Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Buy American

Default Buy American

Can someone please explain to me what exactly this phase means ??? For example I own a dodge ram1500, now while the truck is a Chrysler product it was assembled in Mexico. So would that be considered American or foreign ?? Does it matter where the home company is located or where the item is assembled ? Honestly I am not being a smartass but would like to know.

cheddar bob Guest

For new vehicles, I base it on where the profits are going.

The Dodge Ram is also built in Fenton, Missouri and Warren, Michigan. Are you sure you know which plant yours came from?

According to Level Field Institute, the average Big 3 car uses more than twice as much domestic content as the average foreign car, including foreign cars built in the U.S.

They show GM at an average 70% domestic content, Ford at 75%, and Chrysler at about 68% for the 2008 model year. That's quite a bit more than the 49% cited above. Is there a source for that figure?

Bearinabox Guest

When you buy a "foreign" car built down south, you're supporting assholes like Corker and Vitter, the people who elected them, and the worldview that caused them to suggest that we kindly drop dead. Frankly, I'd rather support autoworkers in Mexico, Canada, or even Europe or Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsuperfly View Post
    The Dodge RAM built in the US doesn't have enough American parts to be considered domestic according to your criteria. Its below 68% American parts.
    70% wasn't my criteria, that was something you said. I only gave industry averages between domestic and foreign.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    The Dodge Ram is also built in Fenton, Missouri and Warren, Michigan. Are you sure you know which plant yours came from?
    Yep I am sure, when I ordered it from the dealership I was given a call every two days to let me know how far along it was, when it was done, and on what train and what state that train was in. Took them 4 months from the point of when I ordered it to completion and arrive in Michigan. When my sales person told me it was being assembled in Mexico I nearly told him to cancel my vehicle.

ccbatson Guest

The profit...if there is any after taxation and ridiculous union/labor obligations, go to the parent company, no matter where the car is designed, assembled, parts are made, etc.

Default Made in USA a rarity.

I am trying desperately to buy American now and it is very difficult, if not impossible. For instance try to by a Electric Kettle. I end up having to buy Austrailian.......saying at least their allies and friendlies.

Quote Originally Posted by Redford Kid View Post
    I am trying desperately to buy American now and it is very difficult, if not impossible. For instance try to by a Electric Kettle. I end up having to buy Austrailian.......saying at least their allies and friendlies.
    Because of the greed of executives running these corporations labor on just about everything has been outsourced for cheap labor. I tried buying American. I couldn't find anything made in America anymore.

To the OP,

When talking about manufactured products in general, people usually mean "created, crafted or assembled in the USA" and the meaning is relatively clear. When talking about cars, it depends on who's using it. The meaning has become more ambiguous and tends to be used in sort of a political way.

Some people mean "built in the USA"

Some people mean "built by a company that is generally or legally acknowledged to be headquartered in the USA"

Some people mean "built by the UAW or CAW"

O.

This is an interesting read.

A Year Without "Made in China": One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Without-M.../dp/0470116137

"For new vehicles, I base it on where the profits are going. "

So all Chrysler products made and sold in the U.S. between 1998 and 2007 were foreign? Afterall, the profits went to Stuttgart Germany.

I guess those 1.3 million Hondas made in the U.S. last year assembled themselves. No families or communities were supported by the existence of the assembly plants. But those Mexicans that assembled all those Fusions surely did contribute to our economy......!
    Last edited by wash_man; April-03-09 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    When you buy a "foreign" car built down south, you're supporting assholes like Corker and Vitter, the people who elected them, and the worldview that caused them to suggest that we kindly drop dead. Frankly, I'd rather support autoworkers in Mexico, Canada, or even Europe or Japan.
    I just love seeing this dumbass sticker down here:
    Toyota Tundra: Born in Texas, Built by Texans
    I have no problem whipping in front of these morons without using a turn signal.

PS: Don't forget about that troll Shelby in Alabama.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wash_man View Post
    "For new vehicles, I base it on where the profits are going. "

So all Chrysler products made and sold in the U.S. between 1998 and 2007 were foreign? Afterall, the profits went to Stuttgart Germany.
    I didn't realize I was typing in yiddish. I thought my statement was pretty clear, but it looks like you're having a problem understanding it. First, ask yourself what country the profits go to. If it's not the US, then I consider the company foreign.

For me, buying a car from a foreign company that manufactures in the US is a narrow view that doesn't look at the broader picture. It is better than buying an imported car, though.

ccbatson Guest

Socialized medicine?? Absolutely not. Better argument is to privatize health care so that the customer and payer is the person seeking care. Not the employer sa an intermediary, and certainly not the government.

"I didn't realize I was typing in yiddish. I thought my statement was pretty clear, but it looks like you're having a problem understanding it. First, ask yourself what country the profits go to. If it's not the US, then I consider the company foreign."

Gee, I thought mine was pretty clear also. Were Chrysler products manufactured in the U.S. between 1998 and 2007 considered foreign? Using your logic they were as the parent company was in Germany.

ccbatson Guest

The company with it's name on the product makes the profit. Other companies make smaller profits for parts and services subcontracted to them. However, the cost of manufacturing the vehicle can't exceed the price charged for the vehicle as no company survives by losing money on their products or services.