Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Hotel Charlevoix is gone

They brought the whole thing down at once this morning:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

Or for those not on Facebook:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013062...tel-Charlevoix

Just what Detroit needs, another parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by steve from virginia View Post
    Just what Detroit needs, another parking lot.
    What it even salvageable at the point it was ordered to be demolished?
    Last edited by 313WX; June-24-13 at 09:15 AM.

It's tremendously sad that this building was allowed to deteriorate into the horrible state it was in. Ridiculous that we allow buildings in our core area owned by wealthy people to fall into this state without forcing them to do something to stop the deterioration. I'm glad to hear that the city intends to charge Sachs for the demolition, but I have little hope that a reptile like him will actually pay.

Moving Detroit forward... one gravel-covered vacant lot at a time.

Good. Nice to see progress back there.

Yes, more parking lots!

Fuck YOU buildings!

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post

Yes, more parking lots!

Fuck YOU buildings!
    You kill me, man......

I wish they would have kept that building around. The drug dealers and rapists need somewhere to go.

Seriously, how many vacant decrepit buildings does Detroit need? I'm 34 and it's been vacant pretty much my whole life. I'm sure after 30 plus years it would be pretty much impossible to renovate that place.

who got the demolition contract? was it no-bid? just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    who got the demolition contract? was it no-bid? just curious.
    http://www.doreandassociates.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You kill me, man......
    Brizee is awesome!!

They did a poor tear down. The building crashed into its neighbor, damaging the fire escape. Good thing that building was also vacant. Let's face it. It had to go. Too much of a safety risk with the falling bricks and all. If only the owner had taken better care of it. I still can't believe there was a for sale sign on it within the past year

The Charlevoix's neighbor to the south, the Park Ave. Building, is I believe owned by the same lovely person, attorney Ralph Sachs. So, I'd bet that hes not all that unhappy it was damaged by the [[cheap, sloppy, no bid) demolition of his other building. Perhaps now he can get us to pay to tear that one down for him too.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The Charlevoix's neighbor to the south, the Park Ave. Building, is I believe owned by the same lovely person, attorney Ralph Sachs. So, I'd bet that hes not all that unhappy it was damaged by the [[cheap, sloppy, no bid) demolition of his other building. Perhaps now he can get us to pay to tear that one down for him too.

I believe in the article it stated that the demo crew told a Olympia Lot attendant that they are coming back to demo the Park Ave building later this year. Hopefully not true, but who knows.

It seems like they just smacked the building and it buckled and fell, in which case it was not feasible to save and repurpose. I saw pictures and eye-in-the-sky video from another website.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    It seems like they just smacked the building and it buckled and fell, in which case it was not feasible to save and repurpose. I saw pictures and eye-in-the-sky video from another website.
    After cutting the steel I-beams supporting the old hotel, cables were used to bring the building down upon itself.

In the OP link Freep.

Kinda like cutting the frame in half so the car can be folded,which would make it not feasible to save.

How does it feel knowing you paid to demolish his building for him while he pockets the future gains.

He goes home with a smile while you guys go home with a sore backside. Nice