Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default MLK Freedom Walk Detroit TODAY!

50 Year Anniversary Since Martin Luther King's 1963 Detroit Visit!

http://www.freedomwalkdetroit.com/index.html
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-22-13 at 08:04 AM.

I'll be there in spirit, Zacha!

I was there in '63. A toddler held up on my fathers shoulders for a view... a view of the crowds anyway. My parents where in the back of a very large number of marchers downtown Detroit!

My father, who was in the original march in 1963 [[as was I, as a babe on Daddy's shoulders, like Zacha) will be there today to be part of a photo of as many of the still living people who participated in the original march as they could gather. At 87 he's a little on in years to do any actual marching himself today, but he did want to be there and be in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    My father, who was in the original march in 1963 [[as was I, as a babe on Daddy's shoulders, like Zacha) will be there today to be part of a photo of as many of the still living people who participated in the original march as they could gather. At 87 he's a little on in years to do any actual marching himself today, but he did want to be there and be in the pictures.
    My goodness, that is beautiful.
    I was there. It was more and less than I expected.

This march was quite massive; the crowds were as dense as you can see in these photos, for blocks - at one point, from south of the Fox to North of Mack.

An attached photo of the march [[photo by Gregg Newsom) and a photo gallery:
    http://apps.detroitnews.com/apps/mul...y.php?id=16279

I'll note that there were also many whites on this march, young and old.Attachment 20591

Great turn out and nice photos!

Not related to his 1963 speech, a little info on his speech at Grosse Pointe High School in 1968.

http://gphistorical.org/mlk/index.htm

Thanks for sharing this MM! Cool link to document such a nice peaceful event. The attachment did not come thru however.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    This march was quite massive; the crowds were as dense as you can see in these photos, for blocks - at one point, from south of the Fox to North of Mack.

An attached photo of the march [[photo by Gregg Newsom) and a photo gallery:
    http://apps.detroitnews.com/apps/mul...y.php?id=16279

I'll note that there were also many whites on this march, young and old.Attachment 20591

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Thanks for sharing this MM! Cool link to document such a nice peaceful event. The attachment did not come thru however.

I get the same thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I get the same thing.
    Hopefully, this one will work:

Name:  mlk march 2013 fox.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  56.0 KB