Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SPIRITED Guest

Default Paula Dean fired from Foodnetwork for using a racial slur.

I thought this might be a good topic for discussion. Personally I think it was wrong for her to say it but an apology was all that was necessary. Your thoughts?

i'm not a big fan and she did tell the truth under oath. not sure if it was the whole truth but i think she may have been on the chopping block with the food network anyway.

Despite what she may or may not have said, I think they should smear her with bacon grease and put her on the first manned rocket mission to the sun.

My second choice is that they'd do a re-make of Forrest Gump giving her the lead role. The only exception would be in the last scene of the movie, she'd get confused, go looking for a few pounds of butter and get run over by the school bus. Just my personal opinion.

So is it the new thing that every celebrity loses their show if they make a racial slur? People needs to grow some balls, it's a fricking word. Now if she wasn't treating people of other races equally in her restaurants, then I'm ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    So is it the new thing that every celebrity loses their show if they make a racial slur? People needs to grow some balls, it's a fricking word. Now if she wasn't treating people of other races equally in her restaurants, then I'm ok with it.
    I'm pretty sure it was more the context of "having n* dressed up in white shirts and black bow ties" serving at a "plantation themed" wedding reception.

It's so funny that those "bastions" of free enterprise are getting on a private company's case for firing someone

Could this possibly matter any less?

SPIRITED Guest

If in society there is no forgiveness how uncivil have we become? Just because she said something a long time ago, or felt a certain way back then doesn't mean she feels that way now. After all I used to consider myself a republican.

It's only okay for those of color to use the 'n' word. Which they do all the time.

Broad statement there. Not even on of color uses this word as you say. Nope... I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    It's only okay for those of color to use the 'n' word. Which they do all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Broad statement there. Not even on of color uses this word as you say. Nope... I don't.

I don't think Ray1936 was implying that ALL black people use the word, just that many do use it a lot. Heck, JayZ and Kanye West basically built their careers off the word, but I don't see the media ripping them apart for it. Paula Dean was recounting what she said after being held up at gun point nearly 30 years ago.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-24-13 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I don't think Ray1936 was implying that ALL black people use the word, just that many do use it a lot. Heck, JayZ and Kanye West basically built their careers off the word, but I don't see the media ripping them apart for it. Paula Dean was recounting what she said after being held up at gun point nearly 30 years ago.

Really? What I heard was her describing a proposed antebellum plantation theme for a wedding

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Really? What I heard was her describing a proposed antebellum plantation theme for a wedding

Here's a link to a transcript of the deposition.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3467287.html

My only implications were that I think she was a knob that promoted horrible recipes and was exceptionally annoying. Just one more reason I cancelled my cable. Again, just my personal opinion. Maybe promoting diabetes and obesity should be showcased more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    First off, thanks to Zacha341 for pointing out that not every black person uses that term, as I most certainly don't as well.

Secondly, I'd like to ask Mr. Ray1936 if he has a nickname for his wife? If so, is it alright if I call her by his nickname for her? I certainly would never entertain the idea of calling another man's wife sweetie pie or snookums, or whatever other term a man has for his wife. When people share a bond and an understanding with each other, it's okay for them to call each other certain terms that might not be okay for others outside of that relationship to use.

Okay, okay, the rebuttal argument from most people would be that I'm comparing apples and oranges by comparing the most intimate of relationships [[a marriage) with people who might actually be strangers to each other and their only bond might be their ethnicity. That was an analogy I was using, so let me tie it up.

I work with a bunch of white people, some of whom like to refer to themselves as rednecks from time to time. They even argue over the true meaning of the term redneck. They say that a redneck was originally just a Michigan farmer who worked out in the sun all day and so his neck turned red. They even seem to show a little pride in calling themselves rednecks. Hey, whatever. My point is this, if they want to refer to each other as rednecks, that's their business. I never refer to any white person as a redneck. To me that would be rude and disrespectful and something I refuse to do, even if they call themselves that.

