the Marines right after high school.
    He's out in Casa Garnde, Arizona trying to get a construction busines going. He just was back a month ago for a few weeks. Those abs are still good.
    Eddie Lark's sister is trying to get Eddie to our MOS reunion on August 15th.
    Was Mary Haas in your class?
    How about a Fix girl?

Figured that had to be your brother. KC Haas was in my class, pretty sure she's Mary's sister. Don't really have any way to get in touch with her. Didn't know anyone named Fix. Give Andy a good slug to the stomach for me next time you see him [[if he even remembers me)! I was good friends with Ed thru high school and some years after, haven't seen him in many years. He hasn't gone to the SMR reunions. Used to play b'ball in his backyard over on Montrose back in those days.

Ed's brother was Don Lark and he was on WXYZ and WJBK news for sometime. Bill Bonds used to put him in his place.
    What's your last name so I can tell Andy?

WE now have 196 people signed up for the reunion.
    Many family members will be there like the Antons, Battels, Bobrowskis, Driscolls, Gibbons, Haas, Jarvis, Macdonald McKendry,Mosteikos, Pare, Rash, Sauve,
    Shipp, Smulsky, Spellman, Strauss, Vervilles, Sloan, McCauley and Wiernik families.

Next Saturday, August 15th, is the MOS all class reunion.to be held at Monaghans K of C in Livonia, Mich.
    We have over 200 people signed up
    The principal Mother Marius [[now Sr. Theresa Milne) will be there along with several other teaching nuns from that era. Thirteen parents [[like the Shipps and Smulskys) are also on board.
    If you went there and want to come, call just Joe at 734 -420 -2898

Ed's brother was Don Lark and he was on WXYZ and WJBK news for sometime. Bill Bonds used to put him in his place.
    What's your last name so I can tell Andy?
    Whoops, haven't been back in this post for a long time. last name is Burke. I went to St. Marys all the way through, 1-12, lived on Prevost just off of Eaton. I remember when Don Lark was on TV. I think he went out of state some time in the early or mid 80s. Have a great reunion - sounds like you'll have a really good turnout.

Yes, we are up to 211 people coming.
    I'll tell my brother and Eddie, Jim Burke said "Hi".

Yes, we are up to 211 people coming.
    I'll tell my brother and Eddie, Jim Burke said "Hi".
    How was the reunion? If I hadn't had plans that night I would have dropped in for a beer or two - I live close to Monaghans. Been to many SMR all-classes reunions there, St. Pattys day, etc. We had our 30th there last year. St. Marys has an all-classes reunion there every year, I think it's the first Friday after Labor day. It's died down quite a bit over the last few years. Used to have huge gatherings there for that and the night before Thanksgiving [[that one moved from Dooleys to there at some point in the late 80s or so).

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    Whoops, haven't been back in this post for a long time. last name is Burke. I went to St. Marys all the way through, 1-12, lived on Prevost just off of Eaton. I remember when Don Lark was on TV. I think he went out of state some time in the early or mid 80s. Have a great reunion - sounds like you'll have a really good turnout.
    SMRJim do you by any chance have an older sister named Margaret? I had a classmate by that name. Coincidentally I delivered the Free Press to her family my sophomore year [['68-'69). My route was on Mansfield and Rutherford from Grand River to Hackett and Prevost from Grand River to Fenkell, so it fits where you and she lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Civildan View Post
    SMRJim do you by any chance have an older sister named Margaret? I had a classmate by that name. Coincidentally I delivered the Free Press to her family my sophomore year [['68-'69). My route was on Mansfield and Rutherford from Grand River to Hackett and Prevost from Grand River to Fenkell, so it fits where you and she lived.
    Well I'll be, you were our paperboy back then, and yes, Margaret is my sister. She went to SMR from early grade school thru 11th grade, then transferred to Cooley for her senior year in 70-71. She was a bit of a rebellious hippy back then, didn't care for SMR's 'politics'. She's been living in NYC [[Jamaica, Queens) since the mid 70s. Some of her friends I remember - Rosemary Ziemba, Mary McMillan, Mary Jo Andree, Anita Kahan. Pretty sure that most of her friends were from SMR - maybe not Anita. What's your last name if you don't mind my asking? Sounds like you had a pretty good sized paper route. I would have been in the 3rd grade when you had your route. I was an avid reader of the sports section by then - still have memories of reading about the Tigers in 68 when they won the series. I think the papers went on strike for a while toward the end of the summer, which meant I couldn't follow the Tigers via the paper for a while.

That shows a pretty good memory remembering the strike. It actually started in late '67 and ended in August '68. That's when I became a paperboy. Glad I was able to help you get your newspaper sports section fix at such a young age. I always started my weekly collections on Thursdays and the day the Tigers won the World Series was one of those Thursdays. Best day I ever had for tips while collecting.
    My last name is Grochowski. I actually exchanged some emails with Rosemary this year after 38 years. I knew the two Marys but did not know Anita so you are likely correct in that she did not attend SMR. Hope Margaret is doing well. I also left Detroit in the mid-70's, after graduating from MSU, but headed the other direction. Been in Albuquerque since.

That shows a pretty good memory remembering the strike. It actually started in late '67 and ended in August '68. That's when I became a paperboy. Glad I was able to help you get your newspaper sports section fix at such a young age. I always started my weekly collections on Thursdays and the day the Tigers won the World Series was one of those Thursdays. Best day I ever had for tips while collecting.
    My last name is Grochowski. I actually exchanged some emails with Rosemary this year after 38 years. I knew the two Marys but did not know Anita so you are likely correct in that she did not attend SMR. Hope Margaret is doing well. I also left Detroit in the mid-70's, after graduating from MSU, but headed the other direction. Been in Albuquerque since.
    I was probably not your typical 3rd grader I guess. I would get up before school, eat breakfast and then spread the sports section out on the kitchen floor and read it there. My two sisters that were close to my age thought I was nuts, laid out on the kitchen floor like that.

If you get in touch with Rosemary again please mention mine and Margaret's names. She was one of Margaret's closest friends back then. When Margaret left here she had joined up with a group run by an Eastern Indian guru named Sri Chin Moy, who passed away a couple of years ago. He is actually fairly well known - there's info about him on the web. He's had some celebrity followers over the years - Clarence Clemons from Bruce Springsteen's band, Carlos Santana and Jon McGloughlin [[sp?) to name some. She came back to Detroit in 76 or 77 and gave a presentation at Wayne State about her group. I drove her there and we met up with Rosemary that day and had dinner with her at Alvins Delicatessen. That's probably the last time I saw Rosemary. Margaret is still with the group - she goes by Shephali now. Sri Chin Moy gave them their Indian spiritual names [[or something along those lines). It's a bit different, but she's always seemed very happy. She runs a restaurant of theirs in NY - they have 'chapters' around the world and and own many businesses. Anyway, that's the short bio of what Margaret's been doing over the years. I hope Rosemary is doing well. I'll have to talk to Margaret soon, mention this to her. Sure is an even smaller world these days with the internet.

I've heard of Sri Chinmoy, probably because of the celebrities. Life sure is interesting especially learning how people's lives ended up [[thank you internet). I'll pass along your names to Rosemary. I'm sure she'll be interested and let you know by private message when I hear back.

I've heard of Sri Chinmoy, probably because of the celebrities. Life sure is interesting especially learning how people's lives ended up [[thank you internet). I'll pass along your names to Rosemary. I'm sure she'll be interested and let you know by private message when I hear back.
    Thanks, Dan. I mentioned this to my brother Kevin and he thought you may have had a brother in his class, Paul maybe? Kevin graduated in 68. He said he was at this guys house once or twice, on Chalfonte right down from the high school gym.

Thanks, Dan. I mentioned this to my brother Kevin and he thought you may have had a brother in his class, Paul maybe? Kevin graduated in 68. He said he was at this guys house once or twice, on Chalfonte right down from the high school gym.
    Yes, Paul was my brother. Sadly he died back in 1977 by suicide [[he never quite recovered from a bummer drug trip a few years earlier). We actually lived on the southeast corner of St. Mary's and Ellsworth, a very short block north of Chalfonte, until moving to Winthrop just off Eaton in early 1967. Speaking of being at someone's house I remember going to a party at your house my senior year and, no, I don't think your parents or anyone else in your family were home. Since Margaret was already at Cooley I don't have a clue anymore how I got invited though I think it was pretty much all SMR students there.

Yes, Paul was my brother. Sadly he died back in 1977 by suicide [[he never quite recovered from a bummer drug trip a few years earlier). We actually lived on the southeast corner of St. Mary's and Ellsworth, a very short block north of Chalfonte, until moving to Winthrop just off Eaton in early 1967. Speaking of being at someone's house I remember going to a party at your house my senior year and, no, I don't think your parents or anyone else in your family were home. Since Margaret was already at Cooley I don't have a clue anymore how I got invited though I think it was pretty much all SMR students there.
    Wow, quit a few parallels here. My brother Kevin, who knew Paul, had a very bad acid experience in the early 70s, soon after he married Anne Cunniffe [[you probably knew some of the Cunniffes - their cousins the Lovelys lived on Winthrop down near Fenkell). He ended up suffering from schizophrenia, never fully recovered. There was a lot of speculation that it was from his bad trip, no way to know for sure.

My sisters and I [[the two closest to my age) used to have parties at the house when my parents were out of town when we were in high school. I wasn't there when Margaret had hers - I'd definitely remember that! It may have been just before the school year started - the rest of the family that still lived at home would have been on vacation up in Lexington for the week. Do you remember Fat Albert? He was a biker-looking guy who lived in the house on the southeast corner of Winthrop and Eaton. Might not have lived there til the early 70s or so. He was probably around your age, maybe a little older. Margaret got in a nasty car acident on that corner in 70 or 71, totalled our Chevy station wagon. The other guy ran the stop sign. She was lucky she didn't get seriously injured.

Wow, quit a few parallels here. My brother Kevin, who knew Paul, had a very bad acid experience in the early 70s, soon after he married Anne Cunniffe [[you probably knew some of the Cunniffes - their cousins the Lovelys lived on Winthrop down near Fenkell). He ended up suffering from schizophrenia, never fully recovered. There was a lot of speculation that it was from his bad trip, no way to know for sure.

My sisters and I [[the two closest to my age) used to have parties at the house when my parents were out of town when we were in high school. I wasn't there when Margaret had hers - I'd definitely remember that! It may have been just before the school year started - the rest of the family that still lived at home would have been on vacation up in Lexington for the week. Do you remember Fat Albert? He was a biker-looking guy who lived in the house on the southeast corner of Winthrop and Eaton. Might not have lived there til the early 70s or so. He was probably around your age, maybe a little older. Margaret got in a nasty car acident on that corner in 70 or 71, totalled our Chevy station wagon. The other guy ran the stop sign. She was lucky she didn't get seriously injured.
    That is amazing, but so sad, that both of our brothers had similarly bad expereinces with drugs. I am sure they are not alone.
    I did not know any Cunniffe's but was familiar with their and the Lovelys names. It seems like Paul may have been acquintances with a Jim[[?) Lovely. Not sure.
    The party I am thinking of was definitely well into my senior year because I remember there being a girl at the party that I had a crush on and she did not move to Detroit or attend SMR until our senior year.
    I did not know Fat Albert. I do remember there being someone that might fit that description but they lived on the southeast corner of Eaton and Forrer not Winthorp. Long, sort of thin dark hair and a bit overweight. He may have been a year or so older than me. Is it possible that's where her accident occured?

Just find out about this site brought back memories of MOS. My last year was 1970 carter was last name, sounds like the reunion was nice.
    Last edited by carter; October-16-09 at 12:25 PM.

...I did not know Fat Albert. I do remember there being someone that might fit that description but they lived on the southeast corner of Eaton and Forrer not Winthorp. Long, sort of thin dark hair and a bit overweight. He may have been a year or so older than me. Is it possible that's where her accident occured?
    Now that I think of it it 'Fat Albert' probably did live on Forrer. I think his real name might have been Pat something-or-other? Pretty sure that Margaret's accident was at Winthrop and Eaton, though it was MANY years ago. The two weren't related in any way, just two memories related to Eaton.

We are headed for a last round up [[reunion) for all classes at Mother of Our Savior grade school on August 2nd, 2014.
    Contact paulmcall@comcast.net or further details

Now that I think of it it 'Fat Albert' probably did live on Forrer. I think his real name might have been Pat something-or-other? Pretty sure that Margaret's accident was at Winthrop and Eaton, though it was MANY years ago. The two weren't related in any way, just two memories related to Eaton.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by daddeeo; May-21-14 at 08:22 AM.

Reunion went well. Had over $1000 to donate to IHM nuns afterwards
    We invited some Queen Of Hope people too.

We are headed for a last round up [[reunion) for all classes at Mother of Our Savior grade school on August 2nd, 2014.
    Contact paulmcall@comcast.net or further details

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast