Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default If Detroit had a trillion dollars

What should it do with it?

It would buy you a monkey.....haven't you always wanted a monKEY!?

Split it up evenly amongst the city council members to give to their supporters and bail Kwame out.

It would be moved to Florida.

Stuffed in off shore accounts, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    It would buy you a monkey.....haven't you always wanted a monKEY!?
    But not a real green dress, that's cruel.

Well, at least I make myself laugh.......hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    But not a real green dress, that's cruel.
    A BIG bottle of Dijon Ketchup!

Negotiate with the unions so that it is shared with those undeserving. File for bankruptcy the following year.

Pay off some bills.

Not much would be done since the suburbs and state would want to spend all of the city officials time talking about how we need more regionalism and Detroit should be helping out their neighbors.

Build an actual Robocop.

If it's taxable money the Feds[[40%) and State [[6%) would confiscate about $450,000,000,000.00 to give it someone else [[like people in the suburbs). Of the $550,000,000,000.00 left, top up the Union's Pension Fund, and then if there's still some over give the Bond Holders their money back.
    Last edited by coracle; June-19-13 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    If it's taxable money the Feds[[40%) and State [[6%) would confiscate about $450,000,000,000.00 to give it someone else. Of the $550,000,000,000.00 left,top up the Union's Pension Fund, and then if there's some over pay the Bond Holders.
    Michigan Income Tax is not 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by xrockerboy View Post
    What should it do with it?
    The first $20 bill would go to wiping out the debt.

The rest could be spent here:

- Beefing up police to ridiculous levels
    - Tear down every single vacant house immediately
    - Reorganize\update\upgrade\relocate government buildings to be setup as efficiently as possible
    - Subways along key corridors

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    - Beefing up police to ridiculous levels
    - Tear down every single vacant house immediately
    - Reorganize\update\upgrade\relocate government buildings to be setup as efficiently as possible
    - Subways along key corridors
    Money is necessary, but not sufficient to get things done. We have the money now. We don't have the laws, discipline, nor wisdom to spent it wisely.

Krugerrands for everybody!!!

Only a trillion? Why do we have to limit ourselves to just one trillion? I mean, the sky's the limit, right? Just imagine if Detroit had one hundred million billion quadrillion trillion dollars!

Detroit doesn't need a trillion. It only needs $2.5 billion. Although this may sound draconian, Detroit could buy up every single occupied and non-occupied house if each house was valued at $22,000 plus an additional $8,000 to demolish in the following areas. There are 74,000 houses with a population of 150,000 of which 80,000 are renters. A huge geographic area. Basically imagine everything south of I-94 cleared from Dearborn to Grosse Pointe excluding Indian Village, East English Village, Eastern Market, New Center, Downtown, Midtown,[[the Motown Musuem), Corktown, Woodbridge, Lafayette Towers, parts of Mexican town, and everything between Jefferson and the River)

2) Clear out everything between New Center and the Boston-Edison District [[between I-10 and I-75)
    3)The entire city of Highland Park
    4)The area between Woodward and I-75 [[between 8 mile and McNichols)
    5)The area between the City Airport along I-94 to Hamtramck.
    BTW, if you think I'm crazy, look at FutureDetroit project. It recommends the same thing I envision as the only solution for Detroit.
    77,000 houses x $30,000= 2.3 billion. [[both occupied and abandoned)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    John Merrick's remains [[all them crazy elephant bones!)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    To go with those pre-wrapped sausages & Kraft dinners

Trillion dollars eh? How about Bringing factory jobs back to the city and giving people a chance to work? With that kind of dough there's gotta be a way to make it happen!

I've wondered how fast things would change for the better if thousands of jobs were suddenly available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    Trillion dollars eh? How about Bringing factory jobs back to the city and giving people a chance to work? With that kind of dough there's gotta be a way to make it happen!

I've wondered how fast things would change for the better if thousands of jobs were suddenly available.
    Never gonna happen. Those jobs are gone....... FOR GOOD. [[and for so many reasons it would make your mind reel)

1. Pay off debt. Water Department first.
    2. Reduce everyone's water bill.
    3. Stop making it easy for suburban areas to expand by tapping into Detroit's Water supply and manage the system demand through reinvestment in older areas.

4. Invest the rest in bonds. Make safe interest instead of spending interest.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Stop making it easy for suburban areas to expand by tapping into Detroit's Water supply and manage the system demand through reinvestment in older areas.
    Does the DWSD make or lose money on its suburban operations?

If [[way back then) Detroit had refused to extend its water and sewer lines into the counties, how far away from the counties is Lake St Clair?