You know what I will call white people, though? I have a very, very special name for each and every white person that I call them by [[it's actually similar to the name I have for anyone of any ethnicity I deal with): THE NAME THEIR MOTHER GAVE THEM. That's the name I'd appreciate being referred to by as well, the name my mother gave me. I don't know why that's so hard for people, especially ones who claim they don't see skin color.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; June-24-13 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    My only implications were that I think she was a knob that promoted horrible recipes and was exceptionally annoying. Just one more reason I cancelled my cable. Again, just my personal opinion. Maybe promoting diabetes and obesity should be showcased more.
    Also I think the Food Network saw the situation as a opportunity to throw her under the bus since her ratings had taken a major hit even before all of this came out. She lost 25% of her total viewership from last year and 32% in the 25-54 y/o demographic which is the demographic her show was aimed at. I bet the exec's at the Food Network are grinning from ear to ear. Paula gave them a reason to can her and the Network can look like the good guys in the process

^^^ Points well taken... for the record I am not impressed with Jayz, West or other incarnations of that kind of music thrown up the pop chart and celebrated.

Overall I am pretty done with the racial slurs on all sides. I am not comfortable, or 'tee-hee' white people calling themselves red-necks, or hearing it used as a slur. And having worked/ volunteered to engage black youth I have challenged the use of the N-word use, whatever the context, where it comes up.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-25-13 at 02:57 AM.

I got in a wee bit of trouble for using the word "niggardly" once, even though the word is completely unrelated to the n word. It is derived from the Old Norse nigla - which is to be overly concerned with small matters and it is related to the term niggling. The n-word has its roots in Portuguese/Spanish.

SPIRITED Guest

I think the whole notion of being so offended by words that people want to use the force and stigma of government or public opinion to make things right is immature. What kind of a weak-kneed society have we become? Now if this went to actions where someone was physically hurt this is another story. But these were words said years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Also I think the Food Network saw the situation as a opportunity to throw her under the bus since her ratings had taken a major hit even before all of this came out. She lost 25% of her total viewership from last year and 32% in the 25-54 y/o demographic which is the demographic her show was aimed at. I bet the exec's at the Food Network are grinning from ear to ear. Paula gave them a reason to can her and the Network can look like the good guys in the process
    That sounds like a reasonable explanation. Companies should also be able to fire people for violating policies. If there is a policy condemning the use of disparaging names, that is probably already understood by most employees. Freedom of speech does not extend to company employees however. Quentin Tarantino use the n word multiple times in his movie. That was ok because he was not constrained by such understandings and because of the words' context. So it isn't so much the use of the word as its context. What gets puzzling is why someone like Jesse Jackson can get away with similar things he's said.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    That sounds like a reasonable explanation. Companies should also be able to fire people for violating policies. If there is a policy condemning the use of disparaging names, that is probably already understood by most employees. Freedom of speech does not extend to company employees however. Quentin Tarantino use the n word multiple times in his movie. That was ok because he was not constrained by such understandings and because of the words' context. So it isn't so much the use of the word as its context. What gets puzzling is why someone like Jesse Jackson can get away with similar things he's said.
    A lot depends on how valuable certain people or companies think you are. If the Food Network didn't think that Paula was near the end of her run, she would have gotten a slap on the hand. However her attitude plus her calorie busting, diabetes bomb dishes made her expendable to the people who care. Jesse on the other hand is pretty autonomous and because of it he can get away with some pretty outrageous statements as well.

Getting rid of her probably saved a few people from heart attacks so her firing also has, probably inadvertently, a health component.

SPIRITED Guest

So if it happened to you, you'd be OK with it. Getting fired for something you said 30-40 years ago before you were working there.

Quote Originally Posted by SPIRITED View Post
    So if it happened to you, you'd be OK with it. Getting fired for something you said 30-40 years ago before you were working there.

people forget that this all stems from a current lawsuit alleging a pattern of racial discrimination and harassment at her restaurant.

SPIRITED Guest

Decades back Hollywood actors, writers and others were black listed and were denyed work because of being suspected communist sympathizers. This was a dark time in our history called McCarthyism. This is history repeating itself.

Quote Originally Posted by SPIRITED View Post
    Decades back Hollywood actors, writers and others were black listed and were denyed work because of being suspected communist sympathizers. This was a dark time in our history called McCarthyism. This is history repeating itself.
    Actually, you might want to study the McCarthy era, J. Edgar Hoover era a bit more before making a ridiculous statement like that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast