Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tiger Stadium elevator tower to fall

Was at the ballpark yesterday, and one of the guys said they had just put in permits to close Michigan Avenue so they could raze the rest the elevator tower, et al on the corner of Michigan and Cochrane. Said they'd be working at night. I'm stuck at work during nights. Has anyone driven by in the last few hours? I'll drive by around 12:30 myself. Sure would be nice to get video and/or photos of that tower falling. I always loved it for some reason.

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Was at the ballpark yesterday, and one of the guys said they had just put in permits to close Michigan Avenue so they could raze the rest the elevator tower, et al on the corner of Michigan and Cochrane. Said they'd be working at night. I'm stuck at work during nights. Has anyone driven by in the last few hours? I'll drive by around 12:30 myself. Sure would be nice to get video and/or photos of that tower falling. I always loved it for some reason.
    i wonder what happened in that elevator to make it so significant...

id be interested in hearing about any neat stories of times gone by in this elevator.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown diva View Post
    i wonder what happened in that elevator to make it so significant...

id be interested in hearing about any neat stories of times gone by in this elevator.
    It was the press elevator that took you to the press boxes, so I'm not sure if there were tons of great stories. I just always loved that part of the ballpark for some reason. It was still standing tonight at 2 a.m.

I was at the Tiger Stadium site at 8:30 a.m. today [[Friday) and found no demolition workers on site. Could it be that they are getting their rest now so they can work tonight? I noticed no construction barrels staged for blocking a portion of Michigan Avenue. Maybe they will arrive later today?

Quote Originally Posted by Beech Cricker View Post
    I was at the Tiger Stadium site at 8:30 a.m. today [[Friday) and found no demolition workers on site. Could it be that they are getting their rest now so they can work tonight? I noticed no construction barrels staged for blocking a portion of Michigan Avenue. Maybe they will arrive later today?
    Hey! Another Penn State guy! [[I recognize you from the BWI board)

i was by there yesterday afternoon around 5. the old white lady looked pretty stark and sad against that cloudless optimistic blue sky.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNittany View Post
    Hey! Another Penn State guy! [[I recognize you from the BWI board)
    Cool! Seems we have interlocked boards to some extent.

I understand as of about 11 p.m. last night all was still quiet at the stadium.

It's still there today, at lunch. [[7/14)

-- Tim

detroit. demolishing the best. you get the rest.

detroit. flattening its way to a new tomorrow.
    detroit. we believe.
    detroit. we're doing it for you, baby.
    detroit. where the meek are led by the meeker.
    detroit. it's big sky city.
    detroit. we've got history to burn.
    detroit. stamping it out every day.
    detroit. say it loud! we're vacant and we're proud!
    detroit. who needs a skyline, when we've got development parcels!
    detroit. we like knockin shit down!
    detroit. watch out world, we'll crush you like we crush ours lve ...

Thanks for the updates and the photos. I've been making the trek down to the Stadium every few days to take photos of the deconstruction, the last time on Monday evening, but probably won't make it back until Saturday morning. Keep 'em coming!!

Well, it's interesting how fast the city was tearing down Tiger Stadium and now nothing is happening. Come on already and get it over with. It's depressing to see the elevator shaft and what's left of Tiger Stadium just lingering. Just finish the job.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Well, it's interesting how fast the city was tearing down Tiger Stadium and now nothing is happening. Come on already and get it over with. It's depressing to see the elevator shaft and what's left of Tiger Stadium just lingering. Just finish the job.
    Agreed. The fact that it "had to come down right away while scrap prices were still low" seems to have been negated. I left the country in mid-July for a week, and it basically looks like it did when I came back. I haven't even bothered shooting new updates for the Web site because there is nothing TO update